Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is Duca D'Aosta a decent cruiser? Is it worth it?

20 comments in this topic

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

I've been thinking of getting it, but I would like to know if it's a decent light cruiser overall, and its preferred play style. So far, the bulk of my experience in light cruisers has been with Cleveland (old) and the Atlanta, and as many of you may know those ships depend on islands a lot. Can I / should I play the Duca the same way? Do I use cover a lot, spam shells, and just set things on fire and deal HE penetration damage with IFHE, or do I play it as an open water ship? It's going to get up-tiered quite a bit, usually versus 7s, and how does it do when up-tiered? I didn't have much trouble against Tier 7s in the old Cleveland, though I struggled as soon as it was Tier 8 MM.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
169 posts
3,462 battles
1 minute ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I've been thinking of getting it, but I would like to know if it's a decent light cruiser overall, and its preferred play style. So far, the bulk of my experience in light cruisers has been with Cleveland (old) and the Atlanta, and as many of you may know those ships depend on islands a lot. Can I / should I play the Duca the same way? Do I use cover a lot, spam shells, and just set things on fire and deal HE penetration damage with IFHE, or do I play it as an open water ship?

i just ran mine with 3 frags in a losing battle......i like it. 12 KM torps and gun range thats a bit longer its not a bad ship just fragile as far as im concerned.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
1 minute ago, GENAlphawolf said:

i just ran mine with 3 frags in a losing battle......i like it. 12 KM torps and gun range thats a bit longer its not a bad ship just fragile as far as im concerned.

Trust me, Atlanta is the definition of fragile. She's basically a DD with a citadel. However, that doesn't mean it's a good experience for a cruiser that's almost as lightly armored to get into a brawl with her. I've melted CAs, and I've been melted by Atlantas in a CA when I was foolish enough to not use my range and flatter shell arcs to my advantage.

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
169 posts
3,462 battles
1 minute ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Trust me, Atlanta is the definition of fragile. She's basically a DD with a citadel. However, that doesn't mean it's a good experience for a cruiser that's almost as lightly armored to get into a brawl with her. I've melted CAs, and I've been melted by Atlantas in a CA when I was foolish enough to not use my range and flatter shell arcs to my advantage.

i have the Atlanta as well though i havent run her in months just because she doesnt fit my style

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
1 minute ago, GENAlphawolf said:

i have the Atlanta as well though i havent run her in months just because she doesnt fit my style

Yeah I agree she has a very particular style of gameplay that not everyone will like / master. She has a lot of damage potential, but can be somewhat situational in utilizing that potential. For me she's done well.

What's the play style of the Duca? Can I play it as an Atlanta / Cleveland / Helena?

[WPE-2]
[WPE-2]
Beta Testers
169 posts
3,462 battles
2 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Yeah I agree she has a very particular style of gameplay that not everyone will like / master. She has a lot of damage potential, but can be somewhat situational in utilizing that potential. For me she's done well.

What's the play style of the Duca? Can I play it as an Atlanta / Cleveland / Helena?

i wouldnt say as an atlanta and i havent played Helena or Cleveland (yes i know heresy). I play it as an ambush predator with the 12k torps and i still have yet to reach 10 points on that captain. But yes technically i dont see why it couldnt be play in a way a kin to the atlanta.

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

Not a bad ship but far from the best at the tier. I have it and am not fond of it.

I would put it at the bottom of the tier (I know, the list includes Makarov and Huang-He). Still near those two.

Best cruiser at T6: Budyonny and Graf Spee

Best Premium cruiser at T6: De Grasse

[-BSS-]
Members
386 posts
5,973 battles

You can find littlewhitemouse’s review and learn a lot about this ship 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles

D'Aosta is a /fun/ ship, not sure I would classify her as good.  She wants to have a high-skill captain, and can struggle to do damage.  the torpedoes are derpy good fun, and you can stealth torp.  I have a lot of success scoring on slow USN BB who don't WASD unless they think they have a reason to.  The torps are slow enough that BB drivers tend to think they are safe and just drive into them.  The guns are very accurate; she's not an island humper because the guns have a ton of velocity.  Her AA blows, but you do have both hydro and DF.  She's quick and maneuverable.  She dances like a ballerina.  When I don't want to be hit and have a little bit of range, I rarely get hit.  When I /do/ take hits, they hurt quite badly.

• Cool 1

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,806 posts
18,775 battles
1 hour ago, GENAlphawolf said:

I agree

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
2 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I've been thinking of getting it, but I would like to know if it's a decent light cruiser overall, and its preferred play style.

My standard response to questions of this sort; Ask @LittleWhiteMouse, her ship reviews are the best, and I think she has done this ship already (not positive though). If you go to her Forum page she has a link to a list of ships she has reviewed.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

Duca is very dependent on her spotter plane to safely engage.  Without the range buff from having a spotter plane up, her gun range is a mere 14.01km.

Bismarcks' secondaries almost match that.

If Duca is bottom tier and facing Tier VII-VIII BBs, 14.01km is EASY range for a number of those BBs.  Amagi will hit you easy.  Even North Carolina with her very floaty shells has a serious chance on connecting.  Scharnhorst at Tier VII is very dangerous to Duca.

The spotter plane gives much needed range as a safety buffer.  But what do you do if it's on CD?  Well, good luck, shipmate.  I just hope the enemies are bad shots.

Another serious thing is that she gets lots of Non-pens with her HE.  You can take IFHE to help but it still feels like Duca makes you work too hard for any damage you do.  You get all these hits, and look at the damage done, fires set, how stressed you felt through all that... See the end results and walk away disappointed.

Duca's a cool ship, but if you were looking for an EFFECTIVE Premium Cruiser, there are far better ones out there.

It doesn't help that as a Tier VI, she will be seeing Tier VII-VIII ships quite a bit.  The BBs are already dangerous, but the Cruisers are especially dangerous to Duca.  While BBs have long reloads, the CAs have faster shooting guns and a number of them are sending level-flying shells.  If you don't have that spotter plane, you are in deep trouble.  Myoko, Mogami, Atago, Prinz Eugen, Admiral Hipper.  They'll connect easy.  You also got CLs Schors, Kutuzov, Chapayev, 155-Mogami that have good gunnery and will easily connect at Duca's ranges.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
91 posts
1,816 battles

I dunno. I like Duca d'Aosta a lot. You need to play close in due to her range but she is nimble and and fast so if you can dance she will reward you.

She does need a high level captain though

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
1 hour ago, TypicalEngineer said:

I dunno. I like Duca d'Aosta a lot. You need to play close in due to her range but she is nimble and and fast so if you can dance she will reward you.

The problem with Duca is she's dependent on idiots with poor aim shooting at her.  It falls apart when there's a Cruiser or Battleship player that isn't a Potato and knows how to aim.

Members
272 posts
4,658 battles
5 hours ago, TypicalEngineer said:

How do you spec your captain? Do you use IFHE? I'm finding that she handles nicely but the damage totals at the end of each match are very anemic. 

Members
91 posts
1,816 battles
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The problem with Duca is she's dependent on idiots with poor aim shooting at her.  It falls apart when there's a Cruiser or Battleship player that isn't a Potato and knows how to aim.

I know your opinion on Duca, but I have found that for me she works. Sometimes you get focussed down because you make a mistake, but I can make her work well. Most importantly, I have fun playing Duca.

6 hours ago, Terkoz said:

How do you spec your captain? Do you use IFHE? I'm finding that she handles nicely but the damage totals at the end of each match are very anemic. 

I have a 10 point captain, pretty basic build: PT, EM, DE, IFHE. I'm working towards CE as my 14 point skill.

I've found that my damage does go uo significantly with IFHE, but with good awareness and timly swapping to AP you can make her work without it.

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts
On 6/20/2018 at 9:56 PM, Umikami said:

My standard response to questions of this sort; Ask @LittleWhiteMouse, her ship reviews are the best, and I think she has done this ship already (not positive though). If you go to her Forum page she has a link to a list of ships she has reviewed.

Agreed. LWM has very informative and objective reviews.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
23 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Agreed. LWM has very informative and objective reviews.

And best of all totally unbiased as far as WoW is concerned ... if she thinks a ship is bad she says it's bad, no holds barred. Her trustworthiness is what keeps me reading her reviews, which for me are Gospel.

[SYN]
Members
14,381 posts
10,260 battles

It's a bit UP right now

Sign in to follow this