You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Helping New Players out

9 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,245 posts
5,674 battles

For new players who are trying to learn how to play they game, I think for the first 1000 battles they should get unlimited free captain respec's. Don't we want to encourage new player to experiment with the build tree so they can find builds that suite their game play style. Maybe start off new players with 10 point captains so they will not have to battle learning the game mechanics and battling the seal clubbers with four and five point captains. Maybe new players should get a special buff for captains XP so they can make the journey to their first 19 point captain not so painful during their first 1000 battles. Maybe offer +1 -1 matchmaking for players under 1000 battles. Perhaps if we protected and nurtured the baby seals a bit better more of them will transition into long term players and help reduce player turnover.

This is just me throwing ideas out there to see what my fellow forums brother and sisters think. It is not intended to start controversy, it is only intended to start a good debate on the pros and cons of my idea. I enjoy reading all the different opinions and viewpoints. 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

+2/-2 is an issue for everyone, but I'll admit giving younglings +1/-1 doesn't sound bad to me.

That's why most stop at T5.

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,245 posts
5,674 battles
1 minute ago, Wulfgarn said:

+2/-2 is an issue for everyone, but I'll admit giving younglings +1/-1 doesn't sound bad to me.

That's why most stop at T5.

Yep facing any T7  battleship in a New York is enough to make a new player rage quit.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

I think for the first 1000 battles they should get unlimited free captain respec's

Because that wouldn't cost WG a dime.

Don't we want to encourage new player to experiment with the build tree so they can find builds that suite their game play style.

Shouldn't we encourage them to read LWMs reviews and watch CC YouTube videos rather than jumping into a skill they can't use? Not to mention that the Wiki has a section on each ship that covers recommended commander skills.

Maybe offer +1 -1 matchmaking for players under 1000 battles.

I see thousands of re-roll accounts filled with recently bought premiums. WoW might actually like that.

it is only intended to start a good debate

Always available for a good debate.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

This looks like a job for the Arsenal, specifically the coupon function.  As one of the rewards for leveling their account up to level 15, new players could be given some number of coupons good for a free respec (aka a "Get Out of Meme Build Free Card"), perhaps with a timed expiration date 30 or 90 days out.  Limit as appropriate to improve new player retention while protecting revenue.

For established players, I'd also love to see coupons of this ilk for sale for coal.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,409 posts
3,662 battles

I doubt in the first 1000 battles the captain skill points would be high enough to warrant a respec.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

For new players who are trying to learn how to play they game, I think for the first 1000 battles they should get unlimited free captain respec's. Don't we want to encourage new player to experiment with the build tree so they can find builds that suite their game play style. Maybe start off new players with 10 point captains so they will not have to battle learning the game mechanics and battling the seal clubbers with four and five point captains. Maybe new players should get a special buff for captains XP so they can make the journey to their first 19 point captain not so painful during their first 1000 battles. Maybe offer +1 -1 matchmaking for players under 1000 battles. Perhaps if we protected and nurtured the baby seals a bit better more of them will transition into long term players and help reduce player turnover.

This is just me throwing ideas out there to see what my fellow forums brother and sisters think. It is not intended to start controversy, it is only intended to start a good debate on the pros and cons of my idea. I enjoy reading all the different opinions and viewpoints. 

If this were to come to fruition Do you know how many Players would Repop just for the Stats?

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

New players are coddled in the first four tiers, but once they reach Tier 5 they're thrown into the 'real world.' It wasn't always this way before changes, but now Tier 5 has a miserable time and Tier 6 is only slightly better. I agree that new players should get free captain re-specs, but perhaps increase the number of battles to 1500. 

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
124 posts
4,245 battles
4 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

New players are coddled in the first four tiers, but once they reach Tier 5 they're thrown into the 'real world.' It wasn't always this way before changes, but now Tier 5 has a miserable time and Tier 6 is only slightly better. I agree that new players should get free captain re-specs, but perhaps increase the number of battles to 1500. 

I would not since I got my first 19 point captain below 1500 and was in clan wars b4 that so drop that down to 500 and it could be a thing. at 500 games even on a reroll there would be no point unless you spend the money on ships and other stuff but then why not do that on your main. New players should go watch vids and learn how to play or just mash their heads at your shells  till they learn. Its what we have cc's for anyway.