You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RockChunker

Why super-train a Commander?

24 comments in this topic

[QCM]
Members
49 posts
2,994 battles

Maybe I'm not seeing this right. (Most probably)   I got an Atlanta and trained the Commander up pretty high. Then I transferred him to another cruiser. Right off I was asked for gold. (Really???)  Then he was reduced in skills.  Maybe I did it wrong, so I thought I'd just ask you guys for some help. So, is it possible to have one well trained Commander, and pas him around from ship to ship?  I know he can't swap out of nation.  Thanks in advance...

RockChunker

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

Should have recruited the commander for the cruiser, then moved him to the Atlanta for training.  As it is, he's spec'd for the Atlanta and needs retraining.

e: just click the 200k silver option for retraining then move him back and play the Atlanta some more.

Edited by Deviathan

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

You can transfer a captain from any ship of a nation to a premium ship of that nation without penalty, but not the other way around.

[PVE]
Members
8,814 posts
7,241 battles
3 minutes ago, RockChunker said:

Maybe I'm not seeing this right. (Most probably)   I got an Atlanta and trained the Commander up pretty high. Then I transferred him to another cruiser. Right off I was asked for gold. (Really???)  Then he was reduced in skills.  Maybe I did it wrong, so I thought I'd just ask you guys for some help. So, is it possible to have one well trained Commander, and pas him around from ship to ship?  I know he can't swap out of nation.  Thanks in advance...

RockChunker

Swapping a cmdr to a tech tree ship, means he need retraining. 500 doubloons, gets you immediate training. 200,000 silver, gets you half the retraining time. You can swap a cmdr from premium to premium ship for free. Say you retrain th cmdr for Pensacola. Then move him to New Orleans, he will need retraining. If you move him back to Pensacola after he is retrained on New Orleans, he will need retraining again. While your cmdr is retraining, all skills work at 100% in the premium ships and 50% or 0% on the tech tree ship you are retraining for.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
  • Ship A CO can go to Prem A and back to Ship A
    • Ship A CO is trained for Ship A only
  • Prem A CO can stay on Prem A but needs to be trained for Ship A
    • Prem A CO is "pretrained" for Prem A but not for Ship A

[STW-D]
Members
1,850 posts
5,651 battles

Hmm, the commander was reduced in skills?

Did you accidentally create a new 3-pt captain or something?

There are two cases of doubloons required: to train a brand-new 3-pt captain right off the bat, or to instantly retrain a captain.

But yes, as stated above, you can transfer any captain from a tech tree ship to a premium ship with no cost, but you cannot do the same (unless you're transferring the captain back to the original tech tree ship) with no cost.

With that being said, you can also retrain the captain for the new cruiser on Atlanta and then put him back fully retraining on the new cruiser.

[NSC]
Members
107 posts
4,970 battles
38 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

He may have meant that the commander's skills were diminished because he needs to undergo re-training and has the penalty from switching from another ship.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

It could be worse, my Tank crew in WoT never went over 93% in tank compatibility (except with the Tank CO skill) or whatever it is called.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,808 battles

I swear to God; reading is so freakin" OP that they should charge people to learn how, just so they'll appreciate it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

You can also use elite commander XP to retrain captains without penalty.

So 200k silver + X elite commander XP works just like doubloons would, fully retrained.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

A tech tree ship (ANY tech tree ship) has to have the commander trained for that ship.  If he wasn't previously fully trained for it, he will have to be re-trained (and suffer reduced captain skills during).

Here's the trick:

Begin the captain's re-training in the tech tree ship.  I would recommend against paying doubloons to fully re-train him, but if you aren't short on silver you may want to pay 200k silver to shorten the re-training by half.  Once you have begun re-training, immediately put him back in the premium ships you have for that nation.  Play the premiums with the re-training captain, with no reduced skills (captains in premium ships do not suffer reduced skills until you put them back in the tech tree ship).  The XP you get for the captain counts toward the tech tree ship re-training.  Once he is fully re-trained, put him back in his tech tree ship and play without penalty.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,928 posts
2,193 battles

2000 games and you've never seen a Commander retraining screen?  I think you're doing something wrong.  Are all your other commanders on their original ships?

[QCM]
Members
49 posts
2,994 battles
3 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Did you accidentally create a new 3-pt captain or something?

There are two cases of doubloons required: to train a brand-new 3-pt captain right off the bat, or to instantly retrain a captain.

But yes, as stated above, you can transfer any captain from a tech tree ship to a premium ship with no cost, but you cannot do the same (unless you're transferring the captain back to the original tech tree ship) with no cost.

With that being said, you can also retrain the captain for the new cruiser on Atlanta and then put him back fully retraining on the new cruiser.

Well, it appears to me that he was.  All his skills are now in orange. 

[YORHA]
Members
3,243 posts

That means his skills are reduced until he completes his training on the new ship.  He has to earn so much captain XP to get back up to full strength.  You can reduce this amount with silver or pay doubloons to skip it altogether.

I pay for half his training in silver, and then do the rest in co-op.  It's a good way to learn the new ship, but don't pick up any bad habits like rushing in to get kills.  That will get you dead real quick when you switch back to PVP.

And never... NEVER buy a captain with a premium ship.

[PVE]
Members
5,307 posts
17,747 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

2000 games and you've never seen a Commander retraining screen?  I think you're doing something wrong.  Are all your other commanders on their original ships?

When I first started I kept all my ships and kept the captains in them as well. I did this even with the premium ships I bought. For some reason I thought it was a good idea and continued to do this until I hit tier 6 with all my USN ship lines. Luckily I figured it out and got everything straight but it is possible to be in the game for a bit and not see or pay attention to a feature of that game. BTW before anyone calls me a numnuts, all I knew about the game was from watching Jingles' videos. I had been watching him over a year before I ever played the game and I enjoy his content. That said, you don't learn lots from Jingles, it wasn't until I watched some Noster videos that I learned what to do and how to do it. I learned zilch from Wargaming, only the CCs taught me anything. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLF3]
Members
5,928 posts
2,193 battles

To be fair, I didn't pick up on it immediately either.  WG, for all its Naval Academy vids, does a muddling job of conveying techniques.  I probably picked it up here, on the forum.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
9 hours ago, JCC45 said:

All the premiums I've bought have come with a zero-point captain. They get shoved off into reserve until I've worked out what I want to do with them, as for the most part I buy premium ships with a view to putting existing tech tree captains in them.

The premiums i have WON tend to come with captains that have between three and six skill points. They are worth keeping, particularly in the case of the Tachi L, whose captain I am speccing for guns as opposed to torpedoes. My standard Tachibana gets used as a retrainer for my 10-point Japanese captain, currently in the Isokaze.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles

The retraining doesn't take long at all. When I retrained my Pensacola captain for the New Orleans, I did the 50% option for 200k credits, then ran like 5 Co-Op games to get the last 20k Commander EXP. With flags, it goes by really quickly. 

[MIA-A]
Members
341 posts
9,660 battles

Train your commander for the highest tier ship and then place them in any premium ship. So I have 19 point commanders for all my T10s then move them to the premium ships of the lower tiers. That way i am not penalized on retraining. The only exceptions are specific ships like Belfast, Atlanta, Kutusov. Mostly the really unique ships. No retraining costs.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,105 posts
18,622 battles

Pay 200k silver and then use elite XP to finish the training. No need for gold... if you have elite XP ofc.

[QCM]
Members
49 posts
2,994 battles
17 hours ago, JCC45 said:

That means his skills are reduced until he completes his training on the new ship.  He has to earn so much captain XP to get back up to full strength.  You can reduce this amount with silver or pay doubloons to skip it altogether.

I pay for half his training in silver, and then do the rest in co-op.  It's a good way to learn the new ship, but don't pick up any bad habits like rushing in to get kills.  That will get you dead real quick when you switch back to PVP.

Thanks Erebthoron !  That explains a lot and I certainly appreciate the advise.  Good Hunting!

RockChunker