You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Formidable

Replacing Belfast

20 comments in this topic

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,431 posts
4,551 battles

So we won't be seeing Belfast in the premium shop anymore.

She's been taken off the market as she's OP and not Russian.

So... the RN tree could probably do with a replacement premium at Tier 7.

I'm thinking one of the Town Class, preferably batch II (with better pretected main turrets).

But when it comes to names, I'd like to see HMS Sheffield, even though she's batch I. Shiny Sheff was a busy ship.

40097_10.jpg

Being batch I may also make her fit at T7 alongside her smaller step-sister Fiji. The Crown Colonies were cut-down Towns, with pretty much exactly the same armament on a smaller displacement.

So how would we distinguish her from Fiji

We could give her the same attributes as Belfast ;)

But seriously ... why not?

Put Sheffield in her 1945 config and she has two less twin 4in mounts than Belfast, as well as three less 6in guns and a smaller displacement.

Gimmicks could be balanced by making her less nimble than Fiji, along with her more vulnerable main armament and bigger size.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
1,997 posts
18,455 battles
10 hours ago, HMS_Formidable said:

So we won't be seeing Belfast in the premium shop anymore.

She's been taken off the market as she's OP and not Russian.

So... the RN tree could probably do with a replacement premium at Tier 7.

I'm thinking one of the Town Class, preferably batch II (with better pretected main turrets).

But when it comes to names, I'd like to see HMS Sheffield, even though she's batch I. Shiny Sheff was a busy ship.

40097_10.jpg

Being batch I may also make her fit at T7 alongside her smaller step-sister Fiji. The Crown Colonies were cut-down Towns, with pretty much exactly the same armament on a smaller displacement.

So how would we distinguish her from Fiji

We could give her the same attributes as Belfast ;)

But seriously ... why not?

Put Sheffield in her 1945 config and she has two less twin 4in mounts than Belfast, as well as three less 6in guns and a smaller displacement.

Gimmicks could be balanced by making her less nimble than Fiji, along with her more vulnerable main armament and bigger size.

I work IRL for Sheffield Marine Propeller I approve this. LOL

• Cool 3

Members
640 posts
18,452 battles

I want to buy belfast , and not exist for sale, because is OP and lots crying guys issues for remove of shop. 

1,542 posts
26 battles

I definitely like the idea of the HMS Sheffield! Will pass this idea along for you guys! :D 

[5IN]
Members
24 posts
2,165 battles

Why replace it?  I see them in nearly every random battle, and those who have it I'm sure prefer nobody gets any equivalents. 

I've played a couple of F2P games that sold something considered OP for a while then removed.  They end up keeping users...while chasing off new players.

Guess that's the direction.

I do wonder though, with all the OP claims, is it that much better than the limited access USS Flint or Black?

Edited by JaxTek

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,054 battles

Replacing Belfast? Not so much in favor of that, and no I don't have one.

However, I am right there with you that the Town, Crown Colony, and Arethusa classes of ship should ALL be represented in the game.

Hopefully, we'll get them in some kind of Commonweath Cruiser Line. I hope that's the reason why we've not seen them yet.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
207 posts
2,337 battles
On 6/25/2018 at 7:06 AM, JaxTek said:

Why replace it?  I see them in nearly every random battle, and those who have it I'm sure prefer nobody gets any equivalents. 

Oh so totally fair for people who like RN Cruisers but didn't have the chance to get the Belfast for whatever reason.

I'd like to see the Ceylon variant of the Crown Colony class in some form 

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,515 battles

Love the Belfast and the Fiji too! The Belfast is probably the only cruiser that can hold off 3-4 ships at 12-15 km range while using her smoke judicially. IFHE makes her a downright terror.:cap_rambo: 

Members
3 posts
216 battles
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 2:29 AM, DonKarnage2 said:

Replacing Belfast? Not so much in favor of that, and no I don't have one.

However, I am right there with you that the Town, Crown Colony, and Arethusa classes of ship should ALL be represented in the game.

Hopefully, we'll get them in some kind of Commonweath Cruiser Line. I hope that's the reason why we've not seen them yet.

I hate to break this to you, but all of them are already in game.
The Town classes (yes, there are two separate class groups with that name) are Weymouth (1910 Town, batch 2) & Edinburgh (1936 Town, batch 3).
The Crown Colony class is represented by Fiji.
The Arethusa class is a premium only & non-British; Huang-He. Which is a shame, as an Arethusa is a very viable alternative for Emerald at Tier V; she's certainly my choice for that Tier in the RN CL line.
The only major missing light cruiser class at the moment is the Dido class; give her HE & she's a possible future Tier VI premium.

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
27 minutes ago, Andy_Foulds said:

The Town classes (yes, there are two separate class groups with that name) are Weymouth (1910 Town, batch 2) & Edinburgh (1936 Town, batch 3).
The Arethusa class is a premium only & non-British; Huang-He. Which is a shame, as an Arethusa is a very viable alternative for Emerald at Tier V; she's certainly my choice for that Tier in the RN CL line.
The only major missing light cruiser class at the moment is the Dido class; give her HE & she's a possible future Tier VI premium.

Just because they are already in game doesn't mean WG can't make similar clones of them, like Iowa and Missouri or Leander and Perth for example. Huang Meh has a fantasy postwar refit and can't be used to train RN captains, so it doesn't count imo. Dido would be nice, but Sheffield has a very rich history and would be the perfect replacement for the screwed up Belfast.

Welcome to the forums btw.

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
216 battles
On 03/07/2018 at 1:50 PM, Wolcott said:

Just because they are already in game doesn't mean WG can't make similar clones of them, like Iowa and Missouri or Leander and Perth for example. Huang Meh has a fantasy postwar refit and can't be used to train RN captains, so it doesn't count imo. Dido would be nice, but Sheffield has a very rich history and would be the perfect replacement for the screwed up Belfast.

Welcome to the forums btw.

Sheffield would be a very good candidate for a Belfast replacement (if one's needed); being one of the earlier Southampton sub-class, she'd have 2/3rds the long-range & only half the mid-range AAA as well as being half a knot slower. Keep the torpedoes & spotter plane but lose the radar & she'd fit well at T7. 
I mention Dido as she's missing from the CL branch; being based on Arethusa's hull with 5 twin QF5.25"/50 (134mm), she'd be a mini-Minotaur with HE, or a T6 cousin to Atlanta & a unique ship to own as a premium; I certainly can't see a place for her otherwise (even if WG someday produce an RN CA branch).

Thanks, I've actually been here awhile - I'm an EU migrant just visiting & found this a subject worth commenting on. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Andy_Foulds

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,431 posts
4,551 battles
On 7/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, Andy_Foulds said:

I'm afraid you are wrong.

There is the World War I Town class, and the World War II town class.

The Batch I 1936 class was led by HMS Southampton. These are not represented in game.

The Batch II sub-group was led by HMS Gloucester. They had some minor modifications, mainly better protected main guns. These are not in game.

The Batch III 'stretched' ships was the Belfast class. They were going to carry 16x6in, or 12x8in. But reasons. There were two ships, Edinburgh and Belfast. Edinburgh is in game.

Belfast was a Premium as she is a museum ship. But reports are she has been permanently withdrawn from sale for being OP.

The Crown Colony group was a cut-down, lightweight version of the Town class in order to be cheaper and faster to build. They are in-game as Fiji.

The Swiftsure class was a modified and updated design derived from the Crown colony. These are not in game.

So that's a pretty fair whack of the Royal Navy's primary World War II cruiser group not represented in-game.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

File_000.thumb.jpg.eae194c9036ae2051edd142d0871f0b9.jpg

* Ooops, this is HMS London, the modified County Class - her rebuilt structure being based on the Town template.

Members
3 posts
216 battles
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:45 AM, HMS_Formidable said:

I'm afraid you are wrong.

Really?

There is the World War I Town class, and the World War II town class.

The Batch I 1936 class was led by HMS Southampton. These are not represented in game.

The Batch II sub-group was led by HMS Gloucester. They had some minor modifications, mainly better protected main guns. These are not in game.

The Batch III 'stretched' ships was the Belfast class. They were going to carry 16x6in, or 12x8in. But reasons. There were two ships, Edinburgh and Belfast. Edinburgh is in game.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, Andy_Foulds said:

Weymouth (1910 Town, batch 2) & Edinburgh (1936 Town, batch 3).

I said nothing about the sub-classes being represented, just the class overall. Also, the Royal Navy's official name of the 1936 Town Batch 3 subclass is Edinburgh, not Belfast.
The sub-classes would be alternatives at each tier, or at the tier below with a slight nerf as suggested here:

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, Wolcott said:

Sheffield has a very rich history and would be the perfect replacement for the screwed up Belfast.

Can't upvote this enough; this would also work with the Crown Colony batch 2 (Ceylon) class.

Belfast was a Premium as she is a museum ship. But reports are she has been permanently withdrawn from sale for being OP.

Belfast, presented in-game after her 1956 post-Korean war refit, has indeed been removed as was Mikhail Kutuzov at Tier 8. And they were indeed widely considered to be OP in the right hands, although that was based on taking a solid design & adding a consumable - Radar for the Belfast & Smoke Generator for the Kutuzov.

The Crown Colony class was a cut-down, lightweight version of the Town class in order to be cheaper and faster to build. They are in-game as Fiji.

The Swiftsure class was a modified and updated design derived from the Crown colony. These are not in game.

Actually, Fiji only represents the batch 1 Crown Colony class; batch 2 were the Ceylon subclass, the Swiftsure class (of which only 3 were completed as designed - Swiftsure, Superb & Ontario (HMCS, ex-Minotaur)) were modified Ceylons, all with 3x3 152mm main guns & increased AAA over the Fiji subclass. Of the other four Swiftsures, Hawke was scrapped when 95% complete (including her Mk 24 DP main guns), Defence, Bellerophon (completed as Tiger) & Blake were of a different design and were eventually completed as the Tiger class cruisers.
Placing either Ceylon or Swiftsure in-game is problematic, they're best as either a T6 premium with 6km torpedoes or as a Commonwealth T7 (Ontario) with an ROF boost to compensate for the missing 3 guns.

So that's a pretty fair whack of the Royal Navy's primary World War II cruiser group not represented in-game.

The word you're missing is light & as the classes have a presence as a whole, I wouldn't claim they were entirely unrepresented - apart from Dido. Also missing are the RN CA's, which is a different subject.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
451 posts
958 battles

As a newer player, I agree...the British cruiser line lacking a premium ship is mind-boggling when other lines, like the US cruisers, have at least 5 premiums.  Even the French have one currently obtainable premium cruiser, and it's even decent...mon dieu!  I am working my way up the US, KM & RN cruiser lines and would love to see the RN get a premium cruiser back into the rotation.  Training cruiser captains on a premium battleship just isn't the same...

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

If they never sell the Belfast again, then this would sure work as a replacement. If anything she would be a better trainer than the Belfast...If we assume AP only etc... 

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles
On 6/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, JaxTek said:

and those who have it I'm sure prefer nobody gets any equivalents. 

:Smile_smile::Smile_great::Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by WhiteRecon

Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

Great post.

My vote would be to nerf/balance a new version of the Belfast and sell it.  I keep my version and could even buy the new one.

It would be similar to the two versions of Graf Zeppelin if that's still a thing.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,431 posts
4,551 battles

Well... if they need modelling material for a Batch 1 1930s town class, the material is available.

This book is extraordinary. Every page is another original constructors drawing, with notes!

HMS Birmingham

Tho I'd prefer batch 2: the turrets were protected.

• Cool 1