You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Punisher_One

Getting Frustrated

37 comments in this topic

Members
382 posts

I really want to love this game. I’ve invested time and money in it (along with WOT) to make it a little easier.  I love the ships, the functions of the ships and the maps we play on.  I know WG has put a lot of effort into this.  But for the life of me I can’t understand how lopsided these matches have become.  I usually play Tier 5-7 and sometimes an 8 (rarely). How does it end up that two of the enemy are sunk and my entire team is sunk?  I never seem to end up in a match where it’s close, only stomps and I end up with the boot marks.  I don’t know what to do to make it more fun.  I know you can’t control the other players ignorance of fighting their ships or recognizing an objective but why does it seem the more capable players end up on the other side.  I’m not good enough to carry but evidently no one else on my team is able to either. 

I quit playing WOT because it turned into 5-minute stomps and I really don’t want to quit playing this game also.  I’m just at a loss of what to do.  I play Co-op for some satisfaction and to improve my playing skills, but I’d rather be playing in Random games. I know one side must lose but why are they always blowouts. Random games are more challenging, except when my team seem to be like Bots, lol.  How do you guys make it fun when there are so many frustrating elements?

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,642 posts
2,149 battles

How long has this been going on? I don't really see long stretches of games like this a good amount are fairly evenly matched.

Edited by Edselman
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,426 posts
4,312 battles

I find that it evens out over time. I've had nights where most of the time was being on the receiving end of a total collapse, those are indeed frustrating. But then again I've also had nights where most of the time my team were actually too darn competent and it was the red team staring crushing defeat in the face. Sometimes I even get those close nailbiters.

I think when those bad patches hit, one just has to put the game down for a while. It might help also to avoid weekends, since the lopsided battles seem to happen more often (just my personal observation) at that time.

[PNP]
Members
391 posts
2,844 battles

One of the best ways I found out to avoid steamrolls is to play in the off-hours (Late night/Morning). As a college student, I am able to do this, however this may not work for some due to the 9-5 workschedule. But if you can play at these times, there is more consistent gameplay as you will see more skilled players.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Brother, many here feel the same way. This is a topic you'll see on a daily basis.

Many will tell you to be "the" player that carries the team. Somehow magically, you are the only person that can win the battle when you have junk teams. I personally dont subscribe to that way of thinking.

From someone that's been here for a long time, the best advice I can give you is to either don't let it bother you, find another game to invest your time and money on, or play this game in spurts instead of long periods.

Many that start playing this game usually stop around T5 for many reasons I won't go into, but one of them are for reasons you have stated.

You just need to weigh your options and look within yourself on what you can and cannot take. If something isn't fun, then why even bother?

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
477 posts
5,497 battles
11 minutes ago, Punisher_One said:

I really want to love this game. I’ve invested time and money in it (along with WOT) to make it a little easier.  I love the ships, the functions of the ships and the maps we play on.  I know WG has put a lot of effort into this.  But for the life of me I can’t understand how lopsided these matches have become.  I usually play Tier 5-7 and sometimes an 8 (rarely). How does it end up that two of the enemy are sunk and my entire team is sunk?  I never seem to end up in a match where it’s close, only stomps and I end up with the boot marks.  I don’t know what to do to make it more fun.  I know you can’t control the other players ignorance of fighting their ships or recognizing an objective but why does it seem the more capable players end up on the other side.  I’m not good enough to carry but evidently no one else on my team is able to either. 

I quit playing WOT because it turned into 5-minute stomps and I really don’t want to quit playing this game also.  I’m just at a loss of what to do.  I play Co-op for some satisfaction and to improve my playing skills, but I’d rather be playing in Random games. I know one side must lose but why are they always blowouts. Random games are more challenging, except when my team seem to be like Bots, lol.  How do you guys make it fun when there are so many frustrating elements?

You are in a tough spot right now, your captains don't have the skills that other captains have, and you've played just a handful of games compared to some of the players in higher tiers. Go back and grind out some games at tier 4 and 5 were the uptiered isn't so bad. And try to have fun and ignore the end result for now. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,789 posts
8,214 battles
29 minutes ago, Punisher_One said:

Right now their is a preponderance of really good players and really bad players with not many average players. That is going to lead to a disproportionate amount of stomps unless WG starts balancing the teams. If they don't then I would not expect the situation to improve.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have been in this game everyday for the last 3 years.

What you are experiencing is not rare  nor common.

Being in the right que at the right time is unpredictable.

Don't let the Battles/WR decide on your fun factor.

I find the excitement of my game is dependant on me and what I am doing.{ Some of my best games were Losses and yet some of my worst were on Wins}

It all boils down to perception

Good Luck and Have Fun

• Cool 1

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

There is a Warships game where you are FAR LESS dependent upon team mates, i.e. your own skill can carry if you're patient and careful. Never will you be outclassed by far more powerful ships, because everyone has about the same equipment. Skill is really the only variable. Don't quit, just refresh yourself in the experience of Tier 1 Random. The competition is often quite stiff (as Flambass and his div mates found out here). Here's a livestream from Sunday night:

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
45 minutes ago, Punisher_One said:

How does it end up that two of the enemy are sunk and my entire team is sunk?

Your team was a basketfull of spuds. Get into a competitive clan and division; you'll be a lot happier.

Members
3,774 posts
1 hour ago, Punisher_One said:

It happens you get mad about it lol.  All day I tried out the Donskoi nothing but straight lost match nothing but.  I go right back into my Kiev nothing but win after win after win.  We all get mad if we loose it happens.  But you gotta look at it like this, one team is always loosing even if you are on the winning team.  Take it with a grain of salt.  But don't let the salt lick your wounds.

[TCANS]
Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles

Boy I’ve had a terrible couple of days. Just won the last three in a row, but before that, it was 14 losses out of 18 battles!  Sheesh!  That hurt. I did my best, was often top score, even did 101k damage in my Kaiser in one of the losses: but when your whole team dies and it’s just you left on fairly low HP against a half dozen enemy still alive.... I went from mid-60s win rate for the last 21 days to sub-50 for the same period in two days and 20 battles. 

But, I’d been winning a lot before these past few days...more than I should have on the merit of my own play; so it balances out.  In the long run, playing solo, you’re only gonna win a few more than you lose.  It’s the way random team games work. 

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles
57 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I find that it evens out over time.

I, for one, am waiting for the evening out. Ever since I started the Halsey Campaign it's been defeat, defeat, defeat, ad infinitum with a occasional win. It seems like this happens everytime I have high tier tasks going.

• Cool 1

Members
8,085 posts
17,047 battles
19 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Your team was a basketfull of spuds. Get into a competitive clan and division; you'll be a lot happier.

Never.

I don’t object to the presence of clans like I once did, but their Raison d'être is competition at a tier that as far as I’m concerned can go to hell, because playing there is all chore and no fun.

3 minutes ago, Griphos said:

In the long run, playing solo, you’re only gonna win a few more than you lose.  It’s the way random team games work. 

Fine by me; at least I win more. Except in Co-op and Ops, my division record is worse than when I play solo.

3 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I, for one, am waiting for the evening out. Ever since I started the Halsey Campaign it's been defeat, defeat, defeat, ad infinitum with a occasional win. It seems like this happens everytime I have high tier tasks going.

Grinding it out in Co-op.

Except for one accidental Mission 1, Task 3, (sink a DD and win,) I’ve finished  Mission 1 with four each, Task 1 and Task 2 completions.

I play Co-op for some satisfaction and to improve my playing skills, but I’d rather be playing in Random games. I know one side must lose but why are they always blowouts. Random games are more challenging, except when my team seem to be like Bots, lol.  How do you guys make it fun when there are so many frustrating elements?

I’m playing more Co-op of late because I feel I’m not sufficiently competitive to really enjoy Randoms, because more bang for the proverbial buck, (more games in ‘x’ amount of time,) and because Co-op is the only place I can have ‘fun’ playing carriers.

Play Co-op when you need to relax, or just want to bash things after a bad day in Randoms.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
2,865 posts
4,098 battles

it happens to everyone,you are not alone.

[B-K-N]
Members
21 posts
4,156 battles

I follow a "two loss" rule.  If I get stomped badly twice in a row or take two losses of any kind in a row in a single ship I take a 10 minute break, and usually get myself a snack and a nice whiskey to drink.  It also allows me to give the wife some attention which helps with the international relations and treaty issues surrounding playing wows a lot.  :-) 

I've found two things:
1) It allows me to clear my head and forces reflection on what I (or my team) did wrong.
2) If there are players I am seeing over and over again it gets me out of "sync" with them and makes me less likely to see them again, matching me against a new group of players.

@ReddNekk I think you have a good observation.  I believe if you are going after some type of achievement (e.g. you must get x citadels or start x fires) it can impact your play style (sometimes without you realizing it) by causing you to focus on whatever that goal is instead of what is most effective.  

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
378 posts
4,304 battles

The advantage to having so many facerolls is it gives a slightly above average player the opportunity to obviously carry more.  Most of the time, the things you do to win a match aren't obvious to other players and sometimes even to yourself.  But, when you hard carry a bad team, even if it's by accident or includes a number of "oh i shouldn't have done that"'s, you know it and it should be fairly obvious to the rest of the players. (i said "should" be)

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,488 battles

Mate you have had, what, 1,200 odd battles ? I know it can be a frustration and somewhat depressing when your teams get stomped. 
Realize that on the other side, with experienced gained will you see the lightness. It took myself more or less 10 k battles before I
got to grips with  this game, in a proper fashion, with all it's glory upon reaching the winners circle, more times than not.

In fact, I have just this last week gone thru the WOWS version of purgatory, with what can be described as teams that vaporized
within minutes of the match opening up. We are all constantly learning, as life is a constant and evolving machine, so too is WOWS.
My suggestion  to you is,. if the frustration becomes all encompassing and the fun for you is not forth coming, then take a week or
two off from the game.

It is really surprising how much having an enforced sabbatical away from the game can be to give you a refreshing perspective
and start on your way too the victors circle, more often than not. 

My WOWS pain in numbers from the course of the last week.

Even with more experienced gameplay, roflstomps will still happen.

Edited by Crusin_Custard

[CAST]
Members
1,404 posts
5,819 battles
23 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Never.

I don’t object to the presence of clans like I once did, but their Raison d'être is competition at a tier that as far as I’m concerned can go to hell, because playing there is all chore and no fun.

There are a ton of clans for every play style you can imagine, from the ultra-competitive to clans which only exist so members can reap the ship discounts & XP bonuses.  Div play, randoms, Co-Op, whatever your desire there are numerous clans to fulfill it.

As others have mentioned, playing in a division can make for more wins as well as for more competitive losses.  So long as you're teaming up with players who are at least at your skill & experience level, that means you'll always have at least two other people on the team who'll play the objective & work with you.

As somebody who does play solo all the time, I do find myself in plenty of one-sided battles.  Most of the time it's rooted in a division of highly skilled players who flip the balance heavily in their team's favor, particularly in lower tiers where most players don't have thousands of battles under their belts or 19-point captains at their helms.  It does tend to even out over the long run, more so as your own map awareness improves with time (so you can carry :Smile_glasses:).  Whether solo or with friends, just keep at it so long as it remains fun, and change things up whenever it isn't.

Edited by Harv72b

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

I understand you, which is why most of the time I limit myself to 3-5 games a day in randoms. The biggest problem with this game is the people who think they have invented a new way to win. The team that stays together and formulates something of a plan usually wins. Just played my last game of the night and BC was called out, 9 of the 12 followed the plan and the 3 who went A died quickly allowing the enemy to roll up for there because they got up on us quick. When it was mentioned that BC was the plan, one came out with they did not see that. An easy scroll would of fixed that, but I think it was a dodge. This is really the only time I hand out "played poorly" for karma. We took the 2 caps and lost because of a few who wanted to be heroes. I also turn to co-op to have a low key game. 

I also think that the cruiser line split in USN has attracted many to try and master the line. I for one am terrible with cruisers because I do not like to camp. But, some people do not come to this reality and think they can play them. Co-op is a great place to try, not dying in the first minute of a random game. Well, HF GL and hopefully things will change for the better. 

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles

You have a 51% win rate, which is good! Don't worry so much about it. 

My suggestion as a fellow newer player is to add some variety in your ships. Dabble in some battleships, mix in some other nations' cruisers (I find the French to be quite underrated, and Soviets are rail guns that float), and maybe more DDs (Soviets play like mini cruisers, which you might like). 

It'll help you fight against similar ships, and keep things fresh. 

Your mileage may vary. :Smile_honoring: 

[-1]
Members
117 posts
2,705 battles
2 hours ago, RighteousRhyno said:

One of the best ways I found out to avoid steamrolls is to play in the off-hours (Late night/Morning). As a college student, I am able to do this, however this may not work for some due to the 9-5 workschedule. But if you can play at these times, there is more consistent gameplay as you will see more skilled players.

My experience is quite different—mornings are terrible because there so many kids that are not at school—a lot of really bad players. Later in the day adults come home and gameplay becomes rather sane.

[1CVDV]
Members
63 posts
2,736 battles
2 hours ago, Punisher_One said:

I totally am in your same bost. I went 1-17 in my only t10. Keep in mind i only had one bad game were i got deleted early. The rest i was #1 or top 3. We lost and i had confederate, witherer and first blood.  

I was #1 in my t8 vs t9 and t10s.. this is the most frustrated I've ever been. The matchmaking system needs to balance based on average damage per game. Not one side with potatoes and one with elite players..

Members
382 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. I will try to apply these suggestion to keep the game enjoyable. I will try to concentrate on lower to mid tier for now. I have higher ships and could free xp into Tier 10s but I do not want to be a detriment to a team just because I can get them. See you out there. 

• Cool 1