You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aephx

Buying a ship with Free XP?

36 comments in this topic

Members
59 posts
887 battles

Is it always just a no-no thing to do? Or, is it not a big deal / up-to-you kinda thing if you're just a casual player and really want that next class of ship?

Edited by Aephx

Members
3,774 posts

Save it if you can just grind through the ships.  Free XP you can buy free xp ships like Musashi and Kronshdat (or how ever thats spelt)  when you have enough.  Best thing is save save save.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Free Exp is best used as a Mod upgrader on your next in line Ship.

Many Players think getting the next ship will make them better but fail to realize that ship sucks STOCK.

Play the preceding ship to get the next using only the Ship exp and use the Free Exp to upgrade it.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,977 battles

some ships are bad in stock configuration,save the free exp if you can.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

I never use free exp to upgrade ships. I been saving it for those free exp ships. So far I have 3 out of 4 free exp ships

[TBW]
Members
6,322 posts
11,878 battles
58 minutes ago, Aephx said:

Is it always just a no-no thing to do? Or, is it not a big deal / up-to-you kinda thing if you're just a casual player and really want that next class of ship?

Nelson, Kronshtadt, Musashi yes absolutely, save your free XP for these ships.

Members
24 posts
978 battles

I've been saving mine and just grinding away with the ship that I want to advance in. You earn regular XP a lot faster than free XP, so I think it's a waste to level up the ships using free XP. Although, I must admit that I've been tempted to use my savings to move up a tier in the Japanese DDs.

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,890 battles
1 hour ago, Aephx said:

Generally no. Finishing the grind on a fully upgraded ship is better than starting a grind as a stock ship. You can use free XP to get critical modules (eg, the Chapayev’s B hull to get access to its powerful radar consumable). There are exceptions to this - the Emerald is so awful it’s the only ship I have free XPed past, and I am thinking about skipping the Izumo entirely.

The other best use for Free XP is saving it for free XP ships, like the Nelson, Musashi, Kronstadt or Missouri (if the latter is brought back). 

You can use Free XP to upgrade a captains skill points, however this is typically also a waste. Particularly if you already have a 19 point captain and can generate free captain XP instead. 

Good luck!

[GRFOX]
Members
2,218 posts
4,521 battles

The only time it pays to use free xp to get to the next tier. Tier 10

[WPP]
Members
455 posts
5,097 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Nelson, Kronshtadt, Musashi yes absolutely, save your free XP for these ships.

I have the Nelson, love it, and figure some day i’ll get one of the big ships... or they’ll add another lower tier Free XP ship to get.  I come from tanks where a stock tank can be almost unplayable, but with ships I haven’t found one I absolutely could play.  The worst just get upgraded in co op and as they pick up modules it feels like a better and better ship throughout the whole grind, so that’s cool too.

i guess what I’m saying is that the FreeXP ships are great and can only be gotten with FreeXP and modules can get upgraded (much quicker than the time it takes to earn that Free XP) with a few game and flags.

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
1 hour ago, Aephx said:

Depends on what you want out of the game. 

If you want to get Musashi, Nelson or Kronshtadt, then save every one. But, if you have cash to spend, you can wait for a 1:35 Elite Ship XP to Free XP sale and just get the FXP that way. (A ESXP to FXP sale was teased for the Fouth of July)

If you hate grinding through stock ships until they can get better, then use FXP to buy some or all of the modules. A lot of stock grinds can be pretty sad, so this is a fairly popular option.

FXP'ing a ship, so that you can compete in an upcoming mission or something similar, then sure, FXP to that ship. There are people that FXP from the start of a new line straight to T10, just so that they can play the T10. You can also grind stock ships in co-op and then take it into PvP. Evidently a fair number of people do that.

Personally, I have done all three. Not the straight to T10, but FXP'd ships to take advantage of a free captain respec, where the re-training was a part of the free respec. (The big Cmdr skill shuffle of 6.0, let me move almost every captain around to new ships.) I have used FXP to get some of the upgrades to make a ship grind a little bit more bearable. I have saved FXP to get Missouri before it was removed from the tech tree.

FXP is always earnable, so you don't necessarily have to pick one option and stick with it. You could do one, then later do another, come back to the first, etc. Look at what you want to do in WoWs and then pick the most useful option at the time from there.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[90THD]
Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

Personal thought is, if you don't have a 19 point captain yet, hold off on skipping ships, because battle EXP is also captain EXP, and it doesn't get easier the higher the tier. Also, low tiers print silver. I now rather regret skipping the Wyoming, even though I hated it in beta and had the Arkansas. I basically left around 30,000 easy captain exp on the table because of that. 

Live and learn from other's mistakes :)

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,764 battles

Free XP is pretty valuable in the game, think of it as real money and spend it accordingly. I advise against using it to skip ships or to upgrade them because you miss out on the captain xp by doing that. Using free xp in this way gets you in higher tier ships with low point captains, not a good thing IMHO. Saving it for the free ships is probably the best use of it. 

[IPWA2]
Members
17 posts
2,345 battles

I'm guilty of skipping ships using free XP, although it was before the introduction of Missouri. But to be honest, it all comes down to personal preference. If you're willing to sacrifice cash to convert XP to free XP, no harm done. People will shame you for doing it but it's really none of their business what you spend your money on. I won't lie, I got impatient and converted some free XP to get Musashi, I don't regret it at all. 

[-WPG-]
Members
731 posts
3,145 battles

1600 battles and I still only have 300k fxp, and I think 80k of that was from the originial invite code.  I've been hoarding it, have maybe spent 4-5k finishing a grind here and there.  Not going to purchase free xp, nor flags to boost it.  Kronshtadt is appealing, but 750k seems too far away.  I'm going to get the Nelson, then I'll feel more free to spend it upgrading hulls. 

[YORHA]
Members
3,247 posts

At 286 battles you should be grinding the ships.  That's how you learn the game and the ships.

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,699 battles

As others said: unless you're saving up for those Free XP Premiums the general rule is to Free XP key upgrades on a new ship, never to skip the grind to next one (occasionally just to finish off when you're less than a single battle short, you really hate playing that ship & you'll still have enough for those key upgrades on the next ship)

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,828 battles
12 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

I never use free exp to upgrade ships. I been saving it for those free exp ships. So far I have 3 out of 4 free exp ships

Same here. I actually just grind module xp in coop, which also let's me get a better feel for the ship before I play it in randoms

[NSC]
Members
111 posts
4,983 battles

The real question is it worth it to fee xp through the Izumo?  I have enough to get through it to the Yamato and I already have the Musashi. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,362 posts
10,151 battles
13 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

Its depends from ship to ship.

This ^^^

Izumo is a prime example of a ship that is made to be skipped with Free XP. IF you have played through the line to Amagi you have learned IJN BB play. Izumo teaches you nothing you need for Yamato (or really any other IJN BB) and is just a grind wall. Nothing wrong IMO with skipping it with FXP. I did actually but Yamato wasn't my 1st T10 BB either.

In general I don't think it is wise for newer players to do it. Take the time and grind up the tiers to learn how to play. Use FXP there to help upgrade the ships quicker but play through them.

However, at some point, you reach a level where there is nothing to really gain experience wise grinding a 5th or 6th T5 Cruiser or whatever. If you want to skip a ship do it. IF you try a ship and hate it (hello QE) nothing wrong IMO with using FXP to finish it and move on.

YMMV

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,362 posts
10,151 battles
1 minute ago, Stongatola said:

The real question is it worth it to fee xp through the Izumo?  I have enough to get through it to the Yamato and I already have the Musashi. 

100% yes

Beta Testers
1,012 posts
13,569 battles
14 hours ago, Aephx said:

LOL please don't get caught up worrying about what others think....it's your free xp do with it what you will!

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
14 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

LOL please don't get caught up worrying about what others think....it's your free xp do with it what you will!

Oh, I agree. Ask advice from people who have been around for a while, but go with what works for you and not what others say that you have to do.