You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Numbers can be Misleading

17 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles

This is Mainly a Warning to anyone using a Match Making Monitor.

Just because someone has played a lot of games in a ship and their avg damage is kinda low does not mean you should ignore them.

I will use Me as an example....

Gunstar plays the Des Moines a lot but only avg 82k Damage.a game must not be very good in it or gets carried a lot and is not a unicum purple  player so not a priority.

Ok can anyone spot the issue with that statement?

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[LUCK]
Members
1,274 posts
18,962 battles

Issue is you're asking for trouble letting a Des Moines live regardless of who is the captain?

• Cool 1

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
Just now, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Just because someone has played a lot of games in a ship and their avg damage is kinda low does not mean you should ignore them.

Gunstar plays the Des Moines a lot but only avg 82k Damage.a game must not be very good in it or gets carried is not a unicum purple  player so not a priority.

Does Gunstar kill destroyers like it is his hobby?  Sit and hold caps and force the enemy team into a bad trade just to get rid of his radar and DPM?  A DM could be forced to sit behind an island for a good portion of the match because they are stuck in, but that same DM is also holding a flank and preventing a push.

I usually look at the monitors to see what the win rate is of players.  It's not perfect, but it is often a better gauge of who is worth risking my life to support, and who is the suicide hero who dies in the first two minutes.

• Cool 2

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
1 minute ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Gunstar plays the Des Moines a lot but only avg 82k Damage.a game must not be very good in it or gets carried is not a unicum purple  player so not a priority.

Yes. You used yourself as an example of a player that might be ignored.

I dunno what average damage is for a DM, but you have a purple WR in it.

Cut your damage in half, and your WR by 25%, and that's more the type of player who gets ignored.

• Cool 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
33 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Yes. You used yourself as an example of a player that might be ignored.

I dunno what average damage is for a DM, but you have a purple WR in it.

Cut your damage in half, and your WR by 25%, and that's more the type of player who gets ignored.

Yeah I was a bad example.... a few games over the past couple of weeks someone on my team had it and pointed out the enemy teams good players.

But failed to mention the in one Case the Gearing that had thousands of battles but WR was low 50's and damage avg was 48K

I went back and looked at what they had done over the past 300 battles and it was night and day.

That was the player that I would have liked to known was a threat.

Good thing I consider everyone on the enemy team a unicum player and a threat no matter what their numbers say otherwise.

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
3 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Yeah I was a bad example.... a few games over the past couple of weeks someone on my team had it and pointed out the enemy teams good players.

But failed to mention the in one Case the Gearing that had thousands of battles but WR was low 50's and damage avg was 48K

I went back and looked at what they had done over the past 300 battles and it was night and day.

That was the player that I would have liked to known was a threat.

Good thing I consider everyone on the enemy team a unicum player and a threat no matter what their numbers say otherwise.

Yeah, if I were to use it, it would mainly be to help me decide who to tag along with on my own team.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,763 battles

The best solution is not to use MM monitor, since most players don't have enough games in their ship for the statistics to be meaningful, and most of the ones that do have played over such a long interval that the overall average is unreliable anyways. 

Just play your best game.

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
421 posts
18,291 battles

I thought Gun Stars in Des Moines Just Liked to hide Behind Islands and not come out to say hello to a friendly Zao just looking to make friends. Kinda like last night. How did that work out for ya sir? 

Am I a threat or am I an easy kill most the time? 

Edited by Filthy_Pelican

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
9 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The best solution is not to use MM monitor, since most players don't have enough games in their ship for the statistics to be meaningful, and most of the ones that do have played over such a long interval that the overall average is unreliable anyways. 

Just play your best game.

I go by the battle, not the paper.

• Cool 1

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
132 posts
6,943 battles

That's one of the downsides of the program, it only collects data for just the ship itself. It does not provide you with any overall data on the player's account. So in the end, you're only getting half of the intelligence to compare between both.

But the best thing to do is not take any stats data to heart since statistic data can be manipulated/padded. It's only going to distract you. Just observe them in the battle, never slacking off based on the numbers alone. Even a bad potato can still fire his guns/torpedoes and harm your team if you let them. Treat everyone as equal threats, take no quarters and no prisoners. :Smile_izmena:

[CUTER]
Members
670 posts
18,491 battles

I dont run mods.  I do play enough though that I recognize certain clan tags and players.  Those are the indicators for me that someone is skilled.  Also, anyone who is sailing around late in the match with 3 plus kills is usually an indicator of skill.

• Cool 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
56 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

I thought Gun Stars in Des Moines Just Liked to hide Behind Islands and not come out to say hello to a friendly Zao just looking to make friends. Kinda like last night. How did that work out for ya sir? 

Am I a threat or am I an easy kill most the time? 

The only time I seen you was when I put a Citadel in your side for calling me trash LOL.

Other than that I spent 10 minutes of the game some place way south of the caps dealing with a Yammy, a Roon and a Missouri and some other BB at the same time.

Still finished with 220k and a long list of achievements but loosing the game in the last 10 seconds really stung.

I survived that game to because your BBs all of them could not hit the broad side of a barn with a Bass Fiddle.

I always consider you a threat because you are not a passive cruiser player.... you are one of those that our BB's should have dealt with early when you was broadside.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
421 posts
18,291 battles
36 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

The only time I seen you was when I put a Citadel in your side for calling me trash LOL.

Other than that I spent 10 minutes of the game some place way south of the caps dealing with a Yammy, a Roon and a Missouri and some other BB at the same time.

Still finished with 220k and a long list of achievements but loosing the game in the last 10 seconds really stung.

I survived that game to because your BBs all of them could not hit the broad side of a barn with a Bass Fiddle.

I always consider you a threat because you are not a passive cruiser player.... you are one of those that our BB's should have dealt with early when you was broadside.

Well, they didn't deal with me, unfortunately. But on the bright side, I sank the Yamato on your team and should have sunk the Ibuki since I had him down to like 800 health. But he hid from me. As for your BBs hitting me broadside I only turn right after they fire. Hit and Run the whole game for a meager 175k in damage...

[STURM]
Members
266 posts
2,749 battles
2 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

This.

Recently, I have started all games by telling myself to assume all my teammates are potatoes until proven otherwise, and to assume that all my enemies are unicums until they are dead.

It's helped with my winrate, and more importantly, my enjoyment of the game.

After all, if I go in with rock-bottom expectations, nowhere to go but up, right?

(Please don't prove otherwise, my faith in humanity is on life support as is.)

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
3 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

This.

Recently, I have started all games by telling myself to assume all my teammates are potatoes until proven otherwise, and to assume that all my enemies are unicums until they are dead.

It's helped with my winrate, and more importantly, my enjoyment of the game.

After all, if I go in with rock-bottom expectations, nowhere to go but up, right?

(Please don't prove otherwise, my faith in humanity is on life support as is.)

• I play, I wait, if my team plays good, everyone is eligble for a compliment
  • Team plays horrible, as in HORRIBLE, as in no pushes, no caps, stuck behind a giant island in the southwest, then everyone will get a report....
    • Though it is more likely for the BBs to get reported depending on how the game goes
  • I'm a CV (Ryujo), I can't help but give "advise" because I see everything in the battle, everything in the map, and nearly everything the enemy does
    • I don't look at the paper to see if the player is good
    • I look to the battle
    • I ask to see if they are willing to take my "advise" to:
      • Head back to base and defend
      • Understand that I am busy and I cannot defend them
      • The east is undefended and we need defenders
      • To kill the DD

[INTEL]
Members
8,406 posts
25,228 battles
20 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Gunstar plays the Des Moines a lot but only avg 82k Damage.a game must not be very good in it or gets carried a lot and is not a unicum purple  player so not a priority.

Yeah, it means Gunstar is pretty good, well above server average. Average for Des Memes is only 63K on the NA server. If you have sustained output higher than that, you are doing well.

It also means that Gunstar regularly puts down games of 100K and that his bad games are probably right around the server average. 

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

The ships I do above average damage in are Furutaka (6.5k above server average), Aoba (5k above server average), Colorado (8.5k above server average), Kongo (12k above server average), Atlanta (18k above server average), New Mexico (11k above server average), Queen Elizabeth (8.5k above server average),Orion (11k above server average), old Cleveland (15k above server average), old Pensacola (15k above server average), and new NO (16k above server average). In these ships, in a decent match I can fairly confidently expect to score in the Top 4, though everything from Furutaka to Queen Elizabeth, with the exception of Atlanta, represents an older period of play where I had much less experience. If you look at my Kuma, Omaha, and Murmansk, they represent me when I was a noob. To get an idea of my more recent play look at the Atlanta, New Orleans, old Pensacola and Cleveland, and Orion.

OP you are doing significantly above average damage in the Des Moines, you're doing really well with it. As for your point, I agree and disagree. I disagree when the rest of the player's stats and performance in ships is average / below average, but if the player's a good player overall and just happens to not have really good stats in that particular ship I'd give more caution.

For example, there are 3 players in a battle that all happen to be using the Atlanta:

-Player A has a slightly above average damage in the Atlanta with 300 battles in the ship. Overall he's a blue, almost purple player.

-Player B has a noticeably above average damage in the Atlanta with the same number of battles. Overall he's a green player (me, actually).

-Player C has, again, the same number of battles in the Atlanta, but deals noticeably average / below average amount of damage and is an orange / yellow player overall.

I'd give Player A the most caution, followed by Player B, then Player C.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu