You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKamper

ADD Realism and SIM modes - we have aracde mode

19 comments in this topic

[UNIT-]
Members
29 posts
3,094 battles

HP = hit Point

We already have One mode of play. Arcade mode with plenty of assist to hit the enemy ships. We know how many HP are left, and the bar over the ship. etc.
This is okay for this mode. Below are 10 reasons why adding 2 more modes of play will make this game more dynamic.

1. Realistic and Sim mode will prevent charging some with low health. If you cant see how much health the ship has left - u have to figure it out by zooming in.

2. Example 1:
Current state of Arcade mode:
Ship A vs Ship B and C
. All 3 have a HP of 1000. As you fight u see the HP go down. 5 minutes in. Ship B has 300 HP left. Ship A has 900. Ship C has been destroyed.
Ship A is thinking and seeing Ship B has 300 HP. So now Ship A Known he can trade Shot for Shot with Ship B ( or even charge at it ) with no worries about being destroyed.

Now imagine if u will Ship A doesn't know how much HP Ship B has. He may still fire on ship B but isn't sure how much HP he has left. Same for Ship B. Ship B may think he is winning but in is in bad shape.
Ship A may think he is losing and turn away from Ship B even thou he is in good shape. This make for a more Dynamic game. This would be Realistic and/or Sim mode.

3, I know this is a Video game and the HP is used to speed up the game. But  hear me out below

4. Add 2 modes of play for the player base.
   4a. Arcade Mode - leave the game as it is.( the base game we play now )
   4b.Add Realistic mode and in example 1 above and examples 2,3 and 4 below.
   4c. Add Sim mode - even harder.

Just some thoughts:
My point being NO nation will broadcast to the enemy how many HP or How badly they are damaged or even the name of the ship you are fighting ( the display over the ship: name, HP and class of ship ).

Example 2: You all seen War movies. Tank vs Tank, Man vs Man, Ship vs Ship. Star Destroyer vs the Rebel Mon Calamari Cruiser. As you are watching the movie - do you see any health pool hanging over their head, ship, etc  Nope.  They just zoomed in and a looked.
Some of you may have seen actual combat. Those that did will tell you -there is NO display showing how much health is left on the target.
Example 3:  My Abrams has 400 out of 2300 HP left and that BMP-3 over there is still full health( 800/800) and his name is XYZ. Dave your Abrams still has 2300 HP. Just roll up on him. That never happened.
Look out your window. How much HP does you car have ? Go to the tank day with the mighty Jingles. I see no HP mentioned on the display or on top of the tank.

Example 4: Bismarck and Prinz Eugen vs Hood and Prince of Wales . Ships were identify by their profiles. No name and HP hanging over the ships body. Each Captain had to watch the shells land and
the damage. We all know that ended. re-watch any documentary and see if the Host of that show mentions anything about HP.

That other tank/plane game has 3 modes of play. Arcade, realistic and Simulation( sim). Sim mode is even more to true to battle conditions. Why ? No displaying of the HP and No displaying the ship name and class. You all know that game. In order for SIM mode to work here it would have to be Axis vs Allies. ( American, British and Russians ships  VS Japan. Germany and Italy).

5. I see no reason why this cannot be done here. WG has a very large player pool so the wait Ques won't be any longer.
6. Those looking for a greater challenge can select Realistic or SIM mode. That also mean no Torp lead help ) You have to know your stuff and im sure most of u do. ( ship Profiles )
7. Those looking for a quicker and easier mode can choose Arcade Mode ( the base game we are playing now )
8. Those looking not to play against other people ( i know a few ) can play against the Bot. ( we already have that - known as Co-op)
9. this would not hurt the game in any way including the Ques, why ? Because only the hardcore players will play SIM or Realistic.
10. Arcade mode i believe would be more popular because of the speed and ease of the game.

Finally in closing i believe this could increase the player base. Bring back those that for that other game for more realism.

Thank you for reading this.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6

[HYDRO]
Members
1,307 posts
3,661 battles

Regardless of any other arguments there is a very simple one against sim mode, at the moment at least. You split the playerbase and matchmaker between arcade and sim mode. That entails longer MM queues. In a server like RU it might not be bad, but on SEA or NA is a different matter.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,726 posts
7,354 battles

Since the game isn't a realism or sim game, adding those modes is rather redundant, especially since most of the base won't play those modes, which means queue times for a match in those modes would be horrific.

[EQRN]
Members
300 posts
8,639 battles

Real battles could last hours with hundreds of shells shot but less then a dozen hits for both sides combined.  People wanting realistic naval combat don’t know their history.  Battle of the Denmark Strait was an anomaly for naval combat, yet still lasted longer than WoWs matches with only one ship sunk and a few hits on two other combatants.  Plus, people think MM is messed up now, look at any historical battle and try to find any semblance of “balance”.

Members
9,863 posts

Another person who really doesn't get why this isn't a sim?:Smile_amazed:

People really are oblivious...:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
417 posts
3,620 battles

You can already play these modes:

just hit Control G when you're in battle. It's awesome.

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles

There are realistic sim naval games.  Each battle takes a couple of days to plan.  Then, after a meeting tine is agreed upon, the battle takes several hours/days.  Just like the flight sims I usually like to play.  30 min + to get he target, 2-3 min engagement, then the long return to base for rearming.  Now that I have a family, there just isn't time to spend the time a simulator requires, so I personally am glad this is an arcade game or I would not be able to play it.

As an aside, WOWP just took a step towards more realism and it may be a while before I can take the time to learn about all the new options and get one of my planes setup again to fly the way i want it to.  Very sad because I enjoyed being able to hop on and fly a flew sorties.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[UNIT-]
Members
29 posts
3,094 battles
57 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Another person who really doesn't get why this isn't a sim?:Smile_amazed:

People really are oblivious...:Smile_teethhappy:

I get it.  Read number 3.

[YARRR]
Members
393 posts
4,727 battles

I have fun with the game as is, I won't lie about it, but I come from a simulation background,  IL2, ArmA, Assetto Corsa, Silent Hunter, Cold Waters, etc...  so I've always wanted a good naval surface warfare sim.   WoWS has terrific 3D models and lots of them, so it already has a head start.   A true sim based on them would be great.

It would have to be single player because of the time that any engagement would take, much like Silent Hunter IV was when I was playing it.

It would need totally historical maps, and I recognize that this would be a very big undertaking, along with historically accurate damage modelling and weapons ballistics.

But, if done correctly, I would pay a major AAA title price up front for it.

Standing on the bridge of a CL waiting for the Japanese cruiser force to show up in a night battle situation...  Pure bliss.

[UNIT-]
Members
29 posts
3,094 battles

this can work as i stated. The realistic mode does not have to 1 hour. 20 would be fine since this is sandbox game ( the white line border )
If warthunder can make it so can this game. Just remove the Health bars. let that be a bit closer to realistic. That wont effect the MM in anyway. Plus most of u would play Arcade mode like they do in warthunder. This would be a GREAT addition to the game. Besides - anyone queing up for real mode would wait a bit longer - no big deal.

note: I did not say anything about Historical mode.

Edited by KaptainKamper

[5D]
Members
2,209 posts
13,945 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKamper said:

this can work as i stated. The realistic mode does not have to 1 hour. 20 would be fine since this is sandbox game ( the white line border )
If warthunder can make it so can this game. Just remove the Health bars. let that be a bit closer to realistic. That wont effect the MM in anyway. Plus most of u would play Arcade mode like they do in warthunder. This would be a GREAT addition to the game. Besides - anyone queing up for real mode would wait a bit longer - no big deal.

note: I did not say anything about Historical mode.

Copying what other games do is usually the start of a death spiral.

Plus if the majority of players play the arcade mode what is the point of wasting all that money on programming when it can be better spent on fresh ideas?

You just torpedoed your own argument for the mode if there is little economic benefit WG can derive from it.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,735 posts
2,011 battles

Has Historic Battles returned to World of Tanks at all?

[UNIT-]
Members
29 posts
3,094 battles
4 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Copying what other games do is usually the start of a death spiral.

Plus if the majority of players play the arcade mode what is the point of wasting all that money on programming when it can be better spent on fresh ideas?

You just torpedoed your own argument for the mode if there is little economic benefit WG can derive from it.

Copying you say ?  Where do u think WG got the idea of their version of 30 vs 30 Global Operation. maybe from From Armored Warfare.
I can't prove it. Who knows. It is not copying. it is making WG a  better product.
So you saying if you make a cowboy movie i can't make one with a Spin off
Example 1: Star Trek  the Spin The Orville

Example 2:
How about cars. Americas made it first.Invented them. Model for example.  Then explain Honda, VWs, BMWs, Etc.
Are you saying these are copies ? Plus when these other
manufactures got in the market espaeiclly after WW2 in the 1960s They put a major dent in the US market and had to be bailed out by the Feds.
Look out the windows how many American cars do you see ?
Example3:
Who build the first japanese battlecrusier - the Brits. Then japan built the rest.

We All feed off others idea.

Majority of player playing Arcade ? There is no other mode to test you theory. There is only Arcade.

Remember Historical mode - they tried it and no one played it. Wasn't fun 8 shermans going up against 2 Tigers and 3 stugs. Most Que to play the Germans.

Also - you never if your going to like/dislike something unless u try it.
And this isn't a money issue. They code in modules like i do.  WG are already Billionaires since 2016. This is not secret.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gaming-has-a-new-billionaire/1100-6435097/.
Taking away displaying HP and selecting another mode is not a major undertaking.

I still say this will help the Game grow.
ANd what if WG decides to break the tier 10 limit and go to 1960s to the 1980 tanks
Hey in beta everyone said there wouldn't be an M60 in the game.  Where here it is. It will only HELP the game grow.

I Torpedoed nothing.

[UNIT-]
Members
29 posts
3,094 battles
3 hours ago, Hurlbut said:

Has Historic Battles returned to World of Tanks at all?

Nope. But it did not try them from testing the waters.

You can say this for any product.
Example 1:
The Pinto. Nice idea until the cars exploded from rear end collisions. They don't make those anymore either.

I can think of tons of example that were disconnect for tons of reasons.
That wasn't a coding nightmare for WG. Any software coder can crank that out in days or less.

[5D]
Members
2,209 posts
13,945 battles
14 hours ago, KaptainKamper said:

Copying you say ?  Where do u think WG got the idea of their version of 30 vs 30 Global Operation. maybe from From Armored Warfare.
I can't prove it. Who knows. It is not copying. it is making WG a  better product.
So you saying if you make a cowboy movie i can't make one with a Spin off
Example 1: Star Trek  the Spin The Orville

Example 2:
How about cars. Americas made it first.Invented them. Model for example.  Then explain Honda, VWs, BMWs, Etc.
Are you saying these are copies ? Plus when these other
manufactures got in the market espaeiclly after WW2 in the 1960s They put a major dent in the US market and had to be bailed out by the Feds.
Look out the windows how many American cars do you see ?
Example3:
Who build the first japanese battlecrusier - the Brits. Then japan built the rest.

We All feed off others idea.

Majority of player playing Arcade ? There is no other mode to test you theory. There is only Arcade.

Remember Historical mode - they tried it and no one played it. Wasn't fun 8 shermans going up against 2 Tigers and 3 stugs. Most Que to play the Germans.

Also - you never if your going to like/dislike something unless u try it.
And this isn't a money issue. They code in modules like i do.  WG are already Billionaires since 2016. This is not secret.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gaming-has-a-new-billionaire/1100-6435097/.
Taking away displaying HP and selecting another mode is not a major undertaking.

I still say this will help the Game grow.
ANd what if WG decides to break the tier 10 limit and go to 1960s to the 1980 tanks
Hey in beta everyone said there wouldn't be an M60 in the game.  Where here it is. It will only HELP the game grow.

I Torpedoed nothing.

I expected you to be dense and use examples that have no bearing to the video game industry. Agree to disagree at this point and move on.

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,945 battles

the game is already "realistic",CVs stomp everything,just like real life.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,027 posts
3,845 battles
On 6/23/2018 at 6:18 AM, FrodoFraggin said:

Real battles could last hours with hundreds of shells shot but less then a dozen hits for both sides combined.  People wanting realistic naval combat don’t know their history.  Battle of the Denmark Strait was an anomaly for naval combat, yet still lasted longer than WoWs matches with only one ship sunk and a few hits on two other combatants.  Plus, people think MM is messed up now, look at any historical battle and try to find any semblance of “balance”.

You should be careful with broadbase assumptions. There are many that enjoyed naval sims (Fighting Steel (and the addon FS Project that expanded it), the Great Naval Battles series, etc etc) but they have for the most part dried up and gone the way of the dinosaurs.

The problem is, the payer base in this game isnt as deep as the OP seems to think, and as a few have mentioned....OMG the MM Que times. Few if any would wait as long as it would be required to get a match. 

Then you have to add in an even longer delay to find enough teams to flesh out Axis vAllies scenarios...good lord...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles
16 hours ago, KaptainKamper said:

Example 2:
How about cars. Americas made it first.Invented them.

Karl Benz was German, yo.