You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

One More Rant about MM, CVs, and Bottom Tier

12 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

I like playing my St. Louis lately as it gives me a chance to fix my stats from back when I was more of a potato then I am now.  :)

Today I was bottom tier in a battle with mostly T4s which is usually not an issue at all with me.  But each team had 2 CVs on it and the torp spam became horrible as some of the better aa T4s got deleted.  I got cross torped and managed to avoid all of them, reengaged in a fight with an enemy SL, then got cross torped again.  This time I took two from the second wave, did not get deleted, hit repair, then got torped by a third enemy torpedo plane.

I mean, really?  The St. Louis has an aa rating of 3.  Three out of a hundred and somehow it gets slammed into a battle against 2 enemy CVs.  C'mon WG, you can do better for your low tier players than that. 

As a side note, I've never tried to play a CV.  Can a single T4 CV cross torp by itself or do you need two CVs to perform the manuever?

Edited by Joe_918145
typo

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
7 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

As a side note, I've never tried to play a CV.  Can a single T4 CV cross torp by itself or do you need two CVs to perform the manuever?

Hosho: Yes
Langley: No

I suggest looking for a Yubari and, if a friendly one exists, becoming his best bud ever. Everyone forgets that it's the smallest ship with DFAA and the results are hilarious.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,522 battles

T4 CVs use auto drop. I presume you were up against IJN ship's as they have two torp squadrons. 

But they can cross drop you at those tiers. 

Your AA is woeful in that ship at that tier but its such a strong ship in every other aspect!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,749 battles
10 minutes ago, _greifer said:

T4 CVs use auto drop. I presume you were up against IJN ship's as they have two torp squadrons. 

But they can cross drop you at those tiers. 

Your AA is woeful in that ship at that tier but its such a strong ship in every other aspect!

Yeah the AA is so bad that it might as well not exist but the St Louis is an amazingly hard ship to torp if you don't sail in straight lines.

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles

Should have complained about radar and gone for a 4 out of 4 rant.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
24 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Should have complained about radar and gone for a 4 out of 4 rant.

That's right, Sovereigndawg, if I have to face 2 CVs, the least WG should do for me is give me radar in my T3 so I can eliminate the enemy DDs before I have to dodge torps from planes.  Good thinking!  :)

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
1 minute ago, Joe_918145 said:

That's right, Sovereigndawg, if I have to face 2 CVs, the least WG should do for me is give me radar in my T3 so I can eliminate the enemy DDs before I have to dodge torps from planes.  Good thinking!  :)

LOL +1

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles

St Louis is a monster IF you catch a team that really fights....regardless of (kinda) what u are up against. I lost 2 in St Louis late tonight. Teams would just not move up and fight. Just spread around OUR cap and paddled.  Never made a push. Picked off 1 by 1.  I was #1 and #2 inthese matches but no one really moved up to attack. Just would not.  Happens. Reds just came straight at us...killed us. It was HORRIFIC. I pounding them but my mates were like 10k behind me. Why? Dunno. Defensive minded team....the kind that usually losses.  AND I was not yoloing.  Just moved up, looked around and YIKES. Bad scene. Had to laugh. Got to when u see this kinda play. I was remiss in not noting my guys were not moving....my fault. 

Edited by dmckay

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,940 battles
1 hour ago, Joe_918145 said:

I like playing my St. Louis lately as it gives me a chance to fix my stats from back when I was more of a potato then I am now.  :)

Today I was bottom tier in a battle with mostly T4s which is usually not an issue at all with me.  But each team had 2 CVs on it and the torp spam became horrible as some of the better aa T4s got deleted.  I got cross torped and managed to avoid all of them, reengaged in a fight with an enemy SL, then got cross torped again.  This time I took two from the second wave, did not get deleted, hit repair, then got torped by a third enemy torpedo plane.

I mean, really?  The St. Louis has an aa rating of 3.  Three out of a hundred and somehow it gets slammed into a battle against 2 enemy CVs.  C'mon WG, you can do better for your low tier players than that. 

All IJN CV's can use cross drops, and in fact, are recommended to due to the large gaps even a BB can get through (yes, not timed right and all even a BB can dodge these). USN cannot (except Midways broken as hell setup that should have never been returned, Saipan that has similar drops to IJN, and Enterprise that has a weird pattern), but for it gets a more solid wall of torps. And thankfully manual drop was removed from those tiers.

It is unfortunately an issue at low tiers that AA is wholly inadequate to deal with planes, while, opposite end of the spectrum, AA is too good at mid-high tiers. Your best bet, barring a half decent rework which I wouldn't hold my breath for, is to find tier 4 or higher ships and try to stick near them. A lone ship is a grat target for a CV with very rare exception.

That said, 2 CV's coordinating their efforts, while rare, is a terrifying force, especially at those tiers.

Also, ignore the "rating" as it can be misleading, especially when you have DF AA. It's better to look at the weapons themselves and what they do. Typically speaking -

• any MG - pretty much useless, token DPS
  • 20 mm/2 cm auto-cannon - useful against DB's (Dive Bombers) limited/no use vs TB's
  • 40 mm pom pom/vickers - slightly more use against TB, usually a bit low on DPS
  • 25 mm - 37 mm - usually fairly decent, average DPS, but range to be effective vs TB's.
  • 40 mm Bofor/STAAG - typically melts planes with high DPS and good range
  • DP guns - vary.

AA calculation is your AA DPS/plane HP for the chance every tic/second you'll down a plane. So, you can actually math out your chances of any build with any ship vs any CV. Some with "high" ratings have surprisingly useless AA while some with "lower" ratings do better. That and just the RNG factor. 

Part of Why UK has actually surpassed USN for AA at high tiers is the fact a lot of USN's AA especially on the BB's is locked in 20 mm auto-cannons. Which, is problematic against a DB, but rarely against a TB. While it may be lower overall once you take the 20 mm's in, UK generally has more at mid/long range, as well as generally longer range in areas, That is effective against both aircraft types in a big way, as they are in a higher damage area longer. Lion with nothing has 528 DPS at 3.5+ km. My AA built (sans slot 6 AA buff) is 598 at the same range. Add the flag and BFT, Lion jumps to 696, about 150 less than Iowa overall you add in the 20 mm guns. Sure, there's a brief moment where my DB's would have to deal with a bit more DPS, but despite Iowa having a higher rating it's potentially easier to attack than a lower rated Lion. Especially for IJN TB focused CV's. 

[HINON]
Members
8,796 posts

You have a short stubby cruiser against cvs using just autp drops. You can dodge a lot of them as you did but is it not fair that some will hit you? Even cruisers dodging BB fire from long range will eventually get hit. You are not immune to any other ship type.

Edited by RipNuN2

[VW]
Members
1,817 posts
12,265 battles

Club in a tier 4 then at least you have aa. Otherwise take out the mehtori, she comes with a fighter lol!