You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Good cruiser to help me improve my gameplay

35 comments in this topic

Members
207 posts
4,266 battles

I've been doing some research and the Murmansk  seems to come high rated. I'm enjoying my perth but am struggling with my Atlanta. Is she a good ship at her tier? How does she play compared to the 2 ships I mentioned. Is she worth the 16.00 price tag she's going for in the shop? TIA

[HYDRO]
Members
1,319 posts
3,668 battles

If you are after a more jack of all trades ship, I recommend DeGrasse. She can do almost everything you want a cruiser to do+ you can use her in Operations. 

Murmansk is a pretty good ship that I enjoy, but has been a victim of T5 MM and very fragile armor.

Edited by warheart1992

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Most fun way to play Murmansk is get into some open space near the reds and do the Murmansk Dance... lock rudder one side or the other, go at full speed and let rip with her guns. Do a couple revolutions (sic i know) then switch rudder hard to other direction, rinse, repeat. It's almost mino-like. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,966 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I've been doing some research and the Murmansk  seems to come high rated. I'm enjoying my perth but am struggling with my Atlanta. Is she a good ship at her tier? How does she play compared to the 2 ships I mentioned. Is she worth the 16.00 price tag she's going for in the shop? TIA

Have you played the Omaha in the US Tech Tree line? You might want to work your way up to her and play her for a bit if you haven't, because they are the same class. If you absolutely loathe everything about the Omaha, Murmansk is possibly not for you.

[CUTE]
Members
5,155 posts
3,430 battles

When I was beginning to play this game, the ship that helped me "learn" the most after playing it for a soild 50-60 games was Tenryu. 

[KP]
Members
1,998 posts
18,464 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Completely different play style compared to Atlanta or Perth. If you want to improve your Cruiser play stick a 15-16 point captain in the USS Phoenix. It's one of the best ships at low tier to prepare you for higher tier game play.

[NPG]
Members
57 posts
1,846 battles

People are going to think I'm off my rocker for this but I'd say Nermburg. (Probably spelled that wrong) if nothing else she will teach you to not get touched. She's frustrating to start with but she has fast firing guns an ok aa still keeps torps for those oh crap moment with a decent range and has a shell arc that is floaty enough to shoot over some land but not so floaty that they hit the edge of space before coming back down. She can still set plenty of fires if need be and in close her fast fire rate with the AP can keep the citadels coming. A decent DD Hunter and a good harassment ship.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,327 posts
11,458 battles

She is an Omaha with Russian upgrades.

If you can play an Omaha in a tier 7 match and have fun, then get her.

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,350 posts
14,771 battles

If you want to learn good cruiser play,  imo one of the tier V cruisers are best to learn on because you have to learn quickly how to deal with BBs as well as cruisers two tiers higher than you.  If you can learn that and do well at tier V it prepares you for higher tier cruiser play.   And while I think playing the Murmansk is great fun, it's play style is a bit different as has been pointed out above.  If you can play the Omaha well (which can be challenging) it would make you ready for higher tiers.  I would not even consider getting the Atlanta until you feel you know how to survive and deal damage in mid tier cruisers since you will just get frustrated with it I'd guess.  Good luck.

[SF-A]
Members
2,849 posts
5,548 battles
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I would actually just go get Kuma in the tech tree. She's fragile, but has high firepower. It's a good ship for teaching you to position, push, and angle. If you want a premium, Molotov does the same.

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Strongly urge you to spend time on youtube watching how top tier players play cruisers. No one ship will help you get better than any other ship as each has its strengths and they may all be different. some with torps some without...Personally, I find the US cruiser line to be the most rewarding and probably one of the best teaching lines as you must protect your ship sides at all time. Experience is the best teacher but watching really good players will shorten that learning curve drastically.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles

The days when I would recommend Murmansk have passed.  She can be OK in stilled hands, but the days of "The Three Witches" Omaha, Marblehead and Murmansk have passed.  The best cruiser you can purchase in my opinion to raise your cruiser skill is the Molotov.  She's soft and squishy, but her guns will reward you.  If you can master the skills needed for Molotov, you'll be in a better place.

Members
878 posts
8,959 battles

My kid learned on Murmansk and really liked it.  You can learn a lot with it, but I'd much prefer to learn with Molotov or Budyonny.

Perth and any smoker will not teach good cruiser play in general IMO.

I got a ton better on cruisers grinding through the Russians (already had Zao) because of the bad concealment.  

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

atlanta is love 

atlanta is life

don't know how else to put it

atlanta is the best 

Members
434 posts
8,377 battles

It's like playing a high tier british cruiser.   If a BB is shooting at you, you better make them miss.   Except add anything with an 8 inch gun or larger.    I really enjoy the ship but the problem is,  it's always uptiered vs 7's meaning everything shooting at you has better range and 8 inch guns*.    Not to mention more hps.      After all this you have 0 AA to shoot down planes so expect any good cv to wipe you out even if your dancing the 2 step.

Other then that it's fun to pew pew with all those fast firing guns.

*British cruisers soviet cruisers and dd's not included.  Although i wouldn't get close to a soviet anything if i were you.

Edit-  So back to the original question.  I would say the murmansk is a great choice to help you improve your game play.   It will help you learn the wasd hack.   You will have torps to practice with.    AP and HE are both useable in their specific situations.  And you will learn that there is really nothing you can do about cv's but die to them so you should join the rest of the WoW's community and advocate for their removal from the game.

Edit part 2-  Actually i have the Marblehead.   Basically the same ship i think, might not have torps??? I duno.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles

Before the rework i'd have recommended the pepsi, not because she was good, but because to do well in her you had to really master the cruiser basics. These days i'm not sure what i'd recommend. Budyonny wouldn;t be a bad pick i don;t think, she's a lot better and kinder than Pepsi was but she still uses the same basic skillset.

Members
878 posts
8,959 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

atlanta is love 

atlanta is life

don't know how else to put it

atlanta is the best 

In the beginning I bought Atago instead which was a good choice.  I thought Atlanta was dumb for a long time.  Now I just keep hoping to win one in a Christmas Crate or something.  Oh well, I have Mino and will get Worcester when it hits...

Members
3,641 posts
13,487 battles
6 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

If you are after a more jack of all trades ship, I recommend DeGrasse. She can do almost everything you want a cruiser to do+ you can use her in Operations. 

^^^ This ^^^ IMHO, De Grasse is the best tier 6 Cruiser. She's kinda weak on AA but what tier 6 Cruiser since the re-assignment of Cleveland, isn't?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,319 posts
3,668 battles
1 hour ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Edit part 2-  Actually i have the Marblehead.   Basically the same ship i think, might not have torps??? I duno.

Murmansk has better rudder shift, but more importantly has for some reason the pen values of Soviet cruisers when it comes to AP. Could be wrong but I think they are equal in penetration to Chapayev :Smile_hiding:.

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles
6 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Murmansk is a pretty good ship that I enjoy, but has been a victim of T5 MM and very fragile armor.

DeGrasse is my favorite for an all around mid-tier cruiser that is fun to play and a good captain trainer.  She can still compete when up-tiered and can really excel when top tier.  I play her in the open water a lot, since she has good mobility and access to speed boost.  Cruisers that have to be parked behind an island all the time are not as fun for me (though she can do that, too, when necessary).

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,524 battles

"Cruisers" are really more than one kind of ship, with more than one style of play. Get one for the sub-type you have in mind.

To practice rock-huggers, buy an Atlanta.

To get better at kiters, play Hipper.

To learn the way of the ninja, get Atago.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,869 battles

Do you have patience and do not mind seeing your WR drop and having to struggle for awhile play American Cruisers.

But once you masterd them and surviving in them the rewards can be great.

Once you have that down, playing Cruisers in the German, IJN, French and British lines feel like a Breeze.

American Cruiser I feel sharpen your skills, so that in the long run  you improve your overall play greatly.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND