You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

U.S. Heavy Cruisers Poll!

Which is your favorite of the U.S. heavy cruisers?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite of the U.S. heavy cruisers?

• Pensacola
    • Indianapolis
    • New Orleans
    • Baltimore
    • Buffalo
    • Des Moines
    • I don't play cruisers/U.S. Cruisers
    • I don't have a preference, I just like to vote in polls
  2. 2. Which U.S. heavy cruiser is the most improved under the new patch?

• Pensacola
    • Indianapolis
    • New Orleans
    • Baltimore
    • Buffalo
  3. 3. Which U.S. heavy cruiser got hit with the biggest nerf bat/was a disappointment under the new patch?

• Pensacola
    • Indianapolis
    • New Orleans
    • Baltimore
    • Buffalo
  4. 4. Which U.S. heavy cruiser was the biggest pleasant surprise under the new patch?

• Pensacola
    • Indianapolis
    • New Orleans
    • Baltimore
    • Buffalo

32 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts

I'm finding that I'm really enjoying Baltimore in her Tier 8 state.  I'm still learning to play her, and as a battleship main I'm not that great at cruisers to begin with.  But she is fun.

What has your experience been with the new U.S. heavy cruiser line? 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,994 posts
2,203 battles

I'n voting bacon on most of these as I haven't had much game time in most of them.

BTW, Des Moines does not belong in Questions 2 and 3 (and 4?) as she is unchanged.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

I'n voting bacon on most of these as I haven't had much game time in most of them.

BTW, Des Moines does not belong in Questions 2 and 3 (and 4?) as she is unchanged.

Fixed.  I pulled her from the last one too.  She shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

[BSL]
Members
724 posts
14,373 battles

Cola cured me of US cruisers.  One day I'll try to get along with my DM...hasn't been pleasant so far.:Smile_facepalm:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
3 minutes ago, Sensai_Lawrence said:

Pensacola is godlike, except it needs more turret traverse.  

Yeah I had a couple great games in her.  I haven't circled back around to see if it was a fluke or she's just awesome (for me) now.  I'll have to try it out.

• Cool 1

Members
215 posts
1 minute ago, TheDreadnought said:

Yeah I had a couple great games in her.  I haven't circled back around to see if it was a fluke or she's just awesome (for me) now.  I'll have to try it out.

those guns at that tier are bad [edited].  they wreck face.  

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,494 battles

Pensacola has definitely been a pleasant surprise for me. With people doing the Halsey campaigns at T8+ I have only seen T8s once on Pensacola in two weeks of play. The ship is much better facing predominantly T6s with an occasional T7. Everything falls apart when you face T8s regularly but that is no shock. The ship is effectively worse against T8s (and technically every other tier) now than it was before but it faces them less often. I really think they are going to have to buff the turret traverse though. It's really painful. 

I really like Baltimore on T8. 9 guns feels happier there. 

Biggest disappointment for me is still Indy. It's my best ship but it really needs a bit of improvement. Not much, just a bit to make it play more smoothly. A second off of the reload would help a lot. A bit of improvement in the detection range would also help. The buff it got did not actually address any problem that it had.

Buffalo looks nice on paper and I do think it was a good choice to add, but the ship hasn't grown on me personally. Reload is too slow and it has to show too much side for my comfort. Too many ships can delete you if you do that at this tier. 

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,494 battles
6 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

DM is like the other USN CAs just moreso. If you can work with the playstyle she rocks. If you can't, she is a floating target. The biggest thing why people have trouble with the USN CAs is the learning curve is the skill floor is very high. It took me a looooonnnngggg time to make her work and a lot of practice at lower tiers on Indianapolis. Now I can't imagine being without autoloading 8" guns. 

[YAN]
Members
1,637 posts
7,464 battles

Cant lie, I don't like Pensa at T6 at all.

The guns are too powerful, while I used to have great results with them at T7, I find myself getting nothing but overpens with her now.

[KP]
Members
2,003 posts
18,484 battles
15 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Same here I will get back to the Pepsi once I'm done with the Halsey mission. So far I have an 80% win rate and have put up good damage in the Pepsi. It feels like where the Pepsi should have been 3 years ago when I first started playing.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,828 posts
3,974 battles

I wish there had been an option for "I have insufficient pre-split experience in any of these cruisers." I hadn't yet researched any of the modules in Pensacola before the Split came, and the number of Public Test Server games I had before that wasn't enough to let me judge against what came after. What I can say on the basis of that limited experience is that if we had to have the glacial turret traverse nerf, at least they had the decency to give us the improved ballistics in return. 

I am at the point in the Pensacola where I'm beginning to survive a lot more games. Having already had her before the split means that I already had the New Orleans. So the grind became unnecessary and any performance pressure resulting therefrom is off.

All this being said, I still haven't found a comfortable play style for heavy cruisers, whether the Americans or the Furutaka. I keep on taking the sorts of risks which are more appropriate for a CL, and I need to learn to dial it back a little.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,816 battles

T8 Baltimore - it is a straight upgrade over the T8 New Orleans, with 27mm plating, better DPS (and alpha strike) with a larger HP pool. 

Its only real weakness is the large target profile vs HE spam and the lack of a heal, common to many T8 cruisers. The short range is manageable, especially at the lower tier where fewer ships can overmatch you. 

I did not play the Buffalo (I sold it) as it is basically a Baltimore which has better Alpha (and a hair more DPS) in exchange for being significantly weaker on corners, which happens to be where you spend a lot of time. 

I just bought the DM and enjoyed my first couple games (even though they were losses) - the DPS makes up for a lot of weaknesses. 

Members
9,868 posts

I found this interesting about this split. If you received the Cleveland in the split, you got a base Cleveland with a 6 pt captain.

If you win one in a crate, you get a fully upgraded Cleveland and a 10 point captain, which is the minimum captain you need to make the ship work due to IFHE being a requirement.

So, why the disparity between players who earned a Cleveland, and someone randomly winning it in a crate?

Edited by awiggin

[WOLF3]
Members
5,994 posts
2,203 battles

Odd that Buffalo should be leading the "nerf bat" evaluation when she is a new ship that therefore never can have been nerfed.

• Funny 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,189 posts
10,468 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Odd that Buffalo should be leading the "nerf bat" evaluation when she is a new ship that therefore never can have been nerfed.

I think people feel she should have a slightly better reload time.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The option was also for "biggest disappointment" for new ships.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,994 posts
2,203 battles
9 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

I think people feel she should have a slightly better reload time.

6 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

The option was also for "biggest disappointment" for new ships.

Yeah, okay.  Disappointment was part of the question.

Frankly, I was a little disappointed the first time I took her out.  But recently I had a game on PTS where I derped into open water and ran into two Buffaloes and an Alsace.  Killed one Buffalo, hurt the other, and at about half health turned my guns on the broadside Alsace when I was deleted by a Conqueror residing in another county.  Not the way to play, but the ship felt comfortably like Pensacola and like Pensacola did serious damage.  I think I could grow to like the ugly bison.

Edited by iDuckman

Members
17,817 posts
5,087 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

I'm finding that I'm really enjoying Baltimore in her Tier 8 state.  I'm still learning to play her, and as a battleship main I'm not that great at cruisers to begin with.  But she is fun.

What has your experience been with the new U.S. heavy cruiser line? 

I think I only got 1 game in with her before my PC blew up, but that was enough to know I like it better than the T8 NO. 

Was also pleasantly surprised by the shell ballistics. I was expecting much worse.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,718 battles

I only just got Des Moines, so I haven't gotten gud enough yet to really like that ship.

I have been pleasantly surprised by New Orleans.  While I miss the radar, I have had a fair amount of success with this ship.  This is my current go-to for citadels.

I will have to came back later and give Buffalo another try later, but I was not terribly impressed with this ship.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles
5 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

She's worse than she was, fighting the same ships.  People who did well with it before still will.  People who didn't will still suck.  NOLA is a pleasant revelation though.  She's fantastic to play.

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles
  1.  Baltimore - While i haven't tried her at tier 8, she was a blast to play at tier 9.
  2.  New Orleans - She wasn't great at tier 8 for me, but from what i've heard she seems good at tier 7.
  3. Pensacola - I've heard nothing but bad things but that seems to be par for the course for poor ol' Pepsi.
  4. Buffalo - As a fan of Baltimore, i was skeptical but so far its been a pleasant experience with her so far.

[YARRR]
Members
393 posts
4,734 battles

The Pepsi is as bad at T6 as she was at T7.  It can be spotted from low Earth orbit, and is nothing but a damage crop to be farmed by any ship that looks at it cross eyed.

I ground the whole line from T6 Cleveland to Des Moines to take advantage of the split, and umm... it was kind of a waste in a way as the only two US cruisers that I current have out of the line from Omaha to Des Moines that are really keepers are Cleveland and Des Moines.  I just can't get motivated to play the other US CAs at all.  They just are outclassed by other lines, or in the case of T9, why play it when I have the Des Moines?  I'm hoping that the CL line provides more "fun" for me, but, I'm going to guess that in the end there will only be two at most that are worth keeping.  One will be Cleveland for sure.

Only time will tell.

Edited by ElAurens