You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RadDisconnect

How to Minotaur? How do you carry a team in this ship?

25 comments in this topic

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles

So I recently unlocked Minotaur and I've been playing it mainly solo, and it's quite a struggle right now, especially against unicum or Hurricane divs. With the Minotaur, it's just seem so team dependent so if your team collapse you're screwed over a lot harder than other ships. So I'm having a pretty hard time with the ship. Anyone can give some tips on how to play her, especially against these Hurricane divs that I see quite often?

EDIT: The main thing that makes Minotaur frustrating is it's hard to be consistent in it because it seems like you depend so much on team composition and how good your team (especially DDs are). So really I want to know how to carry in a Minotaur or win an uphill battle, because that's really hard right now.

Edited by RadDisconnect

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I am struggling with the ship as well. For me, it's how floaty the shells are compared to the rest of the line. Everything else about it, I play like the rest of the British cruisers, which might be a mistake.

Beta Testers
2,839 posts
4,070 battles

from what i could see by fighting them. they are atlantas that use smoke instead of island,but with radar cruisers increasing,she might need to hug the islands again.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

you are actually doing quite well.......

as for your question, short answer: division

long answer(really looooooooong answer): 

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

To be honest, you're doing better damage-wise than I am in the ship, so I would imagine you're doing most things right and I probably don't have a lot to offer that you don't already know.  Position where you can use an island for cover or have a route of escape if you can get radared, do not sit broadside in your smoke, stay angled in it.  Also you should move back and forth a little bit and ripple fire instead of salvo volleys as it makes it harder to track where the midsection of your ship is for people shooting into your smoke.  You also have to keep in mind that your smoke detection after firing is 5.5km so you can't smoke up right on top of a cap and dakka dakka anymore if there are ships close around.

Also the best case for me is if I can position in a way that forces a crossfire, so if the enemy ships have to angle or bow on to my team, they're showing me a broadside, or vice-versa.

Edited by Deviathan

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

Minotaur gameplay doesn't change in the slightest from Leander.

Support friendly DDs, help them win against red DDs and farm larger ships when they get close

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,503 battles
10 minutes ago, RadDisconnect said:

So I recently unlocked Minotaur and I've been playing it mainly solo, and it's quite a struggle right now, especially against unicum or Hurricane divs. With the Minotaur, it's just seem so team dependent so if your team collapse you're screwed over a lot harder than other ships. So I'm having a pretty hard time with the ship. Anyone can give some tips on how to play her, especially against these Hurricane divs that I see quite often?

You play like a large DD.  You daka daka from smoke, but don't stay stationary.  You support your DDs, while playing about 4km behind them.  Always be aware of radar, and hold your fire unless you can do sustained damage.  Remember, if something is bow on to you, you can still damage the superstructure, but once that HP pool is depleted, you'll virtually stop doing damage.  You literally eat any ship thats showing you a broadside.  

Try to put yourself in a position on the flanks that allows you to hit broadsides from safety.  That's the most important thing.

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles
9 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

you are actually doing quite well.......

as for your question, short answer: division

long answer(really looooooooong answer): 

That's very long, I'll have to read it.

I was on a pretty mean losing streak where I lost like 7 games in a row with this thing, so this is a bit of rage thread.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,194 posts
8,798 battles

That is struggling? I don't want to run into you in her when you have a good handle on her.

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles
29 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

To be honest, you're doing better damage-wise than I am in the ship, so I would imagine you're doing most things right and I probably don't have a lot to offer that you don't already know.  Position where you can use an island for cover or have a route of escape if you can get radared, do not sit broadside in your smoke, stay angled in it.  Also you should move back and forth a little bit and ripple fire instead of salvo volleys as it makes it harder to track where the midsection of your ship is for people shooting into your smoke.  You also have to keep in mind that your smoke detection after firing is 5.5km so you can't smoke up right on top of a cap and dakka dakka anymore if there are ships close around.

Also the best case for me is if I can position in a way that forces a crossfire, so if the enemy ships have to angle or bow on to my team, they're showing me a broadside, or vice-versa.

29 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Minotaur gameplay doesn't change in the slightest from Leander.

Support friendly DDs, help them win against red DDs and farm larger ships when they get close

The main thing that makes Minotaur frustrating is it's hard to be consistent in it because it seems like you depend so much on team composition and how good your team (especially DDs are). So really I want to know how to carry in a Minotaur or win an uphill battle, because that's really hard right now.

For example if your DDs are garbage, you feel it much more as Minotaur because you tend to play closer to the front and you're much more dependent on not being seeing why having vision of enemy.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,884 battles

I like the Radar version :) but with the new legendary upgrade coming out...... I may go back to smoke but smoke seems so MEH

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,748 posts
11,142 battles

Run with a Gearing so you can share his smoke, and maybe a DM for radar

Members
3,643 posts
13,502 battles

I tried out Minotaur but didn't keep her for long. That ship is so squishy that she makes Atlanta look tanky.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles

Minotaur excels in very specific conditions:

1.  Hunting Destroyers.

2.  Making people pay for mistakes.  With her concealment and proper positioning, if someone is caught in a bad spot, those fast firing RN CL guns will make them pay.  Even a BB will begin to regret his life's decisions within seconds of Minotaur raking the sides of his superstructure / upper hull.

3.  Unsuspecting torpedoes.  She can have 8.9km detection in Full Stealth Build.  She has 10km torps with RN CL single-torp launch options.  She is by far the most dangerous torpedo threat of all RN CLs.  You'd be wise to leverage this whenever possible, as even Neptune who has the same torps, has trouble making the most of them due to her mediocre surface detection range.

4.  Defensive combat and the lines are static.  Minotaur is at her best finding a nice spot of cover and pumping shells at people constantly.  She can rack up damage good.  Kind of like what Des Memes does, but unlike USN Cruisers, Minotaur's got smoke, so she can do this in Open Water if needed.

Minotaur is a lot more clumsy if the fighting is fluid.  If being part of a push, or doing a fighting retreat, her concealment is suddenly her most important tool.  If the reds are seriously pushing, Minotaur can't just camp smoke.  There'd be no one spotting for her and she'd get overrun.  Worse, torps may flush her out of smoke and into the open where ships will crucify her.  Or a Radar ship may push up to light her up in smoke.

Position and knowing when to GTFO of Dodge, going Dark is key with her.

• Cool 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

In a TX is hard "carry" a team alone... specially vs unicum divisions.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
3 hours ago, RadDisconnect said:

EDIT: The main thing that makes Minotaur frustrating is it's hard to be consistent in it because it seems like you depend so much on team composition and how good your team (especially DDs are). So really I want to know how to carry in a Minotaur or win an uphill battle, because that's really hard right now.

Kill the destroyers.  If they have dead destroyers 2 minutes in, your chances of winning went up a lot.  If all of the DD's are dead, nothing else in the game has better concealment than you do.  Winrate in the Mino is all about dead destroyers.

Beta Testers
1,362 posts

IMO the Mino is a ship of extremes. It shines at brutal close range and at max range. In between that, it's dead quickly.

For the long range play:

put the +gun range upgrade on it. Use smoke.

Use the floaty shells to your advantage... enemy cruisers hiding behind islands are your primary targets in the first half of the battle.. by the second half you focus on BBs.

The second half of the battle you Since you're staying 15 to 18km from the front line or so you can just rain damage on BBs and keep pelting any hiding cruisers. Of course DDs that pop up near you take shots at them (and since you're usually near the rear area BBs you help them out).

For the close range play:

Be sure to have the stealth upgrades so you're essentially a giant 1-hit-kill DD... by the second half of the battle most DDs should be dead and the BBs should be pushing (both sides)... this is when you can use your stealth and your torpedoes.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
218 posts
3,083 battles

Well looking at your numbers... I would say just bad luck with mm so far.

(How I like to play it is full Memeotaur. Stealth build, Radar + radar mod and Hydro. Be aggressive, very aggressive... But don't be stupid like me.  Focus Red DDs, shutdown caps, flank and gank other cruisers. Avoid dying... Play it like a DD support ship, friendly DDs will love you. Especially the non-gunboats...)

[WORX]
Members
1,648 posts
12,706 battles

MINO and carry usually dont go together. What I recommend is DIV up with a DD mate that has a long smoke duration, this is good for both smoke and radar mino. Must would suggest going after DDs but I think that is a mistake, Priority targets should be

1. Any ship with radar BB included
  2. Then cruisers that venture close to your Citadel Capabilities
  3. BBs always, they're the ones that will send you to port faster then any other class
  4. DDs who are spotting you.

If you work on the above points AND know how to position and reposition yourself, you will see good results overall

[GLF]
Members
11 posts
4,666 battles

Watch business 6 and him hard body karate in the mino.  He has like 61% win rate solo.

Edited by _Bias_For_Action_

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles

I've had a couple of good matches in her, but overall, I'm struggling with her, too. It's like she's a big DD with an easily melted cit, she is NOT forgiving in the least.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

from what i learn from fighting them. Some good players will find a small island to camp behind and start laying fire on nearby targets without being seen.

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,550 battles

You are doing a heck of a lot better than I am with it, so I got nothing for you.