You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Repair Party consumables or Smoke?

14 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts

So being in the Tashkent another fun little dd.  The option to have Repair Party consumable?  I'm not quite sure I fully understand why.  Sometimes if a red team player gets a lucky shot, you wont even get the chance to use your repair party.  So what is it even worth on a destroyer.  Unless you can actually stay alive the entire match dodging shells and torpedoes.  But again if I get detonated right off the bat then what's the point in even bothering with repair party?  Most cases I can stay alive the entire match with out it.

How ever with the smoke consumable.  If need be I can use it as a last resort to cover my hasty retreat and or cover my friendly team mates if they are not spamming set a smoke screen on the F keys.  So some think that repair party might work better.  But here is another situation what happens if you actually need smoke and don't even have it?  Well then you are just screwing yourself on that one sorry to say.

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

That wasn't an option when I played through Tash - I sure like it on Khab, though (I also enjoy it on Kidd - and will be taking it on Groz when the buff  comes in) - I  dumped smoke a long time ago, and never looked back.

Fly the 20% repair party flag, as well - it really makes for a strong combo.

Give it a try - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The problem with smoke, on these boats - is that you are too slow off the start, with too big a turning circle - to shoot from  smoke for more than a few seconds (as smoke in the higher tiers is a torp magnet - nothing I love  more when in Shima/Gearing/52, than when a Khab drops smoke and shoots from it - easy kill) - and if you are far enough back that red torps aren't a worry, then you aren't being as effective as you should be - in regard shell hits.

Repair party is the go-to for the vast majority of those that play these ships well, would be my guess.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
38 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

If you are detonating often, use the flag.

30 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

I always run the Det flag.

Magazine Mod 1 is good enough for random/co-op with its 70% reduction so you can save your detonation flags for ranked and Clan Wars.

Members
3,774 posts
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Magazine Mod 1 is good enough for random/co-op with its 70% reduction so you can save your detonation flags for ranked and Clan Wars.

I actually went with the main armerments mod 1 so my guns don't get knocked out as easily.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
Just now, torpsRus said:

I actually went with the main armerments mod 1 so my guns don't get knocked out as easily.

YMMV

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
9 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Huh?

Your Mileage May Vary, the catchall disclaimer about the EPA fuel mileage ratings.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
27 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

this is what I use on my DDs.  I rarely lose guns or detonate.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
2 hours ago, torpsRus said:

Unless you can actually stay alive the entire match dodging shells and torpedoes. 

That is more or less the idea.  The Tash has something like 15 km range upgraded with AFT, and even though it is a big DD, a Tash with double rudder module and speed boost active weaving in say 11-15 km range tends to take some chip damage (hence the heals) but rarely a catastrophic salvo.  Farm potential damage.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,106 posts
11,843 battles

I'm on Tashkent now as well.  My sense is that smoke might be better as it allows yoi to play closer in to sypport the team and allow for more opportunities to cap.  The heal feels a bit weak.  That said, I am running the heal since that is my plan for Khab and I've got my capt up to 19 pts with gunnery focus and the extra hitpoint skill.  Figured I would operate it that way just to familiarize myself with khab playstyle.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,325 posts
11,458 battles

2 trains of thought here:

Do I play the kiting game at max range firing all the time? Repair party.

Do I flank and burn down battleships and cruisers? Smoke.

I cannot play Khabba good enough to use repair.

2 games played in him tonight. 

107k, 1 kill, survived with a win.

23k pushed a cap and dies, 3 Khabba div, win.

I find if I can harass battleships, I can get them to turn around,  often influencing the battle.

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
599 posts
5,025 battles

When it comes to my Russian DD's I'd rather buff their strengths that compensate for their weakness.

If you're close enough to need smoke, you're playing it wrong.

Buff your speed, maneuverability and guns. Take Superintendent to give you a 3rd heal, BFT, AFT, EM and Last Stand.

Choosing DE will give you more damage from fires, but SE gives you more health, leaving you to stay in the game longer and cause more damage again. 50/50 for me, but I choose DE.

You'll never be sneaky, ignore Concealment Expert. Priority Target is useful, giving you early warning when it's time to bug out.

Russian DDs are like expensive suits. To be truly appreciated other people need to see you in them.