You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

How To Improve Division Play?

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,870 posts
5,656 battles

For some reason, I seem to actually play worse when I'm in a division than when I'm playing solo, and I'm not sure why, to be honest.

On WoWs numbers, for instance, my solo PR is nearly a hundred or even two hundred points above my 2-man or 3-man division PR.

Is it because we don't really care about the choice of ships we choose? We do communicate in-chat, so I don't think lack of communication is the reason.

Everyone talks about how divisions break the game, but I'm curious to find out why it doesn't seem to be the case for me?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles

For the longest time my three ship division rate was terrible but my two ship rate was way above my sole rate. The best reason to division is to play with people you enjoy playing with win or lose.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,445 battles

I have a few theories on how division play works better, as I have a better win rate and better WTR before warships.today imploded, in division versus solo. It's too long to write in one post though.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles

Divisioning have a multiplying effect. Group 3 unicum player together and you are expected to win more but at the same time if you group 3 - 45% player together, you are likely to lose more. If you are division-ed with 3 good players, then your individual stats will likely be lower than if you played solo because the damage and kill are essentially split between the members of the division as you coordinate with each other to make game winning plays. 

Members
475 posts
5,642 battles
42 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

For some reason, I seem to actually play worse when I'm in a division than when I'm playing solo, and I'm not sure why, to be honest.

On WoWs numbers, for instance, my solo PR is nearly a hundred or even two hundred points above my 2-man or 3-man division PR.

Is it because we don't really care about the choice of ships we choose? We do communicate in-chat, so I don't think lack of communication is the reason.

Everyone talks about how divisions break the game, but I'm curious to find out why it doesn't seem to be the case for me?

I only play solo. I am not really a social guy on wows. But i will tell you that i always plays better alone. The few games i played on a division in wows i was always concerned about what was my partner doing and this makes me to do mistakes. Now this is to a degree because in wows is important to understand the dynamics in positions , ships classes and to always play in favorable situations. So after 4k games i have an answer to each scenario. When playing in a division this changes a lot and i don't feel comfortable. Now when i played WOTB i played around 20% games in a platoon but because BLlTZ was so fast pace didn't make any difference if i was in a patoon or not. Wows is more complex.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,524 battles

Are you divisioning with players who are worse than you? Because that would tend to make your WR go down...

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
520 posts
12,625 battles

Just like most things in life you get what you put in.  If you're divisioning just for the sake of it, then you shouldn't expect much.  However, divisioning to have fun with friends while expecti g to win 75-80% of your games requires dedication.  You need to play complimentary ships: a dd, cruiser and bb is usually a great formula to begin with.  Sticking together and pushing one cap is the next step.  Focusing targets down, using voice comms, timing consumable use etc.  I find that many players division, but end up playing for themselves.  In this scenario, you don't stand to gain much.

[JASH]
Beta Testers
17 posts
5,209 battles

Can't really say for sure without watching you play, but one mistake I see divisions making occasionally is having each player in the same class. If all three of the players in a division are the the same class it limits your tactical options as a div, and you also get overlapping roles. If a div decides to take three BBs, for instance, your relying on the MM to give you dd and cruiser players that will support you. To add on, since your in a div it makes sense that you might want to go to the same locations on the map. However, if all three players of a div go to the same spot, in the same class, you might see diminishing returns on the effectiveness of your ships. If you take three dds you might be the only dds on the team and having them all in the same cap leaves other areas of the map easy pickings for the other side's torp boats. Anyway, if you want to play the same class it's not the worst thing you can do, but you need to be willing to split up depending on the team's needs.

I'd also recommend getting voice coms. Communicating in game is great (and better than 90% of the player base) but nothing beats being able to call out stuff in real time.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,325 posts
11,458 battles

I notice that I don't play the ship, I play the division..

Sometimes a ship doesn't do well in situations your div mates put you in.

The only exception seems to be my destroyer play.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,050 battles

Remove divisions from the game, simple as that. 

Or 

Harder solution, match divs only against other divs, no single tag alongs to fill the game.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,325 posts
11,458 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I addressed the play part, and did not get into the conspiracy theory of MM screwing divisions.

[JUICE]
Members
814 posts
6,369 battles

If I am not mistaken you are also more likely to get up tiered when in a 3 man division?

• Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
579 posts
4,562 battles

I had this as well but there are differences. 

In a solo game i tend to be more cautious in my gameplay. 

In division this is not the case. I find myself pushing forward when normally i wouldn't as id engage in more team options, for example tanking more damage or trying to spot for division even if worse concealment. 

I have had to learn to play as i would solo as in div at times, so not push against to many assuming comms alone will get us over the line. 

[90THS]
Members
107 posts
515 battles

Because sometimes, divisions work too well, and the match ends before you can properly farm damage, which makes up the majority of the "score" in PR and WTR calculations. 

Edited by DynDueMuffin

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles

How to improve Division performance?  In no particular order:

1.  Division with people as good as or better than you.  It sounds mean, but Divisioning up with Potatoes will drag you down and negate the point of doing better in a Division, if performance is indeed what you were looking for.

2.  The more you've played with the same people as a Division, the more efficient you become as a whole.  You understand what the other is going to do without them having to explain it much, if at all.

3.  VOICE COMMS!  Mandatory!  If you're not on voice comms, whether you're using WoWS ingame system, or Teamspeak, or Discord, whatever, active communication makes things much more easy.  Forming and carrying out a plan becomes quick, because trying to type in Division / Team Chat is ineffective, pinging on the map only does so much.

4.  Coordinate actions, especially when it comes to consumables.  Radar, Smoke, Hydro, Defensive Fire, whatever.  Radar for example, it's important to tell Div Mates how much longer it's on CD, time remaining, when you're about to pop it, etc.  This lets your Division prepare their weapons.  Example:

Div Player 1:  "Popping Radar in 10 seconds."

Div Player 2:  "Okay, guns ready and pointed."

Div Player 3:  "Hold on, my BB's guns got 20 seconds until reload."

Div Player 1: "K, holding a bit longer."

Div Player 3: "10 seconds until guns ready."

Div Player 1: "Popping Radar in 10, 9, 8..."

[Gangbang of the Radar Target Commences]

5.  Communicate what you think is going on, about to go down, etc. to your Division.  Example: One player may understand how DDs think better than the others in the Division, and it may be useful to tell them what that the opposing DD is going to try to do, so the others can play accordingly.  Just one example.  If you got knowledge, spread it.  Sometimes info that seems obvious, really isn't.

6.  Often, in the Divisions I've done, we'll pick ships to compliment Division composition.  We got a CV player in the Division?  Then AA Boats are important.  A trusted method is the 1 BB / 1 Cruiser / 1 DD that covers a lot of capabilities.  A stealthy IJN DD is backed up by a RU DD Gunboat behind it and a Radar Cruiser.  Kutuzov or Des Memes with 2 Destroyers, especially USN DDs.  Effective combinations can get crazy, especially if the players have a wide variety of ships and are proficient in a broad scope of ships.

Division Play breaks options open.  It's completely reassuring to go into a match with players that you know their quality and what they do, compared to the 9-10 others on the team that you have no clue what kind of players they are, how reliable they are, if they're aggressive or timid, etc.  A good Division can heavily sway matches.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles
1 hour ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

If I am not mistaken you are also more likely to get up tiered when in a 3 man division?

No, ship tiers of the Division are taken into account, the highest tiered one determines where the Div goes as far as MM cares for.

For example:  Weeks ago, some guys thought it'd be cool to have a Bismarck + 2 Scharnhorst Division, thinking they were going to wreck faces.  However, that Tier VIII Bismarck put them into a Tier X match.  So I'm sitting there with Montana absolutely an@lra--ng their Tier VII BBs with absolutely zero fear for my own BB, laughing the entire time.  I had a Yamato with me, and I'm sure he was laughing his a** off when the Germans tried to close range for secondaries and torpedoes.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I play solo mostly.

When I do division it is with Clan members.

When it is with Clan members we normally  laugh more than actually Battle.

[MWM]
Supertest Coordinator
276 posts
4,442 battles

Work out team tactics for the ships you play to use their strong points to you best advantage, training room and co-op is a good place to start practicing.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,478 battles
9 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Iam the same. I mostly play solo. Division play requires a different mindset, than solo. Get in a DD and you can still have relative
freedom of movement. I wouldn't worry about PR numbers.  Yours looks fine to me. They Green. :Smile_smile: