Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

How To Tell If An Enemy Destroyer Has Slipped Past Your Screening Ships?

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,871 posts
5,656 battles

I have noticed that during a few battles while playing battleships that sometimes an enemy destroyer fleeing away from my team's front line (usually pursuing friendly destroyers or cruisers) will somehow evade the screening ships and then torpedo me from completely unexpected angles.

Examples:

  • Playing on trap, as an Iowa supporting a Fletcher and a Harekaze in C. Fletcher goes to cap B, Harekaze goes to pursue an enemy Yugumo heading south. I'm constantly detected during all this, which makes sense since I'm also heading in the same direction as the Yugumo. The Yugumo goes unspotted for a bit, so I assume he's heading to regroup with his team at A. I'm slowing and adjusting pace, assuming torpedoes will come from around my 9-3. What I don't expect is that suddenly torpedoes appear from behind my 7 o'clock, and since I'm in an Iowa with terrible rudder shift (only b-hull), that results in the enemy Yugumo dev-striking me.
  • Playing on Hotspot, I'm in a Bayern going around (not through, around) the cluster of islands with a Baltimore in front of me screening while an enemy Asashio flees from the Baltimore. Baltimore's radar runs out, but we continue pursuing the same course. Unexpectedly, Asashio's torpedoes suddenly appear from my 9 o'clock, behind both me and the Baltimore. Of course, given it's an Asashio, I don't see the torpedoes until it's far too late, and I die with 0 damage done.

My question is how can I realize when my screening ships have let an enemy destroyer slip through, so that I don't end up becoming someone's achievement? I'm fairly confidant in my torpedobeating skills, but only if I have a general sense of where the torpedoes will come from.

Edited by Avenge_December_7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts

Lol its so fun to attempt.  Just to make the attempt to slip past the front and get behind the red team.  Then firing on them from behind lol leaving them just scratching their heads.

Orang Utan Confused GIF - OrangUtan Confused Keliru GIFs
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
290
[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,253 battles

RPF captain skill would fix that problem.  However, RPF is probably wasted on a BB.  On the other hand, and contrary to popular wisdom,  I put RPF on every cruiser captain as soon as I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
99
[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,569 battles

Simplest way to tell if you are being targeted by a DD? If you are detected, but non of your team can see what is detecting you, ALWAYS assume that it is a enemy DD.

How to tell from which direction it is coming from? More often than not, the enemy will choose the route that is most likely NOT going to be populated with your allies or provide "surprises" for him/her. This means middle areas of the map and regularly populated possitions are the least likely to be used and/or they are going to go around the flanks and away from any other ships they see.

If you are detected and constantly detected (with no break in between) then they are obviously out in the open. If there is a momentary break here or there, check for the nearest islands that match the timing of a moving DD.

Asash are quick, but they have to have been detecting you in order to get a good shot on you. This is your only warning and you'd best not think lightly of it.

If you are in a BB and facing one (or any other DD) find a place where you can block their view or where you know they will not be coming from; this means head for anything that can provide a backdrop or barrier between you and that enemy DD. This is to ensure they do not come at you from one side; thus forcing them to come at you from the side you want or will be expecting.

This tactic is not advised if/when you were previously detected and then go undetected for a while as the likelihood is that that DD has gone behind a island (maybe the island you might be heading to). If this is the case, expect torps from that islands position and/or retreat back to where your support is.

Out in the open, against a BB, DD's are at their apex and will eventually get you no matter what as long as they can remain unseen.. unless they are those Russian gunboats as their torps suck (but they can pretty much just burn you to death). You can also eventually force them against the map edge or island if you are lucky (and/or they don't know how to navigate).

A few other possibilities are:

1: Previously seen torps might not have been from the enemy DD. Had plenty of games where torps come flying in, I see a DD and then the thing fires another group. Could be from the torp reload consumable or a enemy cruiser or other DD's torps.

2: Could be two identical DD's going after you. Not saying that you aren't certain that it was one DD that snuck around you, but there are those games that leave me wondering how the DD in front of me is firing torps at my backside.

Edited by Levits
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
942
Members
4,457 posts
6,185 battles

Players on many teams often do not know what/or what is the mini-map for. Or pay no attention.True! Lose track. DD  disappears.  OK...he no worry now. THEN they show up in your azz. Happens all the time and I give credit to DDs who can pull this off....especially if they on my team. The forums are mostly populated by players who kinda know about stuff. I bet 2/3 of players never read nor look at forums.  Why?

a.They really do not like to read.  Or cannot. 

b. They really can't write nor care to.

c. Free to play!  No big deal. That is  Ok with me.  Their right!

d. Other....fill in the blank_______________

Edited by dmckay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
692
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,874 posts
13,391 battles

Don't be predictable, change course and speed often and above all else don't sit in reverse for 10 minutes

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,313 posts
9,407 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I have noticed that during a few battles while playing battleships that sometimes an enemy destroyer fleeing away from my team's front line (usually pursuing friendly destroyers or cruisers) will somehow evade the screening ships and then torpedo me from completely unexpected angles.

Examples:

  • Playing on trap, as an Iowa supporting a Fletcher and a Harekaze in C. Fletcher goes to cap B, Harekaze goes to pursue an enemy Yugumo heading south. I'm constantly detected during all this, which makes sense since I'm also heading in the same direction as the Yugumo. The Yugumo goes unspotted for a bit, so I assume he's heading to regroup with his team at A. I'm slowing and adjusting pace, assuming torpedoes will come from around my 9-3. What I don't expect is that suddenly torpedoes appear from behind my 7 o'clock, and since I'm in an Iowa with terrible rudder shift (only b-hull), that results in the enemy Yugumo dev-striking me.
  • Playing on Hotspot, I'm in a Bayern going around (not through, around) the cluster of islands with a Baltimore in front of me screening while an enemy Asashio flees from the Baltimore. Baltimore's radar runs out, but we continue pursuing the same course. Unexpectedly, Asashio's torpedoes suddenly appear from my 9 o'clock, behind both me and the Baltimore. Of course, given it's an Asashio, I don't see the torpedoes until it's far too late, and I die with 0 damage done.

My question is how can I realize when my screening ships have let an enemy destroyer slip through, so that I don't end up becoming someone's achievement? I'm fairly confidant in my torpedobeating skills, but only if I have a general sense of where the torpedoes will come from.

Don't assume that a stealth/torp DD is ever doing something other than circling around to try and trying to torp you. So change course and speed fairly often, you'll dodge torps that you may never see. Also, Stealth/torp DD's don't like the company of their fleet, it tends to attract attention and get then spotted. They're better flanking and either force you to turn into their torps, giving their team your broadside, or you facetank their team, and explode to torps in the side. 

Pay attention, and try and keep cruisers and DD's between you and any suspected DD's, they will spot the torps and are better able to dodge them. If you're really paranoid, get Radio Location.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,871 posts
5,656 battles
3 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Also, Stealth/torp DD's don't like the company of their fleet, it tends to attract attention and get then spotted. They're better flanking and either force you to turn into their torps, giving their team your broadside, or you facetank their team, and explode to torps in the side. 

Hmm, never did think of it that way. I might as well use this to improve my own torpedoboat gameplay. since usually my routine involves firing torpedoes and then retreating the other way, sort of like kiting, instead of continuing to flank the enemy.

I admit that the Bayern case was mostly my fault, since I assumed the Baltimore would spot any of the Asashio's torpedoes and thus didn't really change course that much.

In the case of the Iowa, I have to give credit to that Yugumo, since I was actually using islands as cover from torpedoes, yet he still managed to find the perfect angle to sink me.

In that case, as a BB:

  • whenever detected, ALWAYS change course and speed
  • stick around islands, but never too close for fear of a torpedo rush
  • keep teammates between suspected enemy destroyer and myself
  • expect torpedoes to come from where the main enemy force (battleships and cruisers) are NOT

As a destroyer:

  • coordinate your torpedo attacks with your team in order to force enemy ships to turn broadside or just eat your torpedoes
  • stay away from your main fleet
  • flank around to the broadsides of enemy ships
  • watch out for any screening ships (or planes) that could ruin a torpedo attack.

Huh, didn't think I'd learn some destroyer tips as well. +1 to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,022 posts
5,102 battles

Landmass is useful.  If you put yourself behind an island so that you can only be seen from the south, southeast or southwest and somehow your detected, then you should know there is a DD behind your lines.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
326
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,323 posts
14,695 battles
59 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

Don't be predictable, change course and speed often and above all else don't sit in reverse for 10 minutes

@Kapitan_Wuff. Must expel Camo.  Giving up secret sauce.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
170 posts
7,690 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Landmass is useful.  If you put yourself behind an island so that you can only be seen from the south, southeast or southwest and somehow your detected, then you should know there is a DD behind your lines.

Agreed, I've been able to direct friendly DDs by carefully noting gaps in detection while passing through islands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,312 battles

oddly I had to re-read OPs post becuase as a Shimakaze driver, I did this last night. I was able to squeak through between islands unspotted and get behind several island camping cruisers and Tier X BBs.

Did succeed in dev striking a Conq and caused several torp hits on various other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
40 posts
1,411 battles

Pretty simple.

If you're definitely sure you're out of detection range of all other enemy cruisers/bbs, it's going to be a DD. If you've ever been chased by a DD, you're going to have the constant "detected" alert. It's like you're being chased by a ghost.

Pay attention though when the detected alert shows "detected (1)" hes aimed at you to fire torps, so turn away immediately, within a few seconds you should see a wave of torps come at your side. Good DD players though will use a friendly ship at roughly the same speed as you to judge their lead time so you wont even see the targeted signal.

When you pass between islands and the detected signals disappear it should give you a good indication as to whether the DD is Fore/Aft/Port/Starboard to your bearing. If the alert disappears at the approach of the island hes ahead of you, if it turns off as you leave the island hes behind you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[BSL]
Members
724 posts
14,369 battles

This is a big reason I never do manual secondaries.  I cant tell you how many I'm focused on firing and didn't notice the DD sneaking up on me until my secondaries start going nuts.  Yes, I have situation obliviousness...:Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×