You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Schnauzahpowahz

Opinions on French capt. trainer / money makers

12 comments in this topic

Members
94 posts
1,267 battles

I really like the French cruiser line. Though it seems there aren't many options, what's the best trainer , money maker and all round fun French prem? Looked at reviews for De Grass, seems like a La Gal type ship with good guns etc 

The Dunk seems meh from what I've seen, but what do I know...

Are those the only options? 

Beta Testers
2,832 posts
4,035 battles

dunk is unique like richelieu and gascogne,sadly her guns are not exactly accurate and WG is not fond of her enough to buff her.

gascogne is...weird?better sigma  and secondaries than richelieu  but the turret placement is uncomfortable for some people and the shells tend to overmatch i think.

if i were you,pick the de grasse,it's the most balanced france premium currently.

Edited by Cruxdei

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
2 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

dunk is unique like richelieu and gascogne,sadly her guns are not exactly accurate and WG is not fond of her enough to buff her.

gascogne is...weird?better sigma  and secondaries than richelieu  but the turret placement is uncomfortable for some people and the shells tend to overmatch i think.

if i were you,pick the de grasse,it's the most balanced france premium currently.

Well I have both, and while the Dunkerque's guns can be a little wacky, she is a good Battle-Cruiser and IMO that is how to play her as a Cruiser.

The De Grasse is just a fun ship and as Cruxdei she is the most balanced of the French Premiums.

So if I was you I would get both, if your wallet can handle it.:Smile_honoring: 

• Cool 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,083 battles

DeGrasse is a good tier 6 crusier,  good captain trainer, enjoy it, competitive- but like all the tier 6 cruisers, will struggle when low tier.

Dunk - would not recommend.  Mine in now a perm Port Queen.  Bought her long ago, was fast, good fire starter, and wonky dispersion could be overlooked and people were not use to playing against up front only main guns.   Now, just too much power creep on BBs, much better tier 6 BBs to play and why pay for one of the worst in it’s tier even for a captain trainer?

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles

I like my DeGrasse quite a bit, but seems like it might need IFHE to really shine...? Just not sure that's a good use of four points as I go up the line (have CE as of now).

Beta Testers
2,832 posts
4,035 battles
1 minute ago, MajorEnglush said:

I like my DeGrasse quite a bit, but seems like it might need IFHE to really shine...? Just not sure that's a good use of four points as I go up the line (have CE as of now).

make a unique captain for degrasse since IFHE becomes useless when you get algerie.

i didn't waste it on la galisso because i knew 203mm guns don't like IFHE very much.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 1

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles
1 hour ago, MajorEnglush said:

I kept Emile Bertin because it's a fun little ship. She and DeGrasse share an almost 19pt Capt. IFHE makes a big difference. It's not worth it on T7+ Capts though.

Members
94 posts
1,267 battles

So sounding like the DG is the one I should pick up. Theres just something about the frenchies I like...

Those park benches  :cap_haloween:

Are there any non TT prems  waving the French flag to look out for ? 

Beta Testers
2,832 posts
4,035 battles
8 minutes ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

So sounding like the DG is the one I should pick up. Theres just something about the frenchies I like...

Those park benches  :cap_haloween:

Are there any non TT prems  waving the French flag to look out for ? 

THAT's the good thing about french cruisers,they don't have a "bad" ship,all of them are great. henry is not used much in the competitive meta because she is too "balanced" or she don't fit a alpha meta like hindenburg or the stealth meta like zao. she is the middle ground.yeah she have the second strongest gun caliber(behind krons and stalin now) but hinden have better dpm and german ap is dangerous. yes you can make her stealthy somehow but zao is more stealthy and have better torps now.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,633 posts
14,025 battles

If you're looking for an efficient, effective French trainer for your French Cruiser Line, DeGrasse is the odd one, especially if you intend to use the CAs of the line.  DG is a Light Cruiser and kind of needs IFHE, whereas the Tier VII+ ships don't need it.  Without IFHE you'll get a lot of Non-Pen hits.  The CAs don't care, they'll Penetrate, do damage, as well as set Fires.

Your French CA captain would fit in better on Dunkerque or even Gascogne.

If you don't mind completely clashing captain builds on your Premiums then do whatever you want.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
98 posts
11,891 battles

Tier VI Scenario Operations train French CL commanders in flagged DeGrasse quickly.

The DeGrasse is a good trainer for French CL commanders but not CA commanders.  My Duguay-Trouin and Emile Bertin commanders were trained up to IFHE using DeGrasse in Scenario Operations, and the Friant commander is now training in DeGrasse for one more point to reach IFHE.  The LaGal commander was trained first without IFHE and was transferred to Algerie.  

I wanted a trainer ship for my French BB fleet, but have cooled my enthusiasm since reading Dunkerque player reviews.  Still ... if there is a sale … on Bastille Day in July ...