You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #104: Massachusetts

145 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
6,018 posts
2,203 battles

Nicely done.

Edit:  IFHE in the recommended build?  Why?  Oh!  For secondary HE.  Okay.

Edited by iDuckman

[5BS]
Members
4,530 posts

Not a big fan of the idea either. I woulda gone for a super-stealth, shotgun BB; like 1.5 sigma, wide dispersion, but an 8km Min stealth.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Members
630 posts
707 battles

I must say the Massachusetts would be a poor competitive pick put looks very interesting as a premium, I'm interested in purchasing it.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles

mym1l9R.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 1

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,828 battles

How does the improved repair party influence survivability under HE fire? Using the special DCP mod you can have a 28 second uptime, meaning that you can use a second repair party within 12 seconds of losing your immunity to fire and flooding. 

It seems like halving the repair party cooldown would have a similar effect to the survivability captain skills. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,066 posts
7,614 battles
1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

How does the improved repair party influence survivability under HE fire? Using the special DCP mod you can have a 28 second uptime, meaning that you can use a second repair party within 12 seconds of losing your immunity to fire and flooding. 

It seems like halving the repair party cooldown would have a similar effect to the survivability captain skills. 

The best solution when under HE fire isn't to try and mitigate the damage, but to murder (or neutralize) whatever it is that's shooting HE at you in the first place.  Massachusetts is a poor choice for theorycrafting anti-fire measures given how hungry her secondary build is for commander skills and upgrade slots.  Any build you make is always going to end up sub-optimal one way or another because you're either sacrificing her secondary potential almost entirely or only managing a half measure against fires. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,121 posts
18,636 battles

Thx for the good review (as usuall).

I have the Alabama and the NC with premium camo. I think I can pass on this ship. I usually end up alone in the dark when I try to bring my KM BB's in secondary range while the rest of the fleet fights at max range from the  A line. While the idea of an USN brawler is good you should be happy if you can use her strenght in 1 out of 3 battles.

Only way I may be tempted to buy her: WG decide to make a very special offer for the owner of the Alabama. Or from a container next Christmas.

Beta Testers
2,849 posts
4,088 battles

"alabama is superior"

thank god,thanks LWM,you saved me a clone purchase with meme builds.

• Angry 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,189 posts
10,473 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The best solution when under HE fire isn't to try and mitigate the damage, but to murder (or neutralize) whatever it is that's shooting HE at you in the first place.  Massachusetts is a poor choice for theorycrafting anti-fire measures given how hungry her secondary build is for commander skills and upgrade slots.  Any build you make is always going to end up sub-optimal one way or another because you're either sacrificing her secondary potential almost entirely or only managing a half measure against fires. 

Agreed Murder what is shooting HE at you.  Move in and turn the fire power of the Light Cruiser strapped to you and your main guns on the problem.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,223 posts
3,126 battles

Awesome review as alway, Miss Maus.

Hmm... so Massachusetts beats even Bismark (!) in a pure Secondaries-only duel, under a theoretical setting, but all things considered she may be a bit iffy to be a brawler. Glad to hear that the Supreme German (tm) turtleback armor still means something. LOL.

Still, as a secondary loving player who just loves to brawl, I'm sold. I look forward to adding her to my fleet. It's gonna be fun sailing around with two Atlanta's strapped to the sides of the ship, as Notser said in his Youtube video review of the ship.

Miss Maus, would the Manual Secondary skill be skippable, due to the innate accuracy buff of Massachusetts' secondaries, or do you still recommend it for a maximum PEWPEWPEW? If we can drop it, then that opens up the Concealment skil to fix the refrigerator on Massachusetts, wouldn't it? 

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
542 posts
11,894 battles

Thanks LWM!  Another great review, and I was happy to provide some limited data for you.  I wish this got a gudbote instead of meh...but I will still purchase.  A shame it lost both the 900 meters of detection and has only 27.5 knots.  Maybe later they could buff her detection that amount and give her a knot or 2 of speed.  Again stellar review!

I will buy her the day she is available.  and some beer!

Edited by nagasakee

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
5 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Miss Maus, would the Manual Secondary skill be skippable, due to the innate accuracy buff of Massachusetts' secondaries, or do you still recommend it for a maximum PEWPEWPEW? If we can drop it, then that opens up the Concealment skil to fix the refrigerator on Massachusetts, wouldn't it? 

You asked for Mouse's opinion and Mouse's might be different than mine, but I figured I'd field my opinion to your question anyways ...

Refrigerator isn't such a big important thing for Massachussets. She operates best at a range where she'll be spotted anyways, and getting a better refrigerator just gives you some options when trying to disengage .... In what's likely the slowest ship on the map. Not saying it's a useless thing to spec in, just that you might want to stop and consider other specializations.

Manual control meanwhile makes the difference from an automated no-fun bubble around your ship that forces anyone to think twice about approaching, to a "pls die now kthxbye" bubble that requires a measure of attention from the player to activate. Both are useful bubbles to have, but only one of them is truly meme.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WG-CC]
9,066 posts
7,614 battles
9 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Miss Maus, would the Manual Secondary skill be skippable, due to the innate accuracy buff of Massachusetts' secondaries, or do you still recommend it for a maximum PEWPEWPEW?

MAN-otaur told me this was the only acceptable secondary build.
7CPKrue.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,189 posts
10,473 battles

I agree with LWM and Lert.  Manuals, these are the 127's of say an Atlanta.  Big arcs, you want to reduce you dispersion as much as possible.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,828 battles

Considering the base values I wonder how much you would lose swapping out Manual Secondaries for either Fire Prevention or some other skill combination. You would lose single-target firepower (although not as much as it looks like since afaik manual targeting gives you a 30% bonus anyways) but gain the second side of secondaries and more durability. 

[SYN]
Members
14,379 posts
10,248 battles

How well do the secondaries stand up against cruiser HE and AP spam? (Atago, Cleve, Edinburgh/Fiji)

Against conkek HE salvo?

How much broadside do you have to give up to get all of the secondaries going?

Edited by MrDeaf

[WG-CC]
9,066 posts
7,614 battles
5 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Considering the base values I wonder how much you would lose swapping out Manual Secondaries for either Fire Prevention or some other skill combination. You would lose single-target firepower (although not as much as it looks like since afaik manual targeting gives you a 30% bonus anyways) but gain the second side of secondaries and more durability. 

Manual Fire Control drops whatever your dispersion value is currently by 60%.  It's huge and the single biggest gain you can get.

1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

How well do the secondaries stand up against cruiser HE and AP spam?

Against conkek HE salvo?

How much broadside do you have to give up to get all of the secondaries going?

The secondaries stand up alright to HE spam.  They are nowhere near as durable as casemate secondaries like on Warspite or Amagi. RNCL AP shells are more devastating and more concerning.  Their short fuses and higher damage per shell murders USN 127mm secondaries with only a few hits.  The catch is that they must hit directly.

Royal Navy Battleship HE is more likely to sink Massachusetts before it pops a secondary gun. 

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
542 posts
11,894 battles

biggest issue to me is that there are also not enough points to get the full secondary treatment, and buy Superintendent.  Looks like Premium upgrade on heals as de rigueur

[BNKR]
Members
655 posts
664 battles

Great review! I've got George Doe all set up for meme-bote action. That extra turret traverse on top of the extra turret traverse will be handy in CQC. Plus the obvious full secondary build. :cap_haloween:

[WOLF3]
Members
6,018 posts
2,203 battles
5 minutes ago, nagasakee said:

Looks like Premium upgrade on heals as de rigueur

Yeah, with the short cycle it probably is.