You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Good premium cruiser for a noob?

41 comments in this topic

Members
205 posts
4,223 battles

I've been trying to play cruisers more often and my question is is there a reasonably priced premium cruiser that's easy to play and even a noob like me can learn quickly? Any and all advice is welcome!

[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,070 battles

Depends on your definition of reasonable I have the marblehead, Yubri, Gref Spree, Molotov,Perth, and Indianapolis all of these mid-teir ships are very solid it depends on what nation you would most likely a trainer for. Teir 6 is a good teir for learning while still making a decent profit. Yubri at t4 while fun is not exactly a training ship, Marblehead at 5 has all the same problems as her tech tree counterpart but if you like Omaha she is a good choice.and lastly Indianapolis is great but is a bit more pricey and I feel might not be as good a buy.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

Atago is, in my opinion, the best premium cruiser available, and the Prinz Eugen feels a bit better with a heal now.  De Grasse is also a really solid contender at its tier, especially with IFHE, and will probably be more forgiving for someone trying to learn within its MM than the Atago or PE would be.  That being said, cruisers are not noob friendly in any sense and you can and often will be punished for mistakes (and sometimes punished despite not making a mistake).  Upside, if you're a fast learner then you'll pick up on what works and what doesn't and what you can get away with pretty quickly.

For all the crap it gets, the Indianapolis is one of my favorite cruisers, and it's a pretty good representation of how American CAs play, but it takes a lot more finesse than the ones I listed above.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

[FADES]
Members
141 posts
3,628 battles

I like to play Cruisers with a Heal, so for current premiums that leaves Graf Spee, German - Tier 6 ($24), Atago, Japanese - Tier 8 ($48) and the Prinz Eugen, German - Tier 8 ($49).

Not sure what your "Reasonably Priced" is, but for lower tiers, I like the Molotov, Russian - Tier 6 ($22) and the Murmansk, Russian Tier 5 - ($17).

LittleWhiteMouse has excellent reviews on all the Premium Ships - 

Consider these and also what lines you are working on that you can use a Commander Trainer for.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles

The most forgiving mid-tier (I will not recommend a t8 cruiser for anyone who is wanting to learn) is imo, the Graf Spee.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
377 posts
3,318 battles

From one noob to another, I would love to recommend the Graf Spee.  She has BB guns (six 11 inch guns in 2 turrets) with nearly cruiser dispersion, 8km torpedos with excellent firing arcs, German hydro or defensive fire AA and a spotter/fighter plane.

She was my first premium and I like her quite a bit.  She has a bit of a learning curve though.  When you get good enough in her to play more aggressively, you can mount the hydro and make her a very dangerous ship.  I have found her to be accurate at all ranges.  She has a major league alpha strike but suffers in the dpm department.

Best regards,

CS

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
575 posts
7,289 battles

If you mainly play battleships, the Graf Spee is an easy transition.  If you mainly play destroyers, the Yubari is the easiest transition as it is fairly maneuverable, accurate and makes for a decent destroyer hunter.  It just doesn't have many guns and can't compete well against other cruisers.  If you master it, getting a higher tier, more powerful cruiser will be an easy transition.

The next recommendation would be the De Grasse.  But, you might just start with a ship in the line that you want to advance as that would provide you with a commander trainer for that line.

Edited by ClassicLib

[PVE]
Members
8,799 posts
7,234 battles
23 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I've been trying to play cruisers more often and my question is is there a reasonably priced premium cruiser that's easy to play and even a noob like me can learn quickly? Any and all advice is welcome!

You play a lot of T8, so I would go with Atago. It is the best one that I do well with.

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
28 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

They all have there own problems, the first on that I got was Atlanta, then Atago. I did fairly good with the Atlanta and I didn't do well with Atago at all. My personal favorite I think is Molotov. Huanghe is another personal favorite but some would not agree with that choice.

Members
6,620 posts
25,236 battles

"Easier" mode. Graf Spee and Atago. Still cruisers, so nothing's easy.

I like Yubari and Marblehead, Molotov , and De Grasse (dislike Duca D'Aosta), but none of these are easy to play in a BB environment.

Members
94 posts
1,267 battles

I'm far noober than op but I picked up the Spee a week back and I do well in it, considering 

2 guns, albeit BIG guns and the reload doesn't seem too bad. Plus heal. 

I like Spee 

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
52 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

What you really want to consider is which one is best for training your Captains.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts
57 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Graf Spee.  She's excellent.

The Tier 8 cruisers are tough to learn to play, even the good ones.  Plus Tier 8 is brutal for cruisers in general.

Graf Spee is easy:

• Avoid DDs
  • Bully other cruisers
  • Keep your distance from BBs and maneuver to avoid return fire

You get heal, and long range torps.

You can't go wrong.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

What you really want to consider is which one is best for training your Captains.

Not really.  Playability > captain training.

Beta Testers
6 posts
316 battles

As someone who has just came back after being gone for a long time, I would recommend the Uss Indianapolis or the De Grasse.

both are solid choices. 

[H_]
Members
216 posts
6,972 battles

Pretty much all been said.  Played last night with another player in a Atago, he ended up with 14 HP left at the end of the match and did 148K in damage.. if I remember correctly.  I've used it a lot in Ranked, good boat.

De Grasse, Graf, Atago   in my opinion.  My brother has the Molotov and it's well liked. 

The Graf is good but not prolific when it comes to putting shells down range.  Bit of dispersion as you go out in range. Takes some getting used to.

De Grasse overall fun to play.

My favorite is the Atago, however being T8 you get up tiered regularly so be prepared for 9's and 10's..  but it holds up well if you don't do something really dumb and it has Heal..

Good luck. 

OH, just off topic a little,  Tirpitz and Scharnhorst are just a hoot to play.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
1 minute ago, S16_Hunter said:

it holds up well if you don't do something really dumb and it has Heal

I can't even tell you how many Atagos I'll see give up a Dev Strike to someone just because they go "oh, I have torpedoes, I MUST USE THEM."

• Funny 1

[DANKY]
Members
423 posts
1,547 battles

Get Atlanta!  Hahaha kidding, the learning curve is absolute murder.  RIP your stats and win rate for a while.  The ship is undeniably a whole lot of fun though, when you learn how to survive and read the minimap.  Best way to get the most out of that boat, division with a T7 carrier and a stealth destroyer to ensure MM puts you in your happy place.  

[VETSN]
Members
3 posts
2,514 battles

I my honest opinion a good Premium cruiser to start out in would probably be the Graf Spee. I think this was on of the first ones I purchased. She plays pretty solid, and I cannot recall how many Dreadnought Awards I've received playing her. Her guns hit pretty hard, and you can over power any cruiser in same tier with them. Just remember that she only has two turrets though, but Graf Spee also has torpedoes, which are great when you have to close in battle. I would only add this caution,  although she has 11 inch guns, I'd be a little careful trying to handle a BB, the Graf Spee just doesn't have the armor to do a toe-to-toe brawl with one, even if they are lower tiered. That's my two cents.

Edited by Rockwell_Torey

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,574 battles

If you're in the mid Tier range 4-7, the best CA's available would be:

1. Yubari

2. Graf Spee

3. Indianapolis 

The problem with the Graf and more likely the Indie is the MM spread.  The worst case scenario is being sucked into a T8 (Graf) or T9 (Indie) match. There is a jump of ship DPM between T7 and T8.

You have to be aware of what is the role of a cruiser is. Which is support for the most part. What type of support depends on the ship. I'll take the Graf as an example. The Graf is designed for the CA killer role. You have 6 x 11 inch guns on a CA hull. That means you can gut CA's, engagage BB's and you're in a bad way if a DD decides to engage you due to your low ROF. You got great torpedoes, but you only have a triple launcher on either side . I recommend reading up on LittleWhiteMouse's guide first before you decide.

Final piece of advice. Get stupidly good with whatever ship you take. A minimum of 100 matches.

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles

Graf Spee. A regular Swiss Army knife, fun too. And if you notice Spee's often are the last cruiser sailing around in a match, live longer because of their heal/

[PVE]
Members
8,799 posts
7,234 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

You play a lot of T8, so I would go with Atago. It is the best one that I do well with.

Now that the class interruption is over, let me explain.

Atago is one of the few T8 cruisers that has heal. Since you will see from T6 to T10, that really helps your survivability at the higer tiers.

Play her around her concealment range of 9-10km. Go dark when you are targeted and swing back when you drop off their sights. Torp when you are not under target, as your front torps have a good are, you have to show a lot of side to use the back torps. The back torps are good for kiting. The torps have a 10km range, which is good.

Do check out LittleWhiteMouse's review for Atago or any other premium.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/65709-premium-ship-review-ijn-atago-20/

[INTEL]
Members
741 posts
7,855 battles

Im a fan of Makarov. Great range, shell speed, and fast 6 sec reload. Rear turrets swing 360 degrees. Great for kiting. AA is pretty good. 

She's a floating cit but at that pretty much describes every cruiser at t6 other than the Graf Spee. Mak does have an upside of a very narrow profile so she can be a pain to hit when kiting.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
207 posts
2,337 battles

De Grasse gets my vote ~ there are a lot of good PremCruisers but a lot of the have a quirk or two about how they play where as this ship is pretty good at most things a CL is expected to do

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles

Most premium cruisers are actually tricky to play by design (they offer interesting variations of standard play).

If you're new to cruiser play in general, Atago (repair) and Graf Spee (armor/HP/repair) are probably the most forgiving. Avoid anything Russian or Italian (glass cannons). Don't get suckered into buying a T3 or T4 unless you actually like those tiers.

• Cool 1