You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Fighting Fridays - On Fire!

23 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
820 posts
5,799 battles

Image result for world of warships fires

How do you deal with fires on board your ship during battle?

Historically, fires have been as much of a threat to ships as incoming artillery or torpedoes.

At lower tiers, I tend to use damage control more often than at higher tiers due to the health pool of those vessels.

Also I consider the class of vessel as well. BBs have repair consumables but cruisers, destroyers, and aircraft carriers do not.

When fires strike, what's your plan?

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#fightingfridays

#anchorsaweigh

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

reRw26c.png 

I tend to start more then I revive! CA life is only life!!

Most of the time I just put it out though. 

[BIAS]
Members
3,052 posts
9,046 battles

Typically don't touch the dcp button until I have 2 fires on me. 

Unless I am low health or go concealed and will stay concealed afaik. 

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,260 posts
5,679 battles
10 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Historically, fires have been as much of a threat to ships as incoming artillery or torpedoes.

At lower tiers, I tend to use damage control more often than at higher tiers due to the health pool of those vessels.

Also I consider the class of vessel as well. BBs have repair consumables but cruisers, destroyers, and aircraft carriers do not.

#fightingfridays

#anchorsaweigh

Yeah, I had a battle in my GK where I took over 71k from fire damage alone, even with a full fireproof build. The HE meta is out of control and is only going to get worse with the US cruiser line. These super fast firing rate ships should have a tiny fraction of a chance to set fires to offset their high rate of fire. I can hear people now, but how are we supposed to do damage. This game was supposed to be a rock/paper/scissors mechanic and the HE spam has broken that to the point that it is rare for cruisers to do what they were supposed to do, prosecute destroyers. Why do something hard when you can hide behind an island, spam HE the whole game and get ridiculous stats, exp, and rewards for it. The Hindenberg for example....ZERO learning curve, in my first 54 games I have a 72% win rate and a personal rating of 2091. I AVERAGE over 110k in damage. The Hindy is so easy to play, 1v1 there isn't a battleship in the game that can win against a Hindy with equally skilled players.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Depends on what kind of ship I am in, and where I am caught. One fire in a ship with a heal will just burn.

If I don't have a heal, or it's more than one fire, I move to disengage, and try to get as close to safety as I can before putting out the fire. That is, unless I can just win the engagement before putting out the fire. Putting it out too soon, only to be set on fire again, is a tough mistake to swallow.

[STW-M]
Members
1,894 posts
5,666 battles

Usually, I only repair if there are 2+ fires.

Sometimes though, I deal with them like how Arizona does it:

arizona-buring.jpg

Oh wait...

(Now excuse me while I get a whack to the head courtesy of Arizona)

Efouv0a.jpg

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
1,652 posts
12,714 battles

if its only 1 fire, I let it burn out

If  its a repeated flame thrower I fire back at them at the direction the HE shells came from

If its 2 fires and I have full HP,  I let it burn out

If its 3 fires or above at any HP lvl I hit the DC repair button.

I your in a DD, you just don;t have time to hit the DC button fast enough really.

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles

Since I primarily drive Cruisers, I start 'em more than I get 'em. Aint no lovelier sight in all of WoWs than a burning BB!

Napalm.gif.8ad56ef8032bbcd3ebd289041e49f1c9.gif

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,705 posts
3,468 battles

How I handle fires in ships with Repair Party:

1. I wait until I know the fire will burn enough HP to constitute a full use of my Repair Party's heal, or I use it once it can be used full.

How I handle fires when using Damage Control Party:

1. As long as the ship isn't it immediate danger of sinking, I let the fire burn out, or I only use it when I'm either out of the line of fire or win more than 2 fires are burning.

How I specialize my ships against fire:
1. Superintendant on everything all the time.

2. Use Premium (for credits, not dubloons) Repair Party, and Damage Control Party for the quicker reloads and extra Repair Party use.

3. When playing modes where there will be no CV, I run Fire Prevention so that I'll usually only take 1 fire at a time, and it will be extremely difficult to do.

4. I run the Repair Party Heals an extra 20% flag.

I get fire proof and dreadnaught almost daily in BBs if I play them just a few games, and if I "main" them all day I'll get multiple of each.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,426 posts
4,312 battles
2 hours ago, digitaljustice said:

fine.JPG

This is me when playing any of the British superheal battleships. I actually want to be set on fire to farm fireproof and dreadnought flags.

Members
1,181 posts
501 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Yeah, I had a battle in my GK where I took over 71k from fire damage alone, even with a full fireproof build. The HE meta is out of control and is only going to get worse with the US cruiser line. These super fast firing rate ships should have a tiny fraction of a chance to set fires to offset their high rate of fire. I can hear people now, but how are we supposed to do damage. This game was supposed to be a rock/paper/scissors mechanic and the HE spam has broken that to the point that it is rare for cruisers to do what they were supposed to do, prosecute destroyers. Why do something hard when you can hide behind an island, spam HE the whole game and get ridiculous stats, exp, and rewards for it. The Hindenberg for example....ZERO learning curve, in my first 54 games I have a 72% win rate and a personal rating of 2091. I AVERAGE over 110k in damage. The Hindy is so easy to play, 1v1 there isn't a battleship in the game that can win against a Hindy with equally skilled players.

n8NeJj2.jpg

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles

How I deal with fires depends entirely on the situation. If my ship has a heal and I'm still under fire I just let it burn. Hell, if I'm in a British BB with superheal I'll even let two of them burn happily. If I'm in a ship without heal I'm more eager to put it out, given that I'm no longer under fire. This all goes out the window if I'm already low health ofcourse.

Members
3,774 posts
4 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

#fightingfridays

#anchorsaweigh

Beavis Fire GIF - Beavis Fire Lighter GIFs

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,486 battles

Let it burn out if one fire. 2 fires on BB typically a few seconds after sinking the ship that set me alight:cap_haloween:
Then I  will extinguish it. Of course it is contingent on remaining health pool on the ship.  Cruiser put it out
asap. Same with DD because smaller health pool. 

That is it in a nutshell :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,403 posts
14,660 battles

Have a India Delta flag mounted.There's also a mod that will tell you when you have reached maximum damage that can be repaired. So I go dark then, put the fire out and heal.

[DRG_N]
Members
412 posts
582 battles

"Historically, fires have been as much of a threat to ships as incoming artillery or torpedoes."

Historically, what must be full on metal-fluorine or plasma fires were never started by a single 127mm magical greek fire shell impacting the side of the hull just above the water line.

In my BB's, I tend to let even two fires burn for a while, and will generally counter with Repair Party to simply soak the damage.  If it's a three-fire I hit Damcon within a few seconds while falling back.

Edited by Highlord

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles
9 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Relative when you consider the fact that fire damage is a %, not mostly fixed like AP. Tier 1 or 10, you still lose 9% in a DD or cruiser,  a slightly too high 18% on BB's after IFHE was introduced, and a way too high 24% on CV's when you consider they also lose the ability to attack AND  have no repair.

And what I do is pray I can somehow limit it to one fire if I'm in a BB/CV and can et it out without getting relt right after. Especially when I get two out, and then the same damned cruiser in 2 salvo's starts 3 more that can take away up to 54% of my HP. When at best my repair party recovers I think it was 14-16%. 

• Cool 1

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts

the ship is on fire!!!

hell i just used repair party..

alrit men this is it!!!

THIS WILL BE OUR FINEST HOUR

thats how i do it )

Edited by iamplaya

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,229 posts
6,433 battles

In advance I make sure to equip my ship against fures, depending on the expected amount of fures people will try to set on me. I am playing a BB with bad concealment? BoS and FP are a must! To equip the Premium version of the Damage Control is also highly recommended.

During a battle I need to consider several factors before I press Damage Control:

- how much health do I have left, and will I survive if I let the fires burn? (If not, I use DamCon)

- will extinguishing the fire allow me to disengage into stealth immediately? (If yes, and my intend is to disengage, I use DamCon)

- Is further incoming HE spam, or Torpedoes, likely until my DamCon would be off cooldown? (If not, I use DamCon)

- Would delaying the usage of DamCon allow me to survive longer (e.g. incoming Torpedo bombers waiting for me to use DamCon)? (If yes, I wait for a bit)

[DESS]
Beta Testers
169 posts
6,677 battles

It depends more on the hp level (overall %) than anything else, and how likely I am to need my Damage Control in the near future.

Seeing as fire does % health damage, it also depends on how likely I am to sink during the fires duration.

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles

While on cooldown my damage control crews getting rid of the flammable beverages... :fish_palm:

22EB2D8A-4417-43C7-A822-E95F9C02BE12.png.beb07a54f5e5af73abe462390e778856.png

• Funny 1

Members
1,790 posts
17,416 battles
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, Gneisenau013 said:

BBs have repair consumables but cruisers, destroyers, and aircraft carriers do not.

1st off some higher tier cruisers do have repair...(not to mention all the Brits from T4 & above).

As for DDs & CA/CLs...since fires were reduced to 30 seconds I would need to be real low on life to even consider it.

Besides...I'm an "Adrenalin Rush Junkie" (tm...I should really change my in game name to that because it is so fitting...I use AR on practically every ship). Fires to me=increased ROF. Even w/the heal (in BBs & CA/CLs) I will sometimes wait until after the next turret rounds reload to use the heal to take advantage of the less HPs decreasing my reload time through my AR.

On BBs again unless I am in immediate need of extinguishing fire to stop from sinking I'll let them burn & if the follow-up torps do not start a flood I will let them burn out (they'll be mostly burned out by time said torps get there anyway)...most of that damage is healable anyway.

Don't run CVs but as a footnote on DDs...if I am "pretty sure" that putting out the fire will make me go undetected (based on nearest ship's distance away) I will pop the DC as opposed to wasting a smoke ("pretty sure"=not so much at start of a match if there's any stealthier DDs that haven't been spotted yet that may also have me spotted).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos