You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

The Wide Variety Of The Playerbase

14 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
Members
1,849 posts
5,651 battles

It's interesting how this game appeals to so many different ages and people, and this diversity really adds to the color and enjoyment of the game.

Among the people I've met (and quite a few which are in my contacts) are:

• Farmers
  • Military
  • Police
  • EMTs
  • College students
  • Computer Technicians
  • Electricians
  • High School students
  • Law School students
  • Graduate students
  • Foreign exchange students
  • Surgeons

The list goes on and on.

For all the mistakes WG makes, I will say that successfully marketing this game and retaining a surprising number of people—and not just naval enthusiasts—is not one of those mistakes.

Chatting with all these different people oftentimes helps me take the salt and stress out of the day of a losing streak, because it's really hard to stay mad when you're just exchanging pleasant banter with an in-game acquaintance.

Sometimes, it's just the little things like these that help keep the game and its community vivid and alive.

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 6

Community Department
2,011 posts
500 battles

I entirely agree with the point that we all are gathering here to have a good time, some powerful moments and to communicate with each other, that's awesome. Take easy with defeats and victories. They will be anyway. Don't forget about good mood and of course about that the game is a kind of a rest. 

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

Welcome to the playerbase of basically every game.

[HINON]
Members
2,199 posts
6,177 battles
5 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Welcome to the playerbase of basically every game.

except Cod: 12 year olds who "know" my mum

&

CSGO: full of screaming Russians who are russian B

:Smile_trollface:

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

Conversing with people who have a wide background of interests, education, and experience and hail from all over the world is one of the main reasons why I like to play these international online games. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

1,266 posts
13 battles
15 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Conversing with people who have a wide background of interests, education, and experience and hail from all over the world is one of the main reasons why I like to play these international online games. 

Well said, Snarg. Same here.

Beta Testers
9,033 posts
On 6/22/2018 at 4:59 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

It's interesting how this game appeals to so many different ages and people, and this diversity really adds to the color and enjoyment of the game.

Among the people I've met (and quite a few which are in my contacts) are:

• Farmers
  • Military
  • Police
  • EMTs
  • College students
  • Computer Technicians
  • Electricians
  • High School students
  • Law School students
  • Graduate students
  • Foreign exchange students
  • Surgeons

The list goes on and on.

For all the mistakes WG makes, I will say that successfully marketing this game and retaining a surprising number of people—and not just naval enthusiasts—is not one of those mistakes.

Chatting with all these different people oftentimes helps me take the salt and stress out of the day of a losing streak, because it's really hard to stay mad when you're just exchanging pleasant banter with an in-game acquaintance.

Sometimes, it's just the little things like these that help keep the game and its community vivid and alive.

You need to try EVE Online.  There are people there who are lawyers, doctors, corporate executives, engineers, and so on, people with respected professions in real life, yet somehow has a need to portray an interstellar psychopath in a virtual world.

Beta Testers
9,033 posts
On 6/23/2018 at 10:40 AM, Snargfargle said:

I dislike Wargaming's sharding of the world into regions.  What you basically fight against are people in one continent.    You don't get the chance to fight a Japanese clan in one game, a Russian clan the next, then against some people from Mexico and Turkey.

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
4 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

I dislike Wargaming's sharding of the world into regions.  What you basically fight against are people in one continent.    You don't get the chance to fight a Japanese clan in one game, a Russian clan the next, then against some people from Mexico and Turkey.

I have always wondered why that was the case as well. Seems having everyone on a unified server would be better for the game. I understand why China has its own, but toss everyone else into one big pool of potential team mates and let the hilariousness ensue! Is there a technical reason behind separate servers or legal reasons? Has anyone from Wargaming ever addressed why they do this?

Members
1,642 posts
2,149 battles
7 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have always wondered why that was the case as well. Seems having everyone on a unified server would be better for the game. I understand why China has its own, but toss everyone else into one big pool of potential team mates and let the hilariousness ensue! Is there a technical reason behind separate servers or legal reasons? Has anyone from Wargaming ever addressed why they do this?

Might be something to do with internet connection over such a great distance, but I don't know much about tech stuff. I don't know about Russians in WoWs, but in Wot, the playstyle there is completely different than Wot North America. They just sort of charge at each other and a massive brawl occurs early in the match. Some of the are also somewhat hostile to non-Russian players on RU server but again that's Wot and I saw all of this in a Jingles video. 

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
2 minutes ago, Edselman said:

Might be something to do with internet connection over such a great distance, but I don't know much about tech stuff. I don't know about Russians in WoWs, but in Wot, the playstyle there is completely different than Wot North America. They just sort of charge at each other and a massive brawl occurs early in the match. Some of the are also somewhat hostile to non-Russian players on RU server but again that's Wot and I saw all of this in a Jingles video. 

From what I have read about the RU server in WoWS, brawling like that is the meta there as well. It actually sounds kind of fun... It is a shame about how people perceive other nations. I mean I get national pride and expect some trash talk along those lines with a global online game. That could be a bit fun as long as people don't go too far with it. Just think of the great clan wars you could have with different clans from all over the world battling it out for national pride! It would be glorious, almost Olympian. The fact that the "Kings of the Sea" events are not really popular with the general player base is that with such little exposure to the others server's players, we just kind of ignore it. You would think in the 21st century after decades of internet technology, that putting everyone together would be doable.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
32 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

It makes sense to have regional servers in respects to organization and internet speed limitations but I can see your point. We do get some from other servers here from time to time though.

Beta Testers
9,033 posts
29 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

It could be due to the length of the internet connection but there are games that let you play globally, if not pick any regional server you want.  

Segregation of player base in Wargaming is more often due to offering regional specials; Russian premium ships on the Russian server, anime themed ships in the Asian servers, and so on.  But generally that is a bad idea, and it incurs a lot of complaints instead, and games are moving away from regionalism to complete globalism.