You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cruxdei

operation cherry blossom - devs

15 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,833 posts
4,070 battles

WG explain how they made the operation and the story behind the mission.

i actually can't wait to try it out.

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Awesome! I've wanted night battles since forever.

Sub_O posted last year about night battles. He said if they ever did night battles, it would look like this. The pic he posted was black. :Smile_teethhappy:

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,940 posts
8 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Awesome! I've wanted night battles since forever.

Sub_O posted last year about night battles. He said if they ever did night battles, it would look like this. The pic he posted was black. :Smile_teethhappy:

I believe Op Hermes is a night battle have you played that?

Edited by shadowsrmine

[RKLES]
Members
7,106 posts
8,758 battles

Not sure how enjoyable this mission will be or if it will be a flop. The restrictions are worse than Hermès and the rewards are not exactly compensating for the trouble the OP will likely be, except for the premium time of course which is always nice. Was kind of hoping for Doubloons again. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,568 posts
3,740 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Not sure how enjoyable this mission will be or if it will be a flop. The restrictions are worse than Hermès and the rewards are not exactly compensating for the trouble the OP will likely be, except for the premium time of course which is always nice. Was kind of hoping for Doubloons again. 

At least this includes the soviet cruisers unlike Hermes, though it is tier 8.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Now if only we had movies like these. Instead all we got are CG analysis, black and white, and navy movies that are either in the air or underwater. It's not like fighting a Tiger Tank with a Sherman, thousands of banzai charging Japanese soldiers, or watching you friends die from a landing craft from MG42s is horrific... It's just that being in a huge warship yet stuck in a confined space in the middle of the ocean without being able to know what is happening other than your orders given to you (at night) is a different experience that would be great for a movie.

I have no personal history other than the articles, Wikipedia, history books, and old WW2 books I read. Surface warships are simply unrepresented in media compared to either their bigger cousins, the Battleships and Aircraft Carriers or submarines. The costs would obviously suck but you would think with some CG and some sets that a good movie would come. I know Tom Hanks is making a movie but that is more set in the Atlantic Convoys. Not like that is bad, it is just the closest thing we may see compared to the multiple sea battles of Guadalcanal or the battle that this operation is based on. (I'd say the name but I don't remember the full name)

[WOLF3]
Members
5,979 posts
2,203 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

No, it's not night.  It just gets dark when you're inside the thunderstorm.  Though, actually, not too different.

[RKLES]
Members
7,106 posts
8,758 battles
55 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

At least this includes the soviet cruisers unlike Hermes, though it is tier 8.

Problem is depending on what Wargaming throws at us there will be no BBs like Richelieu to tank fire and carry the teams like in Hermès Operation. I have seen so many cruisers quickly sunk in Hermès that it makes me quite concerned about the Cherry Blosdom Operation. Soviet Cruisers will not be a substitute for IJN and KM CAs or being able to help carry teams using a CV or BB. The 15k Free XP is ok, but that can be earned elsewhere and likely will not be enough of a reward to compensate for the hardships Cherry Blossom. Players will likely need to  create teams of skilled players, which is a shame since I have been able to get 5 stars on all the other operations with random teams.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

It's more of a foul-weather operation, though given the effects on visibility it might amount to much the same thing. Looking forward to giving Cherry Blossom a go, as I did not attempt it on PTS.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,568 posts
3,740 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Problem is depending on what Wargaming throws at us there will be no BBs like Richelieu to tank fire and carry the teams like in Hermès Operation. I have seen so many cruisers quickly sunk in Hermès that it makes me quite concerned about the Cherry Blosdom Operation. Soviet Cruisers will not be a substitute for IJN and KM CAs or being able to help carry teams using a CV or BB. The 15k Free XP is ok, but that can be earned elsewhere and likely will not be enough of a reward to compensate for the hardships Cherry Blossom. Players will likely need to  create teams of skilled players, which is a shame since I have been able to get 5 stars on all the other operations with random teams.

Well on the plus side, you won't get splatted by BBs in Operation Cherry Blossom since they won't be there where as in Hermes, it is very brutal once you get spotted and have all the German BBs fire at you instead of the French BBs......

It's a fair trade in my perspective.

Beta Testers
163 posts
6,503 battles

Instead you'll just deal with a flood of torpedoes, since Shiratsuyus made up 3/6 of the IJN DDs at Empress Augusta Bay. :P Yeah, yeah, the operation is not going to stick to precise ship numbers for any number of obvious reasons, but given tiering seeing a bunch of that specific T7 is a likelihood. All the other aspects they were talking about for this operation just seem plain cool, and I'd love to see more in this vein in the future - night battles made up a fairly large part of the surface actions in the Pacific.

As for the historical aspect, WG manages to make minor errors in their historical discussion again - the IJN only lost two ships, not three, during the battle. And it can't just be lumping actual sunk and withdrawn ships together, because that total was higher than three even before the force decided to withdraw as a whole.

Secondarily, whoever's currently doing the voiceover work REALLY needs a voice director. The first person had absolutely horrid pronunciation - seriously, it took a moment to realize he was even talking about Rabaul it was so bad, and Bougainville was only recognizable due to how long it was - and it was made worse because the second person also mentioned Rabaul like 5 seconds later with a completely different pronunciation (a far better one). This isn't exactly something it should take a lot of time or money to do right, and it looks so much more professional.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
3 minutes ago, NozTheWhiteDawn said:

Instead you'll just deal with a flood of torpedoes, since Shiratsuyus made up 3/6 of the IJN DDs at Empress Augusta Bay. :P Yeah, yeah, the operation is not going to stick to precise ship numbers for any number of obvious reasons, but given tiering seeing a bunch of that specific T7 is a likelihood. All the other aspects they were talking about for this operation just seem plain cool, and I'd love to see more in this vein in the future - night battles made up a fairly large part of the surface actions in the Pacific.

As for the historical aspect, WG manages to make minor errors in their historical discussion again - the IJN only lost two ships, not three, during the battle. And it can't just be lumping actual sunk and withdrawn ships together, because that total was higher than three even before the force decided to withdraw as a whole.

Secondarily, whoever's currently doing the voiceover work REALLY needs a voice director. The first person had absolutely horrid pronunciation - seriously, it took a moment to realize he was even talking about Rabaul it was so bad, and Bougainville was only recognizable due to how long it was - and it was made worse because the second person also mentioned Rabaul like 5 seconds later with a completely different pronunciation (a far better one). This isn't exactly something it should take a lot of time or money to do right, and it looks so much more professional.

:cap_book::cap_book::cap_book::cap_book:

[WOLF3]
Members
5,979 posts
2,203 battles

IIRC one of the damaged IJN ships was out of operation for the duration, but I didn't find a cite on quick search.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Having Played this Scenario in the PT. WG did this Right. It requires TEAMWORK to be successful. The visibility is set just perfect to allow the players to vaguely see the enemy ships unless they sail into the Flairs or Star Shells. As the Sun rises the real feces hits the fan. A majority of ships you will face off with have Torpedoes and the Aerodromes send wave after wave of TB's and DB's. Your team has to survive Seven Players enter if you want to win this scenario a min. of 3 losses is all you can afford. Play smart as a Team or Fail Miserably. Failed Missions don't win stars. Primary objectives are a must to "Win"Secondary Missions are how much Prizes you want as a TEAM.