Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
driedjello

Think about an Atlanta

20 comments in this topic

[TAFY3]
Members
331 posts
7,132 battles

I hear the Atlanta is going away...  I implore everyone who doesn't have one, think about getting her.  It's extremely unique and when you hit the groove, she melts faces.  She plucks CV's feathers, BBQs BBs, Out DPS's many CAs and absolutely murders DDs.  This ship has utility!  :cap_rambo:

atlanta is a beast.jpg

Edited by driedjello
grammar

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, driedjello said:

I hear the Atlanta is going away...  I implore everyone who doesn't have one, think about getting her.  It's extremely unique and when you hit the groove, she melts faces.  She plucks CV's feathers, BBQs BBs, Out DPS's many CAs and absolutely murders DDs.  This ship has utility!  :cap_rambo:

atlanta is a beast.jpg

d7p666T.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
1 hour ago, driedjello said:

I hear the Atlanta is going away...

The Atlanta goes away on a regular basis ... just like it comes back on a regular basis; all premium ships do. What is your point? It is NOT OP enough for them to permanently pull, and it makes them a buttload of money; why would they take it out of the game on a forever basis?

[MWM]
Supertest Coordinator
276 posts
4,430 battles

less Atlanta spam from smoke behind an island ? That would not be a bad thing. PS I own an Atlanta so I know how cheap the game play is most of the time.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,909 battles
33 minutes ago, Slumlord_Trump said:

I always thought it was just as powerful as the belfast 

Put a couple Atlantas in a division with a Belfast, and things get pretty amusing.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,640 posts
12,695 battles

ATL? mushy and squishy comes to mind.... Some how she is fun but though then  any  tea time Brit light cruiser from t4 -7. She is my primary ship to have reds BBs cry  from  a fiery slow death from my 127mm shells raining on them before they attempt to delete me. Never fails every game I play in her,  some red BB driver will get salty for given him his fiery death sentence. She is the personality of "fast work, Fast result, die young, and leave a beautiful sunken ship".She is a joy to play, a must have for sure only if you like Rapid fire cruisers, if not pass.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles

It's.......okay.  It does well in Ops.  And is situational.  If you can find a good island to give you cover and fire from there, you can rain down burnination on BB's and cruisers.  To be a Belfast it would need smoke and torps that had more than suicide range.  Divving up with someone who has good torps and a weed generator and together you can be a tough nut to crack.  

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

It just came back after a long absence. I doubt they are shelving it so quickly...UNLESS... they want to create a market for their new upcoming premium USN cruisers and would rather not have competition.

Beta Testers
113 posts
2,027 battles

Atlanta's weakness is it is such a one-trick pony that you really only kill the baddies. If it's behind an island with it's 13.1 km range (with aft), you just move out of range and attack somewhere else, or flank the island it's at. Simple. An open water Atlanta is a dead Atlanta.

If they survive to late game though, they can be useful as long as any BB's they face are distracted enough not to blap you.

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
343 posts
4,192 battles
13 minutes ago, stugalize said:

Atlanta's weakness is it is such a one-trick pony that you really only kill the baddies. If it's behind an island with it's 13.1 km range (with aft), you just move out of range and attack somewhere else, or flank the island it's at. Simple. An open water Atlanta is a dead Atlanta.

If they survive to late game though, they can be useful as long as any BB's they face are distracted enough not to blap you.

It depends a bit. If you play against very good players, they will delete you pretty fast, but against so-so players you can still do well out in the open. I have a video on YouTube where I go solo against 5 enemies and still manage to do 30-35K dmg before they get me. I also have another one where I charge a Colorado and he blinks first and hides behind an island.

So many good times in the Atlanta :)

Beta Testers
113 posts
2,027 battles

It depends a bit. If you play against very good players, they will delete you pretty fast, but against so-so players you can still do well out in the open. I have a video on YouTube where I go solo against 5 enemies and still manage to do 30-35K dmg before they get me. I also have another one where I charge a Colorado and he blinks first and hides behind an island.

So many good times in the Atlanta :)

There are always baddies to feast on :)

Though last night I did detonate a Atlanta with my first salvo of the game in a Belfast. Open Water (and rng roll).

Members
9,863 posts

Simply because a ship works for one person, doesn't mean it works for another.....

And this whole "OMG it's leaving" spiel is just embarrassing....:Smile_facepalm:

• Bad 1

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

She's not meant to be out in the open for too long, if at all, unless she can't help it or if she has enough support. As you said, the other team being scrubs helps in her favor. I've played 287 battles in her and personally enjoy her, but yeah she's not for everyone. It takes a specific and somewhat situational play style to make her perform, much like the upcoming US light cruisers.

She'll do well when the enemy has a mass of ships pushing into your team, allowing her to take up an entrenched defensive position (in the words of iChase) for as long as possible behind cover, and hope your team's aggressively pushing the enemy or holding that flank long enough. That will allow her to rack up damage and get kills. She suffers on the larger, high tier maps without much island cover, because it'll be a lot more risky for her to get close. If the enemy makes a commitment to flanking you, pray you can go dark and escape before they land shots into you because every shot hurts. If your flank collapses you're as good as dead.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles

I think about an Atlanta every time I push "collect" on a container. One day, RNGesus may bless me with a Supercontainer that has one inside.

Until then I will keep on thinking about an Atlanta. And doing my best to sink any Red ones that I meet.

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

Look, I like my Atlanta. It's strong so long as you Island hug and know how to use the nasty range/arcs. IFHE is a must if you want to excel. I don't build into AA, it's AA suite is enough as is, most ships leave you well enough alone but it still stings like hell in stock form if they are dumb and decide to press their luck.

shot-18.03.02_17.05.19-0787.jpg

It's a great ship, I always enjoy it in a T8 or lower match. It only starts showing some cracks when you get into a high tier match where the 13 km range really starts to hurt, along with map size. I don't play much, but here is a results screen from one of my last battles in her. Played well it's a nightmare for the Reds.

• Cool 1

Members
2,437 posts
12,175 battles

The first 15 seconds of this video are priceless.

• Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Members
417 posts
3,626 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think about an Atlanta every time I push "collect" on a container. One day, RNGesus may bless me with a Supercontainer that has one inside.

Until then I will keep on thinking about an Atlanta. And doing my best to sink any Red ones that I meet.

This! All this!

I'm pretty much a destroyer player but I'm into light cruisers too. So the USN CL split has got me pretty excited.

So I'm really hoping to get that sparkly shiny Atlanta from the next  Container I open on the Indianapolis missions.

I definitely want a USN CL Premium to train up all my commanders.

I'm pretty sure the USN CL split will boat sales of the Atlanta. It would be serious folly to pull her right now when she is suddenly in renewed demand.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
3 hours ago, Canadatron said:

Look, I like my Atlanta. It's strong so long as you Island hug and know how to use the nasty range/arcs. IFHE is a must if you want to excel. I don't build into AA, it's AA suite is enough as is, most ships leave you well enough alone but it still stings like hell in stock form if they are dumb and decide to press their luck.

shot-18.03.02_17.05.19-0787.jpg

It's a great ship, I always enjoy it in a T8 or lower match. It only starts showing some cracks when you get into a high tier match where the 13 km range really starts to hurt, along with map size. I don't play much, but here is a results screen from one of my last battles in her. Played well it's a nightmare for the Reds.

Yes, she suffers a lot when up-tiered and on the bigger maps. In a normal Tier 5-7 match she's a beast. Ideally she needs a 19 point captain with AFT, IFHE, DE, CE, and the lower level skills.

Sign in to follow this