Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Is it more fun to just be seen in a Russian DD?

14 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts

I was watching @Notser you tube video of him playing the Khabarovsk, with that I don't think he even took concealment expert.  But I haven't taken concealment expert since I re speced my captain.  I went AFT.  I'm also strongly considering taking IFHE after watching @Notser's videos.  I don't even think I'll take radar, I may or may not take heal when it comes to that point.  How ever.  I am finding that actually staying visible while playing the Kiev is actually more fun than trying to stay hidden.  I've actually been using my smoke far less frequently.  This is actually starting to become some of my favorite class of ships.  In the long run I think it is more fun to be seen get a couple shots fired at me and try dodging the shells.  So is it wrong that Im staying visible to other players?  I don't think so.  I mean how hard is it really to hit a dd that has a gun range of a cruiser.  Pretty difficult from what I've seen.  But you tell me am I even playing these boats right?

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,961 battles

Yes Khaba doesn't care about your radar.

Though I tend to play Kiev as a cross between a traditional DD and Khaba.  I even have CE on Kiev.  If there's no other DD to cap I have no problem attempting to cap in Kiev.  

Khaba though...  I rarely try to cap early unless there's only 1 or 2 DDs on my team.  Other than that I come out guns a blazin in full view of everybody radar or not.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles

Traditionally, Russian DDs tend not to care much about concealment.  If your guns weren't firing, you're doing it wrong.  The idea is that their concealment is so bad that it's just simple to play them as a Citadel-less "Light Cruiser."  This does have a use that the annoying RU DD pelting the Battleships at range can also be dodging lots of incoming fire, shells that could have otherwise gone on to hit some Cruiser that can't take the punishment to begin with.

After the RU DD Split, there are some decent Stealth Candidates in the line, especially Grozovoi.

As for eschewing Stealth altogether in a RU DD, there are times where that will seriously bite you in the a$$.  Let's say you queue up and find yourself as 1 of 2 DDs of the team, spawning on the other side of the map of your fellow DD, now you're kind of expected to probe around and scout, running into the detection of enemy DDs and get shelled at bad times.  Or worse, you are the ONLY DD of the team and now you have to take up all DD responsibilities, which includes screening, scouting, contesting the caps.

What are you going to do as a RU DD with sh*t concealment in such cases?  Just keep playing "CL" style and give up the caps altogether?  Or venture into a meta where things like Z-52, USN DDs, etc. like to play their game?  The worst part is that the stealthy DD will spot the RU DD forced into playing "their game" a long ways off, and he won't even need to fire guns nor torps at the RU DD.  All he needs to do is perma-spot it and the Cruisers and Battleships will kill the RU DD or drive it off.

In these kind of cases, that's where I really hated sailing most of my RU DDs.  It's either that or give up all the caps.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,961 battles

Things that can be seen from outer space:

• The Great Barrier Reef
  • Pyramids at Giza
  • Grand Canyon
  • A Khaba trying to cap
  • Funny 1

360 posts
194 battles

It's more fun because with the WASD shenanigans you can pull in a Khab, they may as well be trying to shoot you from space.

Members
3,774 posts
Just now, TugboatCommander said:

It's more fun because with the WASD shenanigans you can pull in a Khab, they may as well be trying to shoot you from space.

I've had more fun with that lol.  Not to mention the kill steels.  The best troll boat I've played so far lol.

Members
3,774 posts
29 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Traditionally, Russian DDs tend not to care much about concealment.  If your guns weren't firing, you're doing it wrong.  The idea is that their concealment is so bad that it's just simple to play them as a Citadel-less "Light Cruiser."  This does have a use that the annoying RU DD pelting the Battleships at range can also be dodging lots of incoming fire, shells that could have otherwise gone on to hit some Cruiser that can't take the punishment to begin with.

After the RU DD Split, there are some decent Stealth Candidates in the line, especially Grozovoi.

As for eschewing Stealth altogether in a RU DD, there are times where that will seriously bite you in the a$$.  Let's say you queue up and find yourself as 1 of 2 DDs of the team, spawning on the other side of the map of your fellow DD, now you're kind of expected to probe around and scout, running into the detection of enemy DDs and get shelled at bad times.  Or worse, you are the ONLY DD of the team and now you have to take up all DD responsibilities, which includes screening, scouting, contesting the caps.

What are you going to do as a RU DD with sh*t concealment in such cases?  Just keep playing "CL" style and give up the caps altogether?  Or venture into a meta where things like Z-52, USN DDs, etc. like to play their game?  The worst part is that the stealthy DD will spot the RU DD forced into playing "their game" a long ways off, and he won't even need to fire guns nor torps at the RU DD.  All he needs to do is perma-spot it and the Cruisers and Battleships will kill the RU DD or drive it off.

In these kind of cases, that's where I really hated sailing most of my RU DDs.  It's either that or give up all the caps.

As I said in other posts lol there are always ways of beating radar in a DD.

[TF16B]
Members
8,034 posts
16,968 battles
46 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For a tier I despise and won’t play unless there’s no choice for some reason, or I just feel like it; Groz is the only T10 I like, (more so than Gearing and DM, my only other T 10s.)

Personally suck at cap fighting, so Groz is stealthed and support, w. RPF and DF. Been quite a few sneaky lolibotes surprised.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles
27 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

As I said in other posts lol there are always ways of beating radar in a DD.

It's just that personally, RU DDs were my last DD Line that I played hardcore.  But after having too many circumstances where I'm the only DD or the team desperately needs a DD to enter caps or lose, it became a real sh*tty experience.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles

Don't laugh at a capping Khabarovsk. Mine only has the consealment module and I get plenty of capping ribbons given the decline in high tier DD numbers. My Udaloi gets even more. 

[KP]
Members
1,991 posts
18,359 battles
1 hour ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Yes Khaba doesn't care about your radar.

Though I tend to play Kiev as a cross between a traditional DD and Khaba.  I even have CE on Kiev.  If there's no other DD to cap I have no problem attempting to cap in Kiev.  

Khaba though...  I rarely try to cap early unless there's only 1 or 2 DDs on my team.  Other than that I come out guns a blazin in full view of everybody radar or not.

I switched to RDF on my Kiev now I hunt other DD:s

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,183 battles

Yep, a lot of the Russian DD's are essentially evasion tanks.

You tank damage for your team by constantly being seen harassing and encouraging incoming fire that will most likely be dodged. 

[IHW]
Members
21 posts

I keep hearing about stealth builds on Russian DDs? I thought they were light cruisers!

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,024 battles

Playing a Russian DD is like wearing an expensive suit: You need to be seen to be appreciated. My Khab setup got me to rank 5, Only playing semi seriously around other missions. My Russian DD builds are to exaggerate their strengths rather than fail to compensate for their weaknesses, and TBH I never enjoyed the non gunboat DDs so I'm not referring to them.

Your concealment is the worst in the game. You can reduce it using modules and capt skills, but the enemy dds still do that much better, and you've wasted capt skills and modules to remain the worst in the game. Better to fit modules and train skills that improve your speed and maneuverability, improve your guns and DPS, and improve your health.

If you're close enough to need to hide in smoke, you're too close. Ditch smoke, choose heal for Tier IX and X. My 19pt captain has PT and PM from level 1, EM and LS from level 2, BFT, Super and DE at level 3 and AFT at level 4. The only change I'd consider would be to swap DE with SE at level 3, reducing the chance of fire against potentially staying in the match longer in some cases.

Sign in to follow this