You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Which ships have you retired, and why?

59 comments in this topic

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

I tend to play my favorite ships in sprees, meaning if I start liking a ship I'll play it for many consecutive battles. Not sure if you guys do the same. However, I'm wondering what are the ships you guys have already retired, and why did you decide to retire them?

For me:

1. Furutaka-Tier 5 matchmaking, 6 guns simply not enough. She's still significant because she was the first ship I played that made me feel I was not completely useless in the game.

2. Aoba-Tier 6 matchmaking, abysmal 46.56% win rate after 451 solo battles, 6 guns is not enough, torpedo arcs stink, much weaker at her tier than Furutaka at Tier 5.

3. Colorado-Slow speed, sigma nerf from 2.0 to 1.9, too vulnerable to IFHE. However, I enjoyed my time with her.

4. Kongo-Tier 5 matchmaking, lack of overmatch, too sluggish (but fast), too fragile. She was the first BB I fell in love with, because...... BANINGU RABU.

5. New Mexico-Tier 6 matchmaking, lack of overmatch, wonky dispersion, vulnerable to IFHE, too slow.

6. Queen Elizabeth-Vulnerable to IFHE, slow, Tier 6 matchmaking, guns are too hit or miss despite the 2.0 sigma value.

As you can see, the majority of the ships I've retired are from Tiers 5 and 6.

• Boring 2

Members
449 posts
12,213 battles

I've stopped playing anything over tier 7.

The end game is too campy. There are too many gimmicks and I win buttons.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
375 posts
4,279 battles

Always been a fan of the cruisers.  When they were released, I was a big fan of the German BBs especially Scharn.  Made the mistake of playing them in a ranked season and immediately fell out of love.  German BB dispersion FTL...

Just retired Cleveland (sobs).  We'll see what happens next.   Been playing Des Moines and HIndy lately.  Fun, but, high tiers man...

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

Tier 7 is pretty much the only tier I play these days. Anything above Tier 7, the matches become too static and confusing. I've also played some other ships (relativley few / under 10 battles) but ended up not liking them, at least not right now. When I get better I might give them another chance, we'll see.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
Just now, CommodoreKang said:

Always been a fan of the cruisers.  When they were released, I was a big fan of the German BBs especially Scharn.  Made the mistake of playing them in a ranked season and immediately fell out of love.  German BB dispersion FTL...

Just retired Cleveland (sobs).  We'll see what happens next.   Been playing Des Moines and HIndy lately.  Fun, but, high tiers man...

I feel your pain about high tiers because I have the same experience. I did well in the old Cleveland (our stats in the Tier 6 Cleveland are very similar) but unfortunately I didn't give her enough love before the split. Sad.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,109 posts
18,633 battles

Most ships below T7 including a good number of premiums. Only regular ships I play from low tiers are the Kamikaze, Gremlin, ImpNiko and the Ark Beta. 

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,410 posts
4,300 battles

I generally don't play tier 5 ships much anymore, unless the ship in question is either called Kamikaze, Kamikaze R, Fujin, or Guilio Cesare. The matchmaking is just bad for those tiers and I even prefer to just free xp past tier 5 ships.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
208 posts
3,074 battles

Really? I find gameplay below tier 8 to be far worse. Not sure how you can't like the Aoba, it's a great cruiser... Especially at that tier...Only topped by the Perth...

Members
227 posts
4,386 battles

Murmansk.

Between the stealth firing nerf,  and the protected matchmaking nerf, she is almost unplayable. 

The USN BB line is rotting in port.

The Pan Asian DD line is sold. (Deepwater torps are a gimic that doesn't fit my playstyle) 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,491 posts
8,036 battles
37 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I tend to play my favorite ships in sprees, meaning if I start liking a ship I'll play it for many consecutive battles. Not sure if you guys do the same. However, I'm wondering what are the ships you guys have already retired, and why did you decide to retire them?

For me:

1. Furutaka-Tier 5 matchmaking, 6 guns simply not enough. She's still significant because she was the first ship I played that made me feel I was not completely useless in the game.

2. Aoba-Tier 6 matchmaking, abysmal 46.56% win rate after 451 solo battles, 6 guns is not enough, torpedo arcs stink, much weaker at her tier than Furutaka at Tier 5.

3. Colorado-Slow speed, sigma nerf from 2.0 to 1.9, too vulnerable to IFHE. However, I enjoyed my time with her.

4. Kongo-Tier 5 matchmaking, lack of overmatch, too sluggish (but fast), too fragile. She was the first BB I fell in love with, because...... BANINGU RABU.

5. New Mexico-Tier 6 matchmaking, lack of overmatch, wonky dispersion, vulnerable to IFHE, too slow.

6. Queen Elizabeth-Vulnerable to IFHE, slow, Tier 6 matchmaking, guns are too hit or miss despite the 2.0 sigma value.

I havn't retired anything; i have a limitedd amount of time and with that time i pursue the presiding missions or campaigns. My flagship is Atlanta but, the Halsey campaign requires +t8 cruisers or carriers. Therefore i play Cleveland, Des Moines and Moskva.

When the missions are over its back to Atlanta and Akizuki; or Helena if she comes first.

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

Anything tier 5 can rust in port unless im grinding a line or playing with people that actually enjoy that mess of a tier.  Also, US BBs.  Once i got Kongo from the ARP missions, i switched to IJN and never looked back.

Members
98 posts
3,417 battles

My Z-52 until USN cruiser split dies down. No sense in pulling out hair over dat radar

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
28 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Tier 7 is really the best tier...... I don't really touch the other tiers anymore.

Only if you include Colorado. Actually my best tier 7 battleship, at a 64% wr.

Retired? Anything RN and cruiser beyond Emerald. The RN battleships except Warspite, (I really wanted a KGV, but the controversy over KGV/Monarch killed my interest in the line, and I never went beyond Orion.)

Des Moines, anywhere except Co-op, because no matter how I play it in Randoms, the only thing that happens is that I get shot to hell in it.

Pretty much anything above tier 7 except Akizuki. All chore and no fun makes high tiers pointless to play.

With extremely rare exceptions in Randoms for Bogue; all my carriers; Ops and Co-op being the only places they get used any more beyond that.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles

I've suspended all of mine for a month now or so, until they adjust MM for random battles for unbalanced teams.

Members
2,457 posts
12,205 battles
49 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

For me:

I need to apologize, you sent me a private message and I didn't realize it was a legit message I reacted in a less than "admiral" way. While this isn't the most public of forums,,, I have no problem with acknowledging when I was rude or wrong and eat crow at least once a week.

I'm sorry my return message was ….poor. God speed, and following winds... 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,884 battles

222 ships in port, none are retired, some I have not played yet.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,828 posts
4,003 battles

north carolina-got the alabama

QE-i have warspite,why i want this?

any tier5 DD- i have okhotnik,this tier is all about fun and okhotnik is king.

any tier5 BB-i have oct rev and giulio.

i might retire dunkerque when i get jean bart,she is a beautiful ship but she is getting powercreeped everyday,same fate as my Lowe from wot.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
5 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I need to apologize, you sent me a private message and I didn't realize it was a legit message I reacted in a less than "admiral" way. While this isn't the most public of forums,,, I have no problem with acknowledging when I was rude or wrong and eat crow at least once a week.

I'm sorry my return message was ….poor. God speed, and following winds... 

No worries.

17 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

I havn't retired anything; i have a limitedd amount of time and with that time i pursue the presiding missions or campaigns. My flagship is Atlanta but, the Halsey campaign requires +t8 cruisers or carriers. Therefore i play Cleveland, Des Moines and Moskva.

When the missions are over its back to Atlanta and Akizuki; or Helena if she comes first.

We have the same flagship in the Atlanta, but Helena and Boise will soon share her status. I actually like their playstyle despite many who don't. 

[BNKR]
Members
98 posts
2,907 battles

Abruzzi. Until WG unscrews the guns, she’s staying moored. It’s a shame as I truly like everything about her except guns that are worse than her little sister at Tier VI. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,153 posts
1,648 battles

Define "retired".  Sitting in port and not being used?  Sold?

I have, but don't use, Okhotnik and Anshan, got them from christmas boxes.  I just mothballed Nagato when I moved her captain to my new Amagi, but I also just took Fuso out of mothballs to use in Operations.

I've sold many tech tree ships, I don't recall all of them, but you can probably figure out which ones based on my signature.  I've never sold a premium.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
Just now, Helstrem said:

Define "retired".  Sitting in port and not being used?  Sold?

I have, but don't use, Okhotnik and Anshan, got them from christmas boxes.  I just mothballed Nagato when I moved her captain to my new Amagi, but I also just took Fuso out of mothballs to use in Operations.

I've sold many tech tree ships, I don't recall all of them, but you can probably figure out which ones based on my signature.  I've never sold a premium.

Sitting in port and not being used.