You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
hyuuu

Izumo dispersion is a nice meme

12 comments in this topic

[NETSI]
Members
66 posts
7,585 battles

Izumo is great at overpens, bounces, and straddling misses at 10km against broadside BBs.

There's one main reason for me why playing Izumo generally feels unrewarding and unsatisfying.
It's not the awkward turret layout or the fact that it eats HE pen damage everywhere, because a seasoned player can deal with those flaws.

In my experience, it's really how inconsistent the guns are even at brawling ranges despite how some claim Izumo has good dispersion. 

I really wanted to believe that it was up to player skill that explained why I missed so many broadside opportunities in Izumo in regular games, but a training room stationary target will explain my frustration the most that I believe to be the reason why many others skip the Izumo grind.

I think these few clips show a pretty good representation of what most of people's Izumo shots end up going in general.

If it isn't a complete straddling miss, it's an overpen. The vertical dispersion on Izumo's guns is far too large that it either overshoots or undershoots despite aiming in the same location over and over.

Typical broadside Iowa/Missouri that should be easily punished with citadels.

And then in the same setup, we have the one salvo out of ten that magically connects to a citadel every shot. 

If I could get the grouping of the first shot in this clip every few salvos, Izumo would be a great ship.

But that clearly just doesn't happen for most salvos in the other clips, as they regularly bracket all over the place.
It screams the fickleness of the guns even when presented with optimal positions of firing opportunities that good players try to find.
Yet, you don't get rewarded consistently in Izumo even with the best aim you can place.

In comparison, I take out the Missouri and realize how massive the disparity in dispersion between the two ships are.
People enjoy the Iowa/Missouri for very good reasons. Its guns are god tier consistently grouped when compared to Izumo that it's basically a joke to take out Izumo over Missouri in battle.

You can even get citadels against angled Iowa/Missouri because of how accurate your shots can be placed into the exact magazine locations consistently.
Trying to do this in Izumo will get you nowhere even if you understand a ship's weaknesses because your shots just don't go to where you want them up even when up close.

It rewards aiming at very precise locations incredibly well as you can see and Izumo doesn't have the capability to do this anywhere as well as Missouri.

It pains me to see that Izumo can nowhere compete with this level of consistency, grouping, and damage potential that Iowa/Missouri has.

If any ship deserves a buff with the recent trend of WG buffing older ships, I think Izumo should at the very least get access to the dispersion module that Missouri has.

Nonetheless, I am nearing the end of my full Izumo grind to Yamato and after some 50+ games, I end up with the following Izumo stats after trying really hard to understand this ship while ending up with some better games towards the end.
I'd like to say I've gotten better in this ship as a more experienced player, but it still holds back so much potential and enjoyment because of the lack of gun consistency.

image.thumb.png.fd91ffb4128da3214703c0bfc692cc04.png

Edited by hyuuu
proofreading
  • Cool 2

[EREKT]
Members
745 posts
5,755 battles

Well, they probably want people to get frustrated and buy free XP or special flags to skip it. The starke contrast between the Izumo guns and Yamato guns is cute... like they want you to suffer before acquiring the delicious Yammy accuracy.

Looks like Roma dispersion,  gross. That ship is NOT enjoyable to play. Great concealment does not offset the terrible accuracy, I don't get why people enjoy it. It's probably a ship buyers form of rose colored glasses. "Well, I buy ships no matter how good they are. I like to collect them and look at the models."

jesus guy, I'll make you some BETTER ship models if I can get a bunch of these suckers to pay me 50$ a pop.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

No buff to The Gatekeeper... otherwise too many Yamatos in-game... must... not... allow... 

There's another ship... man I can't remember it's been so long... maybe the Dunker? Dunno... but the shots out the main battery always seem to have the same stupid pattern, so much so you can almost know exactly how the dispersion will play out when you fire it... might have been the South Carolina...but it was always the same and so bad it made you want to toss cookies... 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

No buff to The Gatekeeper... otherwise too many Yamatos in-game... must... not... allow... 

It's a sort of surprise how many tier 9 ships players complain about not being up to par.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts
9 hours ago, Umikami said:

It's a sort of surprise how many tier 9 ships players complain about not being up to par.

Every time I beached about the ship, I was told she's a gate keeper, meant to slow people down, prevent too many Yammies... intended or not, she does her role well :-) I suppose you could say I understand but man that grind was THE worst in the game for me. 

Members
2,203 posts
4,043 battles

@hyuuu are we going to see a similar thread about the Yamato's rifles in the near future? Lol.

Edited by StoneRhino
It did not imbed video

[MOH]
Members
186 posts
1,128 battles
On 6/20/2018 at 10:40 PM, Umikami said:

Not really.  From a purely game mechanics perspective, the 2nd to last level before hitting the top is generally always the "Hell Level" that people have to play.  It's the grinding through level 59 before reaching level 60, killing the gatekeeper progression boss before getting to the end zone loot farm, or farming the rarest piece to a quest.  For most battleship lines, T8 is the "fun and refreshing" ship to play, T9 is the "grind tier" that introduces hard mechanics that players need to learn, and T10 is the reward.  I think it's honestly only the French line where T8 and T9 are reversed. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
7 minutes ago, Ranari said:

Not really.  From a purely game mechanics perspective, the 2nd to last level before hitting the top is generally always the "Hell Level" that people have to play.  It's the grinding through level 59 before reaching level 60, killing the gatekeeper progression boss before getting to the end zone loot farm, or farming the rarest piece to a quest.  For most battleship lines, T8 is the "fun and refreshing" ship to play, T9 is the "grind tier" that introduces hard mechanics that players need to learn, and T10 is the reward.  I think it's honestly only the French line where T8 and T9 are reversed. 

North Carolina ... Iowa ... Montana ... where is the bad ship?

[MOH]
Members
186 posts
1,128 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

North Carolina ... Iowa ... Montana ... where is the bad ship?

All T9 ships are very good ships in their own right, but they're generally agreed to be harder to play their T8 cousins.  That's why we usually read how people enjoy the Bismarck, but not the FDG so much.  Or, they love the North Carolina, but not the Iowa as much.  Like the Amagi alright, hate the Izumo.  I think the Izumo takes the cake for being universally the most hated T9 ship, and for good reason.  The Alsace is probably the only exception but it was introduced later in the game.  The Lion is a little closer to the Alsace.

But it's definitely an earlier design philosophy that Wargaming took.  I don't think they're holding as fast to it anymore, as more and more of their ships that are introduced seem to be focused on being easier to play. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
14 minutes ago, Ranari said:

they love the North Carolina, but not the Iowa as much.

Can't really comment from experience, as I've never played either one; though I've heard that if you like NC you will like Iowa. Your theory certainly doesn't hold true for ships other than BBs; Z-46 is just as much fun as Z-52; Fletcher is superior to Gearing in many players opinions; and while I don't think my Buffalo is better than a Des Moines, it sure is a lot of fun to play. I think that WoW just had issues filling out the BB lines and had some clinkers tossed in to pad them out. They couldn't put a bad ship at the top of the line, so ...

[MOH]
Members
186 posts
1,128 battles
7 hours ago, Umikami said:

Can't really comment from experience, as I've never played either one; though I've heard that if you like NC you will like Iowa. Your theory certainly doesn't hold true for ships other than BBs; Z-46 is just as much fun as Z-52; Fletcher is superior to Gearing in many players opinions; and while I don't think my Buffalo is better than a Des Moines, it sure is a lot of fun to play. I think that WoW just had issues filling out the BB lines and had some clinkers tossed in to pad them out. They couldn't put a bad ship at the top of the line, so ...

Yeah, I can only speak for BBs.  I admit, I do not have experience with Cruisers or DDs, so I will refrain.  :)

As for liking the Iowa if you like the North Carolina, it's hit or miss.  Some people like it, some people don't.  For me personally, I hated the Iowa.  It's a great ship in the hands of a good player, but I did not enjoy it.  It has a very high skill cap, and it's playstyle just doesn't vibe with me.  Out of all the battleships in the US line, it was the one ship that I really did not enjoy through and through. 

The bow tanking, hard hitting North Carolina though, I loved.  I really enjoyed it, and I found it to be very reliable overall.  I also enjoy the Montana, but the North Carolina I like more.