You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

My Opinion on Main Gun Reload Booster

17 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles

This is an opinion of a consumable that is in testing and is may be changed or removed.

I had thought about a consumable like this before for battleships because of their relative weakness to defend themselves against a ship that began to rush them. That was back when I played pretty much only BB’s. Now I have branched out and have come to realize from the other side that it is almost always a horrible mistake a BB makes that leads to being rushed and not being able to defend yourself. There are plenty of threads on buffing/nerfingBB’s or buffing/nerfing other types and this is not a thread for that. This is my opinion on why this consumable should not enter the game.

My original idea was to have a reload booster like TRB. Something like 10-15s reload one time per use. The more you think about it though, the more it doesn’t make sense. BB’s are strong and their main weaknesses are maneuverability, concealment, and the long reload times. A CA/CL can usually survive a salvo if they make a small mistake and show too much side. A DD caught out by radar within 10km or so can usually survive with a little under half health. These happen because in that 26-30s wait for another salvo, a radar can run out or you can quit firing and enter stealth. If you add in this consumable, now you can get 2 salvos off before stealth or 3 salvos off in the time of a short radar. The problem is the alpha strike. If it enters the game on one ship, it isn’t a huge deal but if it enters as a consumable on certain ships, that is an issue to me. Yes, we can play with it and learn to adapt. I’m not going to quit playing because of something I don’t like such as this, but I think it will be a big negative point for me. If a line of ships is introduced with this as their gimmick, will they be balanced around a consumable? 

I am not a fan of any kind of reload boost consumable, even TRB. I use it but I don’t agree with it. I think if a ship needs that kind of boost, a few seconds should be shaved off the reload to improve consistency. Assuming it is going in the game, I would say it should be along the lines of active for one reload with a max of 40% reload boost if loading or an immediate switch if fully loaded and going to another type. So somewhere in 25%-40% reload boost and also acts like an immediate expert loader.

Edit: Something I did not consider at first is AR. If the duration of the consumable is 30s and you take 1% of your hitpoints in damage, you will have the boost active for 3 salvos instead of 2.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
39 posts
1,615 battles

Secondaries are kinda the natural B.B. response to being rushed. They need some weakness... 

Edited by alexbuildit

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
3,977 battles

give her 2 or 3 mins cooldown time so people don't abuse the booster,80secs of cooldown is too fast.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

Don't worry, knowing Richelieu's Moses guns, just because you get MGRB, it doesn't mean you will land any shots.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,317 posts
6,885 battles

Yes lets further buff the most factually overpowered ship type in the game since 2015

• Bad 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,668 battles

Well as you said its in testing and bound to change. I don't mind much the quick reload of MBR, and I'm saying this as a DD/CA main. My real concern is how this consumable is useful in every single situation you end up with while increasing your hard stats, ie. your reload.

You trade smoke for TRB with the exceptions of Akizuki, Monaghan and Asashio that can't hit cruisers and DDs.  You give something in return for something else to change your playstyle. MRB however is something universally useful. I don't know whether having 2 less repair parties will be a good trade. We will have to see how CCs react to this gimmick. I trust most to be relatively objective.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
14 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Well as you said its in testing and bound to change. I don't mind much the quick reload of MBR, and I'm saying this as a DD/CA main. My real concern is how this consumable is useful in every single situation you end up with while increasing your hard stats, ie. your reload.

You trade smoke for TRB with the exceptions of Akizuki, Monaghan and Asashio that can't hit cruisers and DDs.  You give something in return for something else to change your playstyle. MRB however is something universally useful. I don't know whether having 2 less repair parties will be a good trade. We will have to see how CCs react to this gimmick. I trust most to be relatively objective.

A good point. I mean looking objectively at it, for the majority of players this won’t do much. The above average players will be the ones who truly benefit. Like TRB, you can use it randomly and get more damage but if you wait 20-30s you can do much more because of flooding.  

Another big issue I have is if this becomes a gimmick for a line. Do you balance the firepower of a line based around a consumable? If so, why not just give them a few second shorter base reload instead of a consumable.

Members
759 posts
3,972 battles
18 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

A good point. I mean looking objectively at it, for the majority of players this won’t do much. The above average players will be the ones who truly benefit. Like TRB, you can use it randomly and get more damage but if you wait 20-30s you can do much more because of flooding.  

Another big issue I have is if this becomes a gimmick for a line. Do you balance the firepower of a line based around a consumable? If so, why not just give them a few second shorter base reload instead of a consumable.

The reload does not need to be shortened. Doing that would make playing a heavy cruiser pointless.

This consumable would be balanced by removing 2 RPs as you said, so you trade survivability (and credits/cap pts) for greater firepower.

That or it should reduce rotation rate by 1 degree/sec.

> but BBs have trouble with DDs

The idea is to promote teamwork. Your cruisers and DDs are supposed to screen for you.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,317 posts
6,885 battles

This consumable either needs to take the SAME slot as repair party or the base reload of BBs would have to be nerfed to compensate.

Not sure why common sense is not so common. Dev bias increasing.
You simply do not buff something that is already showing as overpowered.

• Bad 2

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
24 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

The reload does not need to be shortened. Doing that would make playing a heavy cruiser pointless.

Changing a reload from 30s to 25s would not make a CA pointless and would make more sense than a reload booster.

This consumable would be balanced by removing 2 RPs as you said, so you trade survivability (and credits/cap pts) for greater firepower.

So in your opinion removing the possibility of healing 19k hp is worth giving a BB 3 salvos as a cruiser? 

That or it should reduce rotation rate by 1 degree/sec.

I guess that could help balance but would need to be more.

> but BBs have trouble with DDs

This is one of my points. It should have a hard time. It should not be able to have cruiser ROF for any period of time.

The idea is to promote teamwork. Your cruisers and DDs are supposed to screen for you.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk
  • Cool 1

[AK]
Members
405 posts
21,900 battles

There was something from the Halloween event that had a cruiser whom had a main battery reloader.... I feel that it should have the same duration,  and the same reload bonus,  but with 2/3 the spotter plane cool down of the consumable..... And DEFINITELY NOT heal the ship 

Members
759 posts
3,972 battles
54 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

With AR, at 50% HP you're firing every 22.5 sec. That adds 50% more DPM and lets Richelieu (which has smaller caliber for tier) out DPM stock Yamato.

Yamato itself would be able to get to a 22 second reload WITHOUT AR, as would all IX+.

If you can't see a problem with this, I don't know what to tell you.

> 19k HP

Look at the output these BBs would be capable of.

You have to trade SOMETHING significant for this.

Edited by NATOMarksman

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Don't worry, knowing Richelieu's Moses guns, just because you get MGRB, it doesn't mean you will land any shots.

ztRE211.gif

Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles

I'm fine with it, IF, if they give up something critical like a DD does for TRB.  Most lose smoke for TRB.

Thinking about it a BB really can only give up repair party as a critical consumable.  That obviously not going to be something WG and the BB players are going to let happen.

So [edited] this idea.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles

Frankly, I think this consumable is a lose, lose for the players.  The guy on the receiving end of several massive alpha strikes loses, the guy in the ship that gives up heals to gain this "advantage" loses.  This is WG trying to sell you shorter life expectancy.  This is only to incrementally shorten matches.  I don't believe that something players really want.  I'd ask you guys to give that some thought.  

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
3 hours ago, NATOMarksman said:

With AR, at 50% HP you're firing every 22.5 sec. That adds 50% more DPM and lets Richelieu (which has smaller caliber for tier) out DPM stock Yamato.

Yamato itself would be able to get to a 22 second reload WITHOUT AR, as would all IX+.

If you can't see a problem with this, I don't know what to tell you.

> 19k HP

Look at the output these BBs would be capable of.

You have to trade SOMETHING significant for this.

Where did I say anything about buffing any ship currently in game? Yamato has nothing to do with this. I said if any new lines would be centered around a main battery reload booster why not lower their overall reload. I would rather a new line come in with a consistent 24, 25, or 26s reload than have a temporary rapid fire cruiser mode.