You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
7_3_PowerStroke

Scharn vs Eugen/Gneis playstyle?

28 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles

So I am planning on getting Scharn once I have the spare doubloons. I like Prinz and enjoyed Gneis. I've heard that Scharn plays more like a cruiser that a BB. Which plays more like Scharn, and how should I build her?

[AAA]
Members
395 posts
5,158 battles

Batllecruiser by the very definition. Punishes ca/l and dds but not able to inflict the same alpha strike from distance on bbs. Brawling is good. Armour is standard German bb. Will take huge damage from distance but up close hard to cit. I have a full secondary build and I flank trying to find enemy dds or ca/l trying to work the edges. Work end game close to finish off bbs. Really isn’t a cruiser but guns aren’t enough to concern bbs at range

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles

So what skills should I take? And how similar to Eugen playstly is she?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

It plays more like Gnies cause it's her sister ship, just has different guns. I would probably recommend using the same build as with Gnies.

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles

I speced Gnies as if I was moving him up to Bisko and FDG. How should I spec a dedicated Scharn/Gneis captian?

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles

I love Yuro's Scharn vid, but it's old. How relevant are the captain skills to today's meta?

[PVE]
Members
497 posts
4,086 battles

I prefer not doing manual secondaries because it will only fire at once target and the other half of your secondaries stay silent.

PT, AR, SI, BFT, and AFT as the core skills. With the rest you could go FP or CE some mix of 2 and 3 point skills like BoS. PT is up for debate in a KM BB, but I like knowing how many people are targeting me.

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles
1 minute ago, MasterDiggs said:

I prefer not doing manual secondaries because it will only fire at once target and the other half of your secondaries stay silent.

PT, AR, SI, BFT, and AFT as the core skills. With the rest you could go FP or CE some mix of 2 and 3 point skills like BoS. PT is up for debate in a KM BB, but I like knowing how many people are targeting me.

I always take PT. No matter what. I like knowing how many people want to kill me at any time... As for the rest I'll think them over

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,175 posts
3,096 battles

Despite smaller caliber guns, she's got a mad reloading speed. So in the long run, you can put plenty of hurt on enemy BB's by simply throwing more shells at them faster. This also allows her to challenge DD's more properly as well, but you already knew that. 

Only difference she has from Gneisenau is that you may have to switch to HE more often to deal with angled opponents, especially BB's, but that's about it. Her quicker reload certainly makes it easier to perform. Otherwise, I say the two plays nearly identical.

Frankly, if you're gonna brawl with her, I would say her smaller caliber isn't much of a hindrance since she also has the Supreme German Brawling Torpedoes (tm).

Yuro's video may be made in jest, and the captain skill part outdated, but it's still mostly true. She's fast, got dat Supreme German Turtleback Armor (tm), good main guns, great secondaries, awesome torpedoes, and even a workable AA... what else do you need?

She pretty much carried me (lol) back when I was trying to 5 star the Tier VII Operations (Narai included). I'm very fond of her. My favorite Tier VII Premium ship, TBH.

For the captain, I would just do the usual Secondary build, but with a hybrid twist, making a Secondary-Survivability hybrid. But that's just me.

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles

So is manual secondaires a no go since she's only t7?

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

It's a gneis with  3 more cruiser guns. Personally, I despise her guns, but I know that I am the minority when I say that

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles
50 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Despite smaller caliber guns, she's got a mad reloading speed. So in the long run, you can put plenty of hurt on enemy BB's by simply throwing more shells at them faster. This also allows her to challenge DD's more properly as well, but you already knew that. 

Only difference she has from Gneisenau is that you may have to switch to HE more often to deal with angled opponents, especially BB's, but that's about it. Her quicker reload certainly makes it easier to perform. Otherwise, I say the two plays nearly identical.

Frankly, if you're gonna brawl with her, I would say her smaller caliber isn't much of a hindrance since she also has the Supreme German Brawling Torpedoes (tm).

Yuro's video may be made in jest, and the captain skill part outdated, but it's still mostly true. She's fast, got dat Supreme German Turtleback Armor (tm), good main guns, great secondaries, awesome torpedoes, and even a workable AA... what else do you need?

She pretty much carried me (lol) back when I was trying to 5 star the Tier VII Operations (Narai included). I'm very fond of her. My favorite Tier VII Premium ship, TBH.

For the captain, I would just do the usual Secondary build, but with a hybrid twist, making a Secondary-Survivability hybrid. But that's just me.

Good

[MLPVA]
Members
121 posts
2,775 battles

My Scharnhorst uses the same captain as my C-Hull Nürnberg and Prinz Eugen, so I put a heavy emphasis on AA skills. My captain build is PM, EL, EM, BFT, AFT, and CE, and I plan on getting MFCAA once I get him to 19 points.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles
53 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Workable? Its a no fly zone to any tier 5-6-7 plane

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles
2 minutes ago, DarfTarts421 said:

My Scharnhorst uses the same captain as my C-Hull Nürnberg and Prinz Eugen

So I could move my Eugen capt into her and do reasonably well?

[MLPVA]
Members
121 posts
2,775 battles
1 minute ago, Prinz_Eugen_Kai_Ni said:

So I could move my Eugen capt into her and do reasonably well?

While Scharn's AA isn't quite as big of a middle finger to planes as her sister's, it's can still put some dents in a CV's reserves. She plays like a superheavy cruiser, so naturally, cruiser skills translate reasonably well in her. I've had reasonable success in her. YMMV, though.

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles
Just now, DarfTarts421 said:

While Scharn's AA isn't quite as big of a middle finger to planes as her sister's, it's can still put some dents in a CV's reserves. She plays like a superheavy cruiser, so naturally, cruiser skills translate reasonably well in her. I've had reasonable success in her. YMMV, though.

Alright I have PT, i think SE, and BFT rn. Will take AFT and maybe DE later, in that order

[MLPVA]
Members
121 posts
2,775 battles
9 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Doubly so for Gneisenau.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,524 posts
3,515 battles
1 hour ago, Prinz_Eugen_Kai_Ni said:

So is manual secondaires a no go since she's only t7?

I got manual on mine, but that's because its my regular German BB captain that I use in her and is very effective, especially at T7 since she will be top tier more often than not unlike the Bismark where she gets up tiered fairly often and high tier gameplay revolves around keeping the enemy so far from you it limits how often you to use those secondaries

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles
Just now, Psycodiver said:

I got manual on mine, but that's because its my regular German BB captain that I use in her and is very effective, especially at T7 since she will be top tier more often than not unlike the Bismark where she gets up tiered fairly often and high tier gameplay revolves around keeping the enemy so far from you it limits how often you to use those secondaries

Even though its only -15% to dispersion?

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,175 posts
3,096 battles

The -60% to dispersion buff on Manual Secondaries starts from Tier VII. It's perfect for Scharnhorst, actually.

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles
Just now, Blorgh2017 said:

The -60% to dispersion buff on Manual Secondaries starts from Tier VII. It's perfect for Scharnhorst, actually.

Oh. derp. JIngles moment here...

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,175 posts
3,096 battles
27 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

I was just being humble. Yes, I know Scharny eats many planes for breakfast. I really do.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Prinz_Eugen_Kai_Ni said:

I love Yuro's Scharn vid, but it's old. How relevant are the captain skills to today's meta?

They're mostly relevant. But, I use this guy's build and it works wonders. 

hdCKdMf.jpg
That's my 17pt(16) captain build on my personal Scharnhorst. 
I occasionally will swap between Fire Prevention and MAA, it just depends on what you want. If you absolutely want to live as long as possible and be as tanky possible, making you extremely hard to kill in downtiers, take FP. But if carriers are a heavy threat to you, take MAA for sure. Don't take any other AA skills. Just MAA. Only your long range AA actually works, so MAA is the best buff to get stronk AA. In Narai, you could chew through the CV planes like a Cleveland with MAA Scharnhorst. Superintendent for extra heal.