Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Adjustment to how premium cammos look

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,429
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles

I was looking at my Des Moines in port and even with the premium cammo she is a rust bucket. I was in the Navy and NEVER saw a ship in this condition, even on the Iowa which was almost 50 years old you didn't see that kind of rust. If I was the CO of the Des Moines and it looked like it does in game I would hang the chief boatswains mate for dereliction of duty. For as much as we have to pay for a tier ten premium cammo I do not think it is unreasonable that the ship should be represented in good condition with a FRESH paint job where the colors pop. The Des Moines looks like a garbage scow currently.

I know this is pure aesthetics and in no way effects game play but if I am going to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentation of the women.....I want to do it in style.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
434
[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

People have asked for ages. Best your gunna get is a mod.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,779 posts
5,639 battles

My father served in WW2 Pacific and looked at the ships in the game and said the rust was accurate and most of the ships look to good for front line ships. So its all objective!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
341
[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,855 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

 I was in the Navy and NEVER saw a ship in this condition, even on the Iowa which was almost 50 years old you didn't see that kind of rust. If I was the CO of the Des Moines and it looked like it does in game I would hang the chief boatswains mate for dereliction of duty. 

 

 I was in the Navy too. As I recall the reason you rarely saw a totally rust streaked ship was due to the rust being painted over. Pure cosmetics. 

 I have seen a ship when its not sitting still long enough to hide the rust. USS Thomas C. Hart FF 1092 during Desert Shield Desert Storm. We went 10 weeks, at one point, without being in port more than 12 hours. You don't paint the hull when you're doing boarding ops, all hands replenishments, or assigned as an emergency response/rescue unit.

 At the end of that ten weeks we looked like we had been sitting abandoned in a swamp for 20 years. When we finally hit a port long enough the rust stripes were covered again before 1600 the day after we tied up.

 Point being, ships in combat ops dont stop for paint. That crap is for show  boats and pier annexes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
76
[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,070 battles

Peace time vs wartime maybe. Paint is nice and all but war comes first although I do think premium camo should look shiny and new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
133
[CAPGO]
Members
511 posts
3,261 battles

Wartime paint.. Just look at Hood. Kept paint in perfect condition but failed to keep the ship afloat. But..I guess it doesn't hurt to make premium camos look shiny and new.. they are premium camos after all..

Edited by 0806sung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,273
[HINON]
Members
8,807 posts

Ships rust really fast in wartime conditions. Here are some examples.

Hizy5C4.jpg

 

Here is the USS New York

S7sIjCH.jpg

 

A Flower class corvette

81c5zx8.jpg

 

A bit more modern example, HMS Hermes after returning from the Falklands campaign

 

wtbSuTD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,429
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles
3 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

 I was in the Navy too. As I recall the reason you rarely saw a totally rust streaked ship was due to the rust being painted over. Pure cosmetics. 

 I have seen a ship when its not sitting still long enough to hide the rust. USS Thomas C. Hart FF 1092 during Desert Shield Desert Storm. We went 10 weeks, at one point, without being in port more than 12 hours. You don't paint the hull when you're doing boarding ops, all hands replenishments, or assigned as an emergency response/rescue unit.

 At the end of that ten weeks we looked like we had been sitting abandoned in a swamp for 20 years. When we finally hit a port long enough the rust stripes were covered again before 1600 the day after we tied up.

 Point being, ships in combat ops dont stop for paint. That crap is for show  boats and pier annexes.

I was deployed to the Persian gulf in 88 escorting tankers through the straights of Hormuz. On the USS Vandergrift FFG 48, we were at sea for weeks at a time and I never saw rust on her. The deck gang was going strong every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,429
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Ships rust really fast in wartime conditions. Here are some examples.

Hizy5C4.jpg

 

Here is the USS New York

S7sIjCH.jpg

 

A Flower class corvette

81c5zx8.jpg

 

A bit more modern example, HMS Hermes after returning from the Falklands campaign

 

wtbSuTD.jpg

I do not see any premium cammo's on these ships.....heheheheh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,273
[HINON]
Members
8,807 posts
Just now, Belthorian said:

I do not see any premium cammo's on these ships.....heheheheh

Probably a cost saving measure since they ran out of doubloons. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,331
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,391 posts
4,284 battles

The Des Moines and the 'first generation' ships that were around for release generally have more rust and more faded camo than more recently released ships. More often than not they have blackened windows as well whilst newer ships have transparent windows.

The original USN and IJN ships need a graphical overhaul in general imho. It's painfully obvious when you put sister ships next to each other like Kagero and Harekaze. Aesthetically they've been left behind a bit and could do with some love from Wargaming's modellers to bring them up to current standards.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,429
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles
50 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Probably a cost saving measure since they ran out of doubloons. 

roflmao that is hilarious. Yep the British had to get down to the Falklands and back before their premium time ran out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×