Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MaxitheBraixen

Im sure people ask this alot but what would be good skills to have on a russian DD captian??

9 comments in this topic

[GREPT]
Members
26 posts
1,399 battles

Again Im sure people ask this a lot so sorry in advance, but Im planning on going down the russian DD line, I have a ten point commander ready to go, I have not spent the skill points as off yet, so what would be the most optomal skills to get for the russian DDs?

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,416 battles

That really depends which tier DD you are building a captain for, which ship you are building for and what you are trying to emphasize with your ship build. There is no one size fits all. There are skills that are good in general though.

[GREPT]
Members
26 posts
1,399 battles
Just now, Lightninger said:

That really depends which tier DD you are building a captain for, which ship you are building for and what you are trying to emphasize with your ship build. There is no one size fits all. There are skills that are good in general though.

true, im not really sure to be honest, so far I only have the tier II ship ATM, but I do plan to try and get up to tier X or at most hover at tier VIII.

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles
38 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

There's always a bit of room for personal preference, but this is pretty much ideal for Kiev through Khabarovsk.  The Ognevoi - Grozovoi run works with a more traditional, Concealment-based build.

I don't really have much experience with the "new" mid-tier Russian DDs (since the split over a year ago), but assuming you'll want to move your captain along the line you're generally best off taking the skills that will be on your final, 19-point build.  I'd personally go with Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Basic Firing Training, and Advanced Firing Training with my first 10 points, then pick up Survivability Expert, Demolition Expert, Adrenalin Rush, and Priority Target in that order.  Note that Superintendent is also a strong choice as your final 3-point skill given that most people run the heal with Khabarovsk.  I opt for BFT before SE simply because the health boost doesn't make that much of a difference until you're up to tier 7 & beyond, at which point your captain should have more than 13 points anyway.

Don't be tempted by Expert Marksman!  While your turrets are painfully slow throughout the line, your ideal engagement range is long enough that turret rotation shouldn't come into play.  Just get into the practice of pre-positioning your guns and planning ahead for major turns, not unlike what you'd do in a battleship.

[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
12 minutes ago, MaxitheBraixen said:

true, im not really sure to be honest, so far I only have the tier II ship ATM, but I do plan to try and get up to tier X or at most hover at tier VIII.

here's another source of info:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gnevny

in general all commanders first skill is priority target or preventive maintenance. second skill for russian dds (which are ultimately miniature cruisers, and not proper torpedo destroyers) probably expert marksman although a case could be made for last stand. third skill i would take BFT because it's a gunboat, fourth skill generally always concealment expert regardless of ship, although AFT is also viable.

• Cool 1

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,416 battles
40 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

here's another source of info:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gnevny

in general all commanders first skill is priority target or preventive maintenance. second skill for russian dds (which are ultimately miniature cruisers, and not proper torpedo destroyers) probably expert marksman although a case could be made for last stand. third skill i would take BFT because it's a gunboat, fourth skill generally always concealment expert regardless of ship, although AFT is also viable.

You want to take Last Stand first for your second skill. The skill expert marksman is only useful for the tier VII and below, and Taskent if you are using MBM 3.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,416 battles
57 minutes ago, MaxitheBraixen said:

First pick what ship your captain will end up on and then I will give a captain build suggestion from there. Unlike most players, I actually use CE on all my Russian DDs except for Khabarovsk, and am thinking to build one with CE for it to experiment with. And DE is really situational to me, more useful on the lower tiers as higher tier ships are generally more resistant to having fires started on them.

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles
10 hours ago, Lightninger said:

First pick what ship your captain will end up on and then I will give a captain build suggestion from there. Unlike most players, I actually use CE on all my Russian DDs except for Khabarovsk, and am thinking to build one with CE for it to experiment with. And DE is really situational to me, more useful on the lower tiers as higher tier ships are generally more resistant to having fires started on them.

I switched over to a CE+AFT build on my Khaba during ranked season & still have it on there.  I don't think it's ideal, but there are instances in the mid- and end-game where it comes in handy--a 7.9km detection radius allows for closing the distance a bit more when you want to take out an enemy DD/low health ship quickly.  With the right angles you can even stealth torp. :Smile_teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this