Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LaurenBacall

It's not the car, it's the driver.

47 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

11
[BOMBS]
Members
12 posts
6,564 battles

Dear Wargaming,

MM is *seriously* broken.  Since you "fixed" it, nearly every match I've been in has resulted in a mismatched outcome.  Regardless of win/loss ratio, I'm bored.  Boredom = no more of my $$$.  And I've given you a *lot* of my money.  Recommendations:

1. Please limit tier separation to 1 tier.  Not that this has anything to do with my boredom, but I do get tired of playing tier 8's against tier 10's.  Since I've leveled nearly every line to tier 8, this is a serious problem for me.  Please address it.

2. Matchmaking should reflect player skill, not ship capability. Obviously, though the latter *is* a factor, it's not as dominant compared to the former.  If your information indicates otherwise, than we need to know.

3. Oh, and on that count, how about a better combat log?  For real, I'd like to know *exactly* what's killing me and what's killing other players, so - I don't know - improve my game play based on hard data instead of hear-say and guesstimates.

Thanks for such a great game.  Now, don't screw it up any further.  Your revenue is on the line.

Sincerely,

  • Cool 6
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44
[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
375 posts
4,279 battles

What you want is division-less MM.  But maybe you also like to play divisions so maybe you don't actually want that.  It's complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
417
[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,807 battles
4 minutes ago, LaurenBacall said:

2. Matchmaking should reflect player skill, not ship capability. Obviously, though the latter *is* a factor, it's not as dominant compared to the former.  If your information indicates otherwise, than we need to know.

How are we defining player skill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,824
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

The MM won't Change.

Your withholding of your funds won't compel them to Change.

Skill is only perspective. There are 1,000s of player who screwed the pooch in their first couple 1000 battles and the result is low WR and WTR. So what "Skill" would the MM actually look for? Daily, Weekly,or Monthly?

Would the MM look at  just the players ship in que or the overall?

Some players are Great in one Class or type and totally suck in others.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,509
[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
11 minutes ago, LaurenBacall said:

Dear Wargaming,

MM is *seriously* broken.  Since you "fixed" it, nearly every match I've been in has resulted in a mismatched outcome.  Regardless of win/loss ratio, I'm bored.  Boredom = no more of my $$$.  And I've given you a *lot* of my money.  Recommendations:

1. Please limit tier separation to 1 tier.  Not that this has anything to do with my boredom, but I do get tired of playing tier 8's against tier 10's.  Since I've leveled nearly every line to tier 8, this is a serious problem for me.  Please address it.

2. Matchmaking should reflect player skill, not ship capability. Obviously, though the latter *is* a factor, it's not as dominant compared to the former.  If your information indicates otherwise, than we need to know.

3. Oh, and on that count, how about a better combat log?  For real, I'd like to know *exactly* what's killing me and what's killing other players, so - I don't know - improve my game play based on hard data instead of hear-say and guesstimates.

Thanks for such a great game.  Now, don't screw it up any further.  Your revenue is on the line.

Sincerely,

It hurt me reading this, because I feel so bad for you to have developed such entitlement. Everything in this post contributes about as much as the next person, money put in notwithstanding, and yet you felt the need to make it more insignificant by the manner you present it in. Enjoy seeing nothing here fulfilled.

Edited by Pulicat
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[BOMBS]
Members
12 posts
6,564 battles

Fair points, all.  I'm just saying that my understanding is that MM is matching based on ship class/tier alone and not an indication of a player's ability.  WG has a *billion* stats to work with, but I really do believe that win rate is the best overall indicator.  Winners, win - it's in their blood.

Still, since the MM fix, I *am* seeing a lot more lop-sided matches, as are others in my clan.  And it's taking the game down a notch for me.  Your mileage may vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[CUTE]
Members
155 posts
12,372 battles
7 minutes ago, LaurenBacall said:

Dear Wargaming,

MM is *seriously* broken.  Since you "fixed" it, nearly every match I've been in has resulted in a mismatched outcome.  Regardless of win/loss ratio, I'm bored.  Boredom = no more of my $$$.  And I've given you a *lot* of my money.  Recommendations:

1. Please limit tier separation to 1 tier.  Not that this has anything to do with my boredom, but I do get tired of playing tier 8's against tier 10's.  Since I've leveled nearly every line to tier 8, this is a serious problem for me.  Please address it.

2. Matchmaking should reflect player skill, not ship capability. Obviously, though the latter *is* a factor, it's not as dominant compared to the former.  If your information indicates otherwise, than we need to know.

3. Oh, and on that count, how about a better combat log?  For real, I'd like to know *exactly* what's killing me and what's killing other players, so - I don't know - improve my game play based on hard data instead of hear-say and guesstimates.

Thanks for such a great game.  Now, don't screw it up any further.  Your revenue is on the line.

Sincerely,

1. There is not a significant player base to support a Match maker for +/-1 Tier spreads.  A well played tier 8 ship can still do significant damage in a tier 10 game.  You as a player need to be more aware of the enemy battleships/other significant threats to your survival.  Survival as a tier 8 in tier 10 match is important.

 

2.  There will never be a skill based match maker as far as we know.  The game would become incredibly stale with all the higher skilled players only playing higher skilled players.  Randoms are just that. Random.  You could get a decent team or an awful one.  Just do your best in each match and try to influence the game.

3. The combat log is fairly detailed as is.  In your after battle report screen there is a section that shows who did what damage to your ship with what ammo type etc, by hovering over I believe "Artilery"  among other options.  If you are trying to improve, asking skilled players is a good place to start.  I for one don't mind offering advice.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
18 minutes ago, LaurenBacall said:

Dear Wargaming,

MM is *seriously* broken.  Since you "fixed" it, nearly every match I've been in has resulted in a mismatched outcome.  Regardless of win/loss ratio, I'm bored.  Boredom = no more of my $$$.  And I've given you a *lot* of my money.  Recommendations:

1. Please limit tier separation to 1 tier.  Not that this has anything to do with my boredom, but I do get tired of playing tier 8's against tier 10's.  Since I've leveled nearly every line to tier 8, this is a serious problem for me.  Please address it.

2. Matchmaking should reflect player skill, not ship capability. Obviously, though the latter *is* a factor, it's not as dominant compared to the former.  If your information indicates otherwise, than we need to know.

3. Oh, and on that count, how about a better combat log?  For real, I'd like to know *exactly* what's killing me and what's killing other players, so - I don't know - improve my game play based on hard data instead of hear-say and guesstimates.

Thanks for such a great game.  Now, don't screw it up any further.  Your revenue is on the line.

Sincerely,

You are not going to get very far with this post sorry to say and let the SALT FLY.

Salty GIF - Salty GIFs
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[BOMBS]
Members
12 posts
6,564 battles

I'm not entitled, I'm BORED.  And, yes, I *can* vote with my money.  WG put themselves in that position when they decided to run with a freemium model.  Paying players subsidize the the non-paying players.  Same with community supporters - they get more attention and consideration.  Why? Because they invest in the game with their time.  I'm no different, I simply invest with my money.

But what I'm saying is - regardless of what YOU do - I'm less satisfied since the MM fix than before.  Matches seem more lopsided.  I can't get hard stats on what's really going on in the game.  And I'm saying there are other games out there all competing for my hard-earned cash, and time, and enthusiasm. 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[1CVDV]
Members
63 posts
2,736 battles

I got top score alot in my t8s vs t10s. Improve your play. Just because they are in t10s doesn't mean they are decent players.  Its a right of passage into t10

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[BOMBS]
Members
12 posts
6,564 battles

P.S. "Salty" is always the canned response to every complaint/concern, eh?  Guess I shouldn't bother posting here, eh?  Great "community" support.  But why should expect anything more from the internet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[WOLF2]
Members
1,128 posts
12,855 battles

I think it's pretty clear by the insane prices people pay for virtual ships and the rate they come out with new premiums that it is about the ships - We love them, covet them and want to have sex with them :)

Forget your delusions of win rate and skill - nobody likes beancounters  … you don't stand a chance o7.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
124 posts
4,230 battles

you are bored of playing T8's vs T10's and want the mm to reflect how [you] want the game to function. Not how it works but good try and it does tell you what has been killing you or just look at your replay and figure out how you lost all your hp. Its prob your positioning but hey people can carry with a T8 in a T10 heavy game so why cant u? also this [Regardless of win/loss ratio, I'm bored.  Boredom = no more of my $$$.  And I've given you a *lot* of my money. ] all I can say is 

62395625_p0_master1200.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[BOMBS]
Members
12 posts
6,564 battles

OK.  I hear what your saying.  But, seriously, nothing afoot with matchmaker?  Really?  I'm not asking for high-tier vs. high-tier players, just a realistic average win-rate vs. average win-rate - whatever % that is in any given match.  MM monitor makes it pretty clear that - on average - teams with higher average win rates do, indeed, do better vs. teams with lower win rates.  Why not address that?  Especially when MM creates match-ups that have a 20% or more mismatch?  That seems like an easy fix.

And +/- 2 tiers means that the lower tier player is going to have to be hella cautious, right?  Often, that means in the back, out of range, etc.  "Right of passage?" Sure.  But, why is that necessary?  Because you simply don't *want* to go +/- 1 tier?  Why not?  There's obviously enough players in the queue.  WHY SO RESISTANT TO CHANGE?

And post-battle stats is not good enough.  I want to know exactly what every point of damage I did where and why.  Call me a "data brat", but this data is available in other games, why not here?  Every Youtube basically has the same advice, which is generalist at best.  "AP under 'x' km or when broadside, I'am for the waterline, yadda yadda."  But I'd like to know where my Nurnurg's AP rounds are doing the most damage vs. a Fuso without having to research a white paper.

And the player's skill *IS* more of a deciding factor than a ship's stats.  Arguing differently just boggles my mind. :D

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

there have been so many threads on "skill" based MM, and they have always been completely debunked. look some of them up. it's not our job to regurgitate info every time someone is too lazy to use the search function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[BOMBS]
Members
12 posts
6,564 battles

"

6 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

there have been so many threads on "skill" based MM, and they have always been completely debunked. look some of them up. it's not our job to regurgitate info every time someone is too lazy to use the search function.

Please, links to this "debunked" theory.  With data.  I'll wait.  Seriously.

Player skill is EVERYTHING.  In every game.  Or else it's not a game, it's a simulation.  Honestly can't fathom some folks not understanding that. 

(BTW, I get the irony of me arguing skill vs. ship and then asking for a +/- 1 tier separation.  You may have a point that t8 v. t10 is playable - I've had more than my number of wins in this situation.  I'm just saying that it's not as enjoyable for me - hiding, running, getting whacked by the Yamato, etc.  Since all I've got are t8s to level, being relegated to this fate isn't very "fun and engaging".)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,014
[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,781 battles

The problem with +2/-2 MM is that around half the players like it and the other half do not. Wargaming does not see it as a problem so there are no plans on changing how it is done. Course the most cited reason in the forums for "I Quit" posts is matchmaking. Poor MM is the second most cited reason for poor Steam reviews for those that left comments. Good thing it isn't a problem... 

Personally I hate matchmaking but honestly don't care enough about the game to argue about it anymore. I just take my tier 8's into a match, blap a few high tier targets a few times and even on a loss I make credits. I don't care if we win or lose, just go in knowing that I am low tier and there isn't anything I can do about it. Nothing about it is enjoyable, only do that a few games to farm my crates and then move onto a game I find more fun. 

It is painfully obvious why we have +2/-2 MM. The game bleeds players at the mid tiers, IMHO it is mainly due to matchmaking. Many players like me see tiers 9 & 10 as boring and economically punishing so don't bother to grind the ship lines beyond tier 8. Fewer players at those tiers means to keep them playing, they have to drag in other tiers to make it work which only frustrates other players who then leave the game. It is a self defeating strategy, and I expect to see +3/-3 matchmaking in the future as the game dies. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[BOMBS]
Members
12 posts
6,564 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The problem with +2/-2 MM is that around half the players like it and the other half do not. Wargaming does not see it as a problem so there are no plans on changing how it is done. Course the most cited reason in the forums for "I Quit" posts is matchmaking. Poor MM is the second most cited reason for poor Steam reviews for those that left comments. Good thing it isn't a problem... 

Personally I hate matchmaking but honestly don't care enough about the game to argue about it anymore. I just take my tier 8's into a match, blap a few high tier targets a few times and even on a loss I make credits. I don't care if we win or lose, just go in knowing that I am low tier and there isn't anything I can do about it. Nothing about it is enjoyable, only do that a few games to farm my crates and then move onto a game I find more fun. 

It is painfully obvious why we have +2/-2 MM. The game bleeds players at the mid tiers, IMHO it is mainly due to matchmaking. Many players like me see tiers 9 & 10 as boring and economically punishing so don't bother to grind the ship lines beyond tier 8. Fewer players at those tiers means to keep them playing, they have to drag in other tiers to make it work which only frustrates other players who then leave the game. It is a self defeating strategy, and I expect to see +3/-3 matchmaking in the future as the game dies. 

What he said.  Matchmaking is BROKEN. There are alternatives, WG. Get on it, or I'll take my money elsewhere.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles
2 minutes ago, LaurenBacall said:

"

Please, links to this "debunked" theory.  With data.  I'll wait.  Seriously.

Player skill is EVERYTHING.  In every game.  Or else it's not a game, it's a simulation.  Honestly can't fathom some folks not understanding that. 

(BTW, I get the irony of me arguing skill vs. ship and then asking for a +/- 1 tier separation.  You may have a point that t8 v. t10 is playable - I've had more than my number of wins in this situation.  I'm just saying that it's not as enjoyable for me - hiding, running, getting whacked by the Yamato, etc.  Since all I've got are t8s to level, being relegated to this fate isn't very "fun and engaging".)

 

i literally just told you that i'm not going to go regurgitate the info for you and to look it up yourself. your response is to tell me to do the opposite?

search function. upper right hand corner of the screen. use it.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,015
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

The MM won't Change.

Your withholding of your funds won't compel them to Change.

Skill is only perspective. There are 1,000s of player who screwed the pooch in their first couple 1000 battles and the result is low WR and WTR. So what "Skill" would the MM actually look for? Daily, Weekly,or Monthly?

Would the MM look at  just the players ship in que or the overall?

Some players are Great in one Class or type and totally suck in others.

It'll change eventually.  They will tire of listening to people complain.  They've done things they swore they would never do before.  MM will be changed eventually too.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,014
[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,781 battles
3 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

i literally just told you that i'm not going to go regurgitate the info for you and to look it up yourself. your response is to tell me to do the opposite?

search function. upper right hand corner of the screen. use it.

I just have to laugh at you Midnight, you seem annoyed that there is another "I hate matchmaking" thread even though they get posted about once a week. There are literally hundreds of threads and thousands of posts decrying/defending matchmaking on this forum alone. Maybe you need to butch it up a bit cupcake. 

BTW not spending money on the game is the ONLY recourse left to players who as customers, are not satisfied with a company's product. It is the one thing that any business understands. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
383
[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,045 battles
1 hour ago, LaurenBacall said:

 

1. Please limit tier separation to 1 tier.  Not that this has anything to do with my boredom, but I do get tired of playing tier 8's against tier 10's.  Since I've leveled nearly every line to tier 8, this is a serious problem for me.  Please address it. 

 

Since you're leveling T8 ship you should be "lucky" to face T10 ship. I do agree it's difficult but not impossible.

Spoiler

shot-18_05.22_13_07.45-0523.thumb.jpg.f3491525c6fe05f28c56131d06e4f84e.jpg

It's not a problem for me so no need to address / fix anything.

1 hour ago, LaurenBacall said:

2. Matchmaking should reflect player skill, not ship capability. Obviously, though the latter *is* a factor, it's not as dominant compared to the former.  If your information indicates otherwise, than we need to know. 

 

Sometime MM always puts you with that person who did nothing but camp at the back 4 time in a row. Sometime it's hard no to think MM isn't rigged. But how would you put a base skill MM ? How do you define "skill" in the first place ? How the game can properly define "skill" ?

1 hour ago, LaurenBacall said:

3. Oh, and on that count, how about a better combat log?  For real, I'd like to know *exactly* what's killing me and what's killing other players, so - I don't know - improve my game play based on hard data instead of hear-say and guesstimates. 

 

The combat log is easy to read and straight forward. Even the detailed report is....well detailed enough to give what's important. I have no difficulty to improve my playstyle using their combat log (and also review or YT vid). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×