You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Just for laughs.

18 comments in this topic

Members
4,457 posts
6,185 battles

Lets just say, just for laughs, I have finally have lost what little remains of my mind and start down a carrier tree. Been contemplating this. I know NOTHING about them nor how to play them save for encountering them in the game. Which line would you recommend if I actually do this? Which of the low tiers carriers do you like best....if ya play them. I may regain my sanity before tonight but I my just get one today. Dunno.

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts

USN is probably easier to learn, IJN is more micromanagement heavy due to more airgroups but is usually more powerful due to the flexibility. IMO pick which one interests you more.

[TBW]
Members
6,350 posts
11,894 battles

IJN seems to have the most advantages. Then again who am I to say. I do own 3 premium ones but have only used Saipan and have just over 100 battles in them. My real suggestion is, come to your senses and give me some of what your smoking. GL.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,206 posts
8,798 battles

I will say the same thing I said in the other should I start CV's thread. With the revamp and the rather drastic change in game play waiting the the best choice.

[ASHIP]
Members
586 posts
5,221 battles

While this is obviously a totally ridiculous hypothetical that's never going to come true (obviously), if you WERE to try playing CV for the first time, my recommendation would be to play USN CV from tiers 4-6 for the easier micro, more forgiving gameplay and better air control so you can learn the ropes in a easier environment, before transitioning over to the IJN line once you've unlocked the Ranger. I also recommend that you try to skip the Hosho if possible.

PS Just in case you aren't actually joking and really are about to start playing CVs, I also recommend stocking up on vinegar. Daily vinegar showers are the only method I've found to be effective in keeping you clean while grinding CVs. That and burning down your house and all your worldly possessions, moving to a remote area of Tibet and living a hermit life, but in my experience the vinegar is the cheaper option.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,398 posts
3,661 battles

I swear to Jamaica if you don't handle your learning curve in co-op before hitting randoms I will keelhaul you.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,206 posts
8,798 battles
1 minute ago, senseNOTmade said:

While this is obviously a totally ridiculous hypothetical that's never going to come true (obviously), if you WERE to try playing CV for the first time, my recommendation would be to play USN CV from tiers 4-6 for the easier micro, more forgiving gameplay and better air control so you can learn the ropes in a easier environment, before transitioning over to the IJN line once you've unlocked the Ranger. I also recommend that you try to skip the Hosho if possible.

PS Just in case you aren't actually joking and really are about to start playing CVs, I also recommend stocking up on vinegar. Daily vinegar showers are the only method I've found to be effective in keeping you clean while grinding CVs. That and burning down your house and all your worldly possessions, moving to a remote area of Tibet and living a hermit life, but in my experience the vinegar is the cheaper option.

Yeah, lots of vinegar and a thick skin. I made the mistake of taking out the Ryujo and between my not having played one in random for many many months and it being the first match in it I stunk it up horrible. Far worse than I expected because of the added micromanaging because of the larger number of squads. That it was a tier 8 match didn't help, even the DD's were swatting my planes out of the sky.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Which line would you recommend if I actually do this?

USN is the best at lower tiers, but after tier 6 the IJN is supposed to be stronger. Or you could just learn the basics and go premium. Just keep in mind that whatever skills you learn might be null and void after they finish the CV rework in 2022.

Members
4,457 posts
6,185 battles
30 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

I swear to Jamaica if you don't handle your learning curve in co-op before hitting randoms I will keelhaul you.

Rgr Captain Bligh....will you give me 50 lashes first.  Pls

Members
4,457 posts
6,185 battles
45 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I will say the same thing I said in the other should I start CV's thread. With the revamp and the rather drastic change in game play waiting the the best choice.

Actually I was not kidding bout getting a carrier but maybe your advice is good.

Members
4,457 posts
6,185 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

IJN seems to have the most advantages. Then again who am I to say. I do own 3 premium ones but have only used Saipan and have just over 100 battles in them. My real suggestion is, come to your senses and give me some of what your smoking. GL.

I only smoke roadside ditch hemp. It's free!

Alpha Tester
2,731 posts
4,352 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah, lots of vinegar and a thick skin. I made the mistake of taking out the Ryujo and between my not having played one in random for many many months and it being the first match in it I stunk it up horrible. Far worse than I expected because of the added micromanaging because of the larger number of squads. That it was a tier 8 match didn't help, even the DD's were swatting my planes out of the sky.

That's why I stuck with Lex's four groups...I played Shok on test and got overwhelmed. Granted, it wasn't my usual mouse or keyboard I was using, but six groups can prove to be overwhelming.

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,073 battles
5 hours ago, dmckay said:

I only smoke roadside ditch hemp. It's free!

That explains the hallucinations and delusions of grandeur.

2 hours ago, pyantoryng said:

That's why I stuck with Lex's four groups...I played Shok on test and got overwhelmed. Granted, it wasn't my usual mouse or keyboard I was using, but six groups can prove to be overwhelming.

Think that's bad? Try Taiho. Did that in Space Battles. What a nightmare.

Members
1,874 posts
5,656 battles

It's advisable to look up some videos on how to play carriers. In particular, Femennenly and Farazellath are recommended.

At the very least, make sure you know the basic mechanics of strafing and manual attacks by the time you reach tier 7. Otherwise, you'll have a heck of a time.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,353 battles
13 hours ago, DonKarnage2 said:

That explains the hallucinations and delusions of grandeur.

Think that's bad? Try Taiho. Did that in Space Battles. What a nightmare.

Taiho is a glorious credit earning machine that farms Dev strikes and allows you to dominate every ship in game.

Don't call my taiho a nightmare! :Smile_izmena:

Edited by megadeux

[VW]
Members
1,843 posts
12,290 battles
On 6/23/2018 at 7:00 PM, dmckay said:

Lets just say, just for laughs, I have finally have lost what little remains of my mind and start down a carrier tree. Been contemplating this. I know NOTHING about them nor how to play them save for encountering them in the game. Which line would you recommend if I actually do this? Which of the low tiers carriers do you like best....if ya play them. I may regain my sanity before tonight but I my just get one today. Dunno.

Japan. By tier 6 you get more torpedo bombers and the choice to have more fighters. Tier 4-5 yourfighters get dominated. Higher tiers you have better strike.

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,073 battles
7 hours ago, megadeux said:

Taiho is a glorious credit earning machine that farms Dev strikes and allows you to dominate every ship in game.

When the highest up the Japanese CV Line you've made it is T6, jumping straight into the Taiho for space battles is a managerial nightmare. Did it once, was so bad I dropped down to the Republique clone... of course, I'm best at BB's anyway, so that likely had something to do with it.

Members
1,874 posts
5,656 battles
8 hours ago, megadeux said:

I admit, playing Taiho is pretty bloody glorious.

True, you don't have quite the air power of Essex, but it's immensely satisfying when you create an unavoidable cross-drop on a hapless Asashio or simply nuke a North Carolina out of existence.

On the other hand, playing against a competent Essex will make you cry (or call it OP, as one Taiho player did after I strafed and destroyed his entire bomber wave a few seconds before he could kill a half-health Grober Kurfurst).