Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Replacing the Cleveland in operations

18 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
1,115 posts
4,238 battles

My Pensacola did fine in Killer Whale. But I don't know about Raptor Rescue. It is hard to judge because there were more BB's & most of the operations I played had a CV. While some CV's excelled, that was not true with most. Also there were more BB's than the lase couple of times Raptor Rescue was the operation of the week. This placed a lot of pressure on the cruisers to delete the enemy DD's asap. For those reasons the slow traversing turrets & reload time was more apparent with the Pensacola. My Normandie does well in Naval Station Newport. I haven't used the Pensacola yet but I find it easier to position your ship in this operation. That mitigates some of the slow turret speed.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

My Pensacola did fine in Killer Whale. But I don't know about Raptor Rescue. It is hard to judge because there were more BB's & most of the operations I played had a CV. While some CV's excelled, that was not true with most. Also there were more BB's than the lase couple of times Raptor Rescue was the operation of the week. This placed a lot of pressure on the cruisers to delete the enemy DD's asap. For those reasons the slow traversing turrets & reload time was more apparent with the Pensacola. My Normandie does well in Naval Station Newport. I haven't used the Pensacola yet but I find it easier to position your ship in this operation. That mitigates some of the slow turret speed.

Comparing cleveland with pensacola in operations is just.... smh...

they are two completely different classifications of ships...

light cruiser and heavy cruiser.

if anything you want a comparison, at least compare old cleveland vs dallas next week

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[WPP]
Members
518 posts
5,474 battles

The French LaGass has been solid for me. Because there are so many lightly armored targets that love broadsiding you its AP is really good.  My record is 23 Citadels in on game.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles
25 minutes ago, galspanic said:

The French LaGass has been solid for me.

A good ship with surprising AA.

[TDRB]
Members
1,115 posts
4,238 battles
1 hour ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Comparing cleveland with pensacola in operations is just.... smh...

they are two completely different classifications of ships...

light cruiser and heavy cruiser.

if anything you want a comparison, at least compare old cleveland vs dallas next week

Why would you think a comparison was made?

[DARTH]
Members
537 posts
11,496 battles

Pensacola is good, but you do have to plan ahead for the slow turrets.  I’m finding DeGrasse to be a good cruiser for ops.  Honestly, though, my favorites at this point are Arizona and Warspite.  It’s nice not getting citadeled by that dang Myogi. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles

Pensacola did awesome in Killer Whale

Pensacola did alright in Raptor Rescue

Pensacola kinda' sucks for Newport.

She takes a lot of damage from HE. Even Kumas and  will hit you for a lot of HE damage. Aoba, FurryTaco and Myoko can citadel you with HE. Her low rate of fire, her mediocre HE and the fact that she can't overmatch Aobas makes her iffy for this operation. Her guns can still be devastating and I routinely turn 100k damage in Newport, but she's far too fragile and when your team's evaporating, you can't take the focused fire that's bound to come your way. Her slow turret rotation makes maneuvering difficult because it takes ages for your guns to get back on target in an operation where literally seconds count.

[TDRB]
Members
1,115 posts
4,238 battles
26 minutes ago, galspanic said:

The French LaGass has been solid for me. Because there are so many lightly armored targets that love broadsiding you its AP is really good.  My record is 23 Citadels in on game.

In operations I do good on the De Grasse. I also have some success with the Molotov. I'll try the Dallas when it becomes available next week. I do not expect any ship to replace the Cleveland.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
47 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Why would you think a comparison was made?

>title says replacing cleveland in operations.

>post was about how pensacola was preforming.

im just saying that in order to say how she was in operations i would put pensacola to another CA like Aoba/ Graf spee not a lot of them at tier 6  but oh well...

but cleveland didnt get replaced in operations from pensacola... nooo that was dallas. :)

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
573 posts
3,672 battles

Has anyone used the Duca D"Aosta?  I have one but haven't tried it in ops yet.

[TDRB]
Members
1,115 posts
4,238 battles
17 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Pensacola did awesome in Killer Whale

Pensacola did alright in Raptor Rescue

Pensacola kinda' sucks for Newport.

She takes a lot of damage from HE. Even Kumas and  will hit you for a lot of HE damage. Aoba, FurryTaco and Myoko can citadel you with HE. Her low rate of fire, her mediocre HE and the fact that she can't overmatch Aobas makes her iffy for this operation. Her guns can still be devastating and I routinely turn 100k damage in Newport, but she's far too fragile and when your team's evaporating, you can't take the focused fire that's bound to come your way. Her slow turret rotation makes maneuvering difficult because it takes ages for your guns to get back on target in an operation where literally seconds count.

The team did evaporate the only time I drove the Pensacola in Newport. I knew replacing the Cleveland would be by committee because WG wasn't going to give the Cleveland's positives to another single T6 cruiser.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles
3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The team did evaporate the only time I drove the Pensacola in Newport. I knew replacing the Cleveland would be by committee because WG wasn't going to give the Cleveland's positives to another single T6 cruiser.

Dallas should be pretty close. A little less health, a little less AA and minus 2 guns but her playstyle and overall effectiveness should be pretty close to what Cleveland was. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
8 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Has anyone used the Duca D"Aosta?  I have one but haven't tried it in ops yet.

Do.  The few times I've seen her, she wrecks the place.

[TDRB]
Members
1,115 posts
4,238 battles
3 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

>title says replacing cleveland in operations.

>post was about how pensacola was preforming.

im just saying that in order to say how she was in operations i would put pensacola to another CA like Aoba/ Graf spee not a lot of them at tier 6  but oh well...

but cleveland didnt get replaced in operations from pensacola... nooo that was dallas. :)

Fair enough.

It is unfair to the Pensacola to compare it to the Cleveland. The Dallas will suffer the same fate as it will be compared to the Cleveland as well. Apparently the Cleveland was a little overpowering at T6 in WG's perspective so neither T6 US cruiser will match the Cleveland. That doesn't mean they are bad ships. I will need to find where, when & if these 2 ships fit when playing the operation of the week. 

I was looking for feed back as to what ships others have found success with.

[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,785 battles

With the move of the Cleveland to tier 8 in update 0.7.5, I miss one of my go to cruisers for the tier 6 Operation scenarios.

As a few other posters have stated, though, for Killer Whale, the Pensacola is a great replacement. While her 203 mm guns are painfully slow on the traverse and she doesn't quite have the DPM of the Cleveland's 152 mm flamethrowers, the 'Cola does hit the forts and the cruisers she faces in that Op hard. And while her AA isn't as OP as the Cleveland's was, it is more than enough for Killer Whale.

The Pensacola is also a pretty good replacement for the Cleveland in Raptor Rescue, but I prefer the Budyonny or Leander here. Besides Killer Whale and Raptor Rescue, I haven't tried the Pensacola, Budyonny, or Leander out on any of the other Operation scenarios since update 0.7.5, but I'll be giving Defense of Naval Station Newport a go this week. 

It will be interesting to see how the Dallas does for tier 6 Ops as soon as 0.7.6 drops, likely next week.

[WPP]
Members
518 posts
5,474 battles
39 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

In operations I do good on the De Grasse. I also have some success with the Molotov. I'll try the Dallas when it becomes available next week. I do not expect any ship to replace the Cleveland.

I actually bought the DeGrasse to replace the tech tree tier 6 and now use DeGrasse for 6 and the Algiere for ops that require tier 7.  

I'm actually somewhat excited about getting the Indianapolis for free since I can do the same thing with my Americans - run the same captain in weekly operations regardless of which mission it is.

[PSP]
Members
6,304 posts
8,927 battles
43 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I've had good luck with my De Grasse in tier VI operations too. I got 12 kills in Killer whale with it last week. The only problem is that it's lacking the fine AA of the old Cleveland.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF6]
Members
194 posts
2,201 battles

De Grasse is probably the best all-rounder now that Cleveland has moved.  Budyonny is good offensively, but is too sluggish to dodge well.  Best DPM along with some of the best AA at Tier is C-hull Nurnberg/Makarov.  Nurnberg is the best scenario cruiser if you can manage to not ever be the bots focus, so its play-style is reliant on teammates not dying off and positioning correctly.

Sign in to follow this