You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Panzermarine_Yoshi

Carriers: Wait or Go For It?

17 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
2,062 battles

Just a quick question for you guys (especially anyone with carrier experience):  I am working to complete the Yamamoto Collection and thinking of starting down the IJN carrier line for some of the campaign tasks later on.  Given the current game state (patch 7.5 ish)/player attitude/meta/etc. is now a good time to start on a carrier line (I am a battleship main, and the carrier line is open for me already)?  Also any tips for playing carriers would be appreciated.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
124 posts
4,230 battles

Id say repeat the missions as doing a new carrier line just for the missions is not a good idea.. Only do cv's if you enjoy what they bring and their playstyle. Its never a bad time to start cv's it only gets hard and seeing as a new crusier lines is about to be finished id say now is as good a time as any. Do note that the new T10 will have stupid strong aa so practice them bb skills :3

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,338 battles

Go for it, learn everything you can and try to go for new things. CCs are dynamic and complex, it's a fun class to learn, but it is very painful sometimes.

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
7,234 battles
2 minutes ago, Panzermarine_Yoshi said:

Just a quick question for you guys (especially anyone with carrier experience):  I am working to complete the Yamamoto Collection and thinking of starting down the IJN carrier line for some of the campaign tasks later on.  Given the current game state (patch 7.5 ish)/player attitude/meta/etc. is now a good time to start on a carrier line (I am a battleship main, and the carrier line is open for me already)?  Also any tips for playing carriers would be appreciated.

I only have played T4 & T5 CVs and almost all in PvE. Starting with T4 CVs right now is not a big deal as they will not see the new T6 US CLs. Figure another month or two, before the US cruiserpalooza calms down as 7.6 drops the US CLs on Wed, Jun 27th.

As I understand it, the Yamamoto campaign requires T8+ CVs for soem of the tasks. So unless you want to complete every task and get the medal for that, then just repeat other tasks to get the stars you need.

[TIMT]
Supertester
473 posts

Go for it.  In its current state, it's a rewarding and challenging break from the everyday grind of point and click, point and click.  The US line is fun, but a bit underpowered compared to the IJN line right now.  And when you come up against a premium, especially the Saipan, just drink a beer and say it'll all be over soon :)  Good luck and gave fun!

• Cool 1

[KWA]
Members
112 posts
7,835 battles

If you are going to play CV, the lower tier mm is being fairly friendly right now due to people playing the upper tier American cruisers and players trying to complete the new campaign. The IJN CVs is the stronger line because of their flexibility, the American CVs are easier to learn however in some games they are limited due to having fewer squadrons. I would suggest playing both lines until you unlock tier 6. At tier 6 you get Alt attacks and thus brings a variety of tools you can use. I would strongly recommend watching some of Farazelleth's gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxF2lm5U1ihA5dPzg-rE0OQ

He has individual guides for ships. They tend to be long videos and he isn't very concise but he knows his stuff.

Specifically for the Yamamoto Campaign I wouldn't say it is worth it, however if you want to try it out and see if it is fun, go for it!

From tier 7 and on however make sure your karma level is decent, most people dont understand carrier play and you tend to get reported no matter how well you do. Although I think WG might have done something about this as last night I was reported but my Karma didn't drop. So who knows.

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

The IJN T6 is how far I got in almost 3 yrs.  The only real reason not to start now is the above mentioned current Cruiserpalooza. 

You either like them or not, I doubt they will change too drastically.  They are definitely most fun if you Div with friends - they are a great team element. 

Edited by WhiteRecon

[TIMT]
Supertester
473 posts

Just give a square birth to Cleavlands and two squares to Dessies at the high tiers and your usually ok.  Near endgame hope they gave had most of their AA burned off, or bait them to blow DF on your fighters, then Alpha strike with everything you have left.

[HINON]
Members
8,793 posts

With a CV rework coming in the future I dunno if starting cvs makes sense. I'd wait until that happens or you will be having to relearn a whole new interface.

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
7,234 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

With a CV rework coming in the future I dunno if starting cvs makes sense. I'd wait until that happens or you will be having to relearn a whole new interface.

I don't know, you might make it to Hakuryu and Midway by the time the CV rework gets here. :Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Members
8,793 posts
9 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I don't know, you might make it to Hakuryu and Midway by the time the CV rework gets here. :Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah I've already made it to Midway while waiting for the carrier rework before haha. However at least at this point they seem to have a working version to tweak beyond just the concept phase.

[PVE]
Members
5,301 posts
17,724 battles

I have the USN CVs thru tier 8 and the IJN CVs thru tier 6 plus all the premium carriers in the game except for Graf. I see no point in continuing them or playing them until the rework. I may not even like what they come up with so all my carriers sit in port. I was going to break one out for that Indianapolis mission to kill 30 planes but realized I didn't care about the Indianapolis mission so figured it wasn't worth it. It is really up to you and what you want to do. IMHO the tier 4 and 5 USN carriers are just great. I would definitely give them a try. Use a 10 point captain, respec' him if need be and grind out the upgrades in co-op before hitting PvP play. They really shine with a 13 point captain but a 10 point is absolute minimum.

Members
414 posts

Whatever you do, don't practice in PvP unless you want to live in a salt mine. Nothing ruins games faster than CV players learning the ropes against anything other than bots.

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,278 battles

Go up to the point where you can strafe (T6) so you have a carrier for those shootdown missions that pop up from time to time...and stay right there. Go up to fleet carrier tier (T7) if you want a lot more planes to throw about, but that's where the premium powercreep make its ugly appearance.

T8 is where it gets truly ugly with tier 10 AA and OP premiums...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,741 battles

There is going to be a drastic change in how they play so waiting is the best option.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles
2 hours ago, Panzermarine_Yoshi said:

Play the IJN CV Line if playing Carriers truly interests you, not just for the sake of a campaign.

If you do start up the CV Line, get comfortable with the controls of Tier IV-V CVs, be familiar with AA capabilities of ships.  A problem however is that Tier IV-V CVs do not have Manual Attacks, i.e. strafes, manual TB / DB drops.  You can't practice this crucial technique at Tier IV-V.  Once you get to Tier VI it unlocks.  I highly, highly advise to stick to Tier VI until you get very familiar with Manual Attacks, especially how it concerns the air-to-air war.  There's little tactics people will do, especially starting Tier VI, to catch your planes in a strafe.  Do not be one of those scrubs that keep all their planes in one blob so that someone can strafe them all away.  If you venture into Tier VII+ without having a good grasp on Manual Attacks, especially Strafing and air-to-air tricks, you'll get massacred.

As a Carrier, you can project your power anywhere, given time, but you have finite "ammo."  You have a limited amount of planes and a few stupid moves later, you'll be running out of planes.  Whether from the enemy CV's actions or from enemy AA, which really starts ramping up starting at Tier VI (Oops, Cleveland is gone now from Tier VI) Tier VII.  You have to be smart in what you go after.

Do not throw your planes away for meager gains.  Scout, intercept, attack by all means, yes, but look to preserve your planes for the Late Game.  Late Game is where the CV can clean house.  Usually the AA Cruisers are mostly dead.  BB AA Suites have been pounded by HE spam, etc.  Teams are really spread out.  Late Game is where DDs tend to take over... Except when a CV is in the match and still has ample planes.  Everything is all beat up, the herd has been thinned out, everyone is scattered so you no longer have dangerous groups with overlapping AA.  Pick off the important targets, DDs first, then go after the BBs.

DDs & CVs get stronger the longer they are in play in a match, and CVs that still have ample bombers rule late in the game.

Lastly:  DDs are your highest priority.  Your spotting and ability to attack them is the great neutralizer of a DD.  Do this, and also be mindful to keep planes off your own DDs as much as possible.  It's a lot to juggle, but if you can maintain air spotting, attacks to neutralize the efforts of enemy DDs, you are doing your team a great service.

I've run into a number of CVs that really thought that "Going after DDs isn't my job, that's the Cruiser's job," and our team loses as a result.

People often think BBs are the priority CV target.  They're not, they're No.2.  DDs are the most important indicator of whether your team wins or loses, and if you can mangle, disrupt the enemy DDs, you're doing good in my book.  You'll also be making the job of your own DDs much more easy as your harassing and spotting efforts remove a lot of uncertainty for them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway