You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Huanghe

How to play Huanghe~

41 comments in this topic

[THICC]
Members
68 posts
166 battles

Greetings Player, it is I, Huanghe, Master of my namesake, and I am here to help you experience the beauty of this wonderful ship. 

I have learned many things in the past 50 battles that I have experienced in this wonderful  big destroyer cruiser, and I would like to pass on to others that own or want to own this cruiser. Upon first glance she may appear as weak or under-powered, with only 3x2 152 mm/57 МK-4 and 2x 533 mm Tri-tube torps. The thing that really separates the ship from the rest of the pack at and around t6 is its amazing stealth capability. She can get her concealment down to 8.1km (5.3km from the air, with a 4.2km smoke firing penalty). She also has quite powerful AA that can shred planes when properly spec'd, and even though the ship does not receive the defensive fire consumable, her turning circle is so small I have never eaten a single plane torp. 

Build(s):

Spoiler

My Current build (Only 12 Point Commander):
http://bit.ly/2ti1Bqt
Build Goal (Balanced):
http://bit.ly/2IccPBD
Aggressive:
http://bit.ly/2Idyh9b
Survival:
http://bit.ly/2McjQoh
Stat Padder:
http://bit.ly/2JIeEGY
Operation Supreme:
http://bit.ly/2LeLpBl

(The reason most builds dont have SI is because the smoke cool down is long enough that unless you are smoking up all willy-nilly, you should have time for just 3 in a game [3 is what you get with prem smoke]).

Playstyle:
-The way that the ship has been working for me the best has been in close engagements and by assisting friendly destroyers within caps. The concealment of this ship allows it to easily follow a friendly destroyer to a cap or flank and smoke fire the enemies in the area. If you are loading into a game and there is no destroyers on either team, you become the destroyer. When alone with no other super stealth ships in the game to fight you (and there is no radar [or you know where it is]), you can head straight for the B cap and take it. Use the smoke if you are detected and don't know what it is from, or when you know that the enemies are approaching you (and already within your range by 1 or 2km). Keep moving within the smoke at about 1/4 speed and you can even jog the throttle between 1/4 and 1/2 because you can stay concealed moving at 12kts in this smoke (use your hydro at the beginning of the smoke so that they have the same cool-down). Don't be afraid to use your AP when you see cruisers broadside, even at your max range (this thing racks up cit hits). The torpedo's may only have a range of 8km, but that means if someone is already 9.5km away and closing, you can launch them with a decent probability that they will still land on target (they reload quickly as well).  When the smoke is nearing the end of its duration be sure to have an exit plan lined up on the path to take if you get spotted after it recedes. The small size of the ship will allow you to dodge most of the incoming shells because you are smaller than the dispersion of the bbs around this tier. 

-Dont be afraid of open water, you can sneak around and smoke when you find a good spot. 
-Even though the guns are Russian, you can still shoot over islands if your smoke is on cool-down. 
-Help another smoke-using cruiser and trade smokes for the times between the long smoke cool-down. 

I have included some replay that show the ability of this ship in action: 

Examples:

Spoiler

Huang_He-lg.png
(Image) http://shipcomrade.com/ships/huang_he : For Specifics on ship stats as well.

Edited by Huanghe
Added another build:
  • Cool 21
  • Boring 2

[HYDRO]
Members
1,299 posts
3,653 battles

On the one hand I know this is an alt account, but on the other hand picking Huanghe to play out of all the rest of the available premiums is very admirable and makes me smile.

Looking forward to your Molotov review when you open a Molotov named account :Smile_medal: +1

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[ARP]
[ARP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
702 posts
6,692 battles

Have an upvote for your name :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles

She racks up credits in Aegis, I use torp reload booster there, because there is usually good spotting and ships that you spot with hydro, can already see you if you are shooting. Spotting from smoke is her main weakness. Never go north with her on killer Whale by your self, it's a death sentence. I'll have to see what she does on Defense of Newport. I don't like that scenario much, too many defeats. A hint for operations. Take the shot that is showing more broadside to you every time.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[THICC]
Members
68 posts
166 battles
36 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

She racks up credits in Aegis, I use torp reload booster there, because there is usually good spotting and ships that you spot with hydro, can already see you if you are shooting. Spotting from smoke is her main weakness. Never go north with her on killer Whale by your self, it's a death sentence. I'll have to see what she does on Defense of Newport. I don't like that scenario much, too many defeats. A hint for operations. Take the shot that is showing more broadside to you every time.

She worked very well in the Raptor Rescue, I stayed with Raptor and smoked for her, even smoking a path to the final zone when raptor begins to take a lot of fire. The Perth-like smoke meant that it kept going and the CV was never detected until it was too late for the enemies.

Edited by Huanghe
Current OP is no longer Raptor Rescue...

[OPG]
[OPG]
Members
137 posts
7,199 battles

"Thanks Kanye, very cool!" I have been looking for a T6 to use for operations and I will now be thinking about this one.

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
22 minutes ago, Huanghe said:

She worked very well in the current op

She does do well in Raptor Rescue, current Operation is Newport.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
-Members-
6,863 posts
7,214 battles

A master of your trade, good sir.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles

impressive,he mastered a unpopular ship and still managed to be the top dog.

great work.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles

Nice write up. +1

I received the Huanghe in a Santa Crate last Christmas.  She's not a ship I would have gone out and bought and it quickly became apparent you can't fight her like a normal cruiser without being quickly deleted.  She requires a lot of thought in how she is going to be played if you're going to be successful.  I tend to fight her differently than the OP is suggesting but there's some good ideas here that I might try and see if they work for me. 

Good job. 

• Cool 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles

Huanghe is a tough ship to generate much damage with.  Probably the worst of my tier 6 cruisers, and really bad when tiered up.  Averages about 16k less in damage then my Perth.  Got in a santa crate, do not play often, every once in awhile, feel like a challenge, and take her out.  If you know how to make a Perth work, you can play the Hu, but you need to lower the expectation levels ( if ya get to 50k damage, that is a good game). If you want to play crawl smoke, get a Perth...

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,729 battles

People who make fun of this ship have no idea 1. What they are talking about, and 2. What they are missing. 

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,699 posts
3,861 battles

I have fun playing it.  But I don't have many points on the captain (only 6 right now) so I don't get the concealment.  So for the moment I only play it in Ops.  It does okay in Killer Whale.  

[THICC]
Members
68 posts
166 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I think she does pretty well in the Defense of Newport, I just did it with some randoms...

op.thumb.PNG.741712f860f30fd4ce1d0bbabf0ad88f.PNG

ops.PNG

Edited by Huanghe
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Supertest Coordinator, Supertester
6,387 posts
7,321 battles

Lol! Exemplary! Great job Captain :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[THICC]
Members
68 posts
166 battles
1 hour ago, murryhawk said:

No IFHE in any of those builds, care to elaborate as I actually like this ship.

If you are going to take IFHE you will then need to take DE, and my original build had it and even though it made me do a little bit more to high tier USN ships, the loss of fire chance I felt hurt it more in the long run because you don't really have the dps to be reliably doing damage to a bb, so you start fires. On the cruisers you fight at the tier your basic he shell has enough pen to hurt them and this is why I keep from using the IFHE on her. 

Edited by Huanghe
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
14 hours ago, Huanghe said:

Greetings Player, it is I, Huanghe, Master of my namesake, and I am here to help you experience the beauty of this wonderful ship. 

Great Write up +1:Smile_medal:

[GRFOX]
Members
2,201 posts
4,521 battles

Maxing our the secondaries means as soon as you are spotted the the spotter gets lit up with t9 Russian secondaries. Just thought I would let everyone know that.

[TBOW]
Members
1,175 posts
10,410 battles

Actually seems like seeing a bit more it.  I enjoy it and the Perth.  Both are fun botes.   Well done.

[INTEL]
Members
741 posts
7,855 battles

I've had this boat in port for several months and finally played her yesterday.  Only a 10 point capt without ce. Laid waste to the bots in Newport with 8 kills. Torp reload booster was a big part of pulling that off. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles
13 hours ago, NotoriousRNG said:

People who make fun of this ship have no idea 1. What they are talking about, and 2. What they are missing. 

I have a Perth.  I will make fun of that turd pile, and I have have a pretty good idea of what it can do.  Perth > Huangmeh.  I've run across several Huanghes, and sent them to the scrap pile.