You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
captkrueger

Best place to learn

13 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
269 battles

Hey all

i have been playing mostly random trying to learn the game.  But that does not seem to be helping that much. It seems like most folks just do their own thing.  Many hug a island, many hug the back wall and sit and others I have no idea what they are doing.

if co op better for learning?  It seems the bits are just “damn the torpedoes” type which only teaches you what not to do.  

So is random better or should I be spending more time in co op?  

Btw only t3 ships so far. Should get some T4 this weekend. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
On 6/20/2018 at 1:36 PM, captkrueger said:

Hey all

i have been playing mostly random trying to learn the game.  But that does not seem to be helping that much. It seems like most folks just do their own thing.  Many hug a island, many hug the back wall and sit and others I have no idea what they are doing.

if co op better for learning?  It seems the bits are just “damn the torpedoes” type which only teaches you what not to do.  

So is random better or should I be spending more time in co op?  

Btw only t3 ships so far. Should get some T4 this weekend. 

I best I can recommend is find someone on the forums that plays around the same time as you do and division up with them to "teach you the ropes", I play only Co-Op and Operations (Tier 6 - 7) but you can add me to your in game contacts. I will try to help but I am little slow typing in game.:Smile_amazed:

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 1

Members
6,619 posts
25,230 battles

Exactly as he said. Div with a player that is higher rated than you and is willing to teach or give you pointers. PvP or coop does not matter. In fact coop is easier for learning game mechanics and aiming systems. It is not representative of how people react (bots at lower tiers are a little stupid), but the gunnery issues are the same.

If you see me online, feel free to ping me for a div. Any tier is fine. I do all classes except CVs.

• Cool 1

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Read the forums, wiki, and watch youtube videos to improve solo. Division up with experienced players and/or join a clan if you are social and prefer learning that way.

As far as co-op vs. randoms, which do you intend on playing long term? Are you a PVPer in other games? If you are competitive and don't want predictable opponents, most people focus on randoms(ranked/clan battles).

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 2

1,266 posts
13 battles

Great advice all! I agree to division up with experienced players. We also have a new player section here on the forum with some awesome guides. Youtube also has some great tutorials that you can follow along with. Good luck! :)

Members
12 posts
269 battles

The one thing I miss is the “how to play xxx ship”.

In WoT there was one of these for each tank where as here it seems to be more of a class thing. 

For example the St Louis scream brawler to me charge in to reasonable range, turn and smoke the target with continuous fire. But when I try that I am dead quickly.  So must be doing something wrong.  

Oh well I will love and learn.  Lol

[CAST]
Members
1,396 posts
5,788 battles
On 6/21/2018 at 11:26 AM, captkrueger said:

In WoT there was one of these for each tank where as here it seems to be more of a class thing. 

For example the St Louis scream brawler to me charge in to reasonable range, turn and smoke the target with continuous fire. But when I try that I am dead quickly.  So must be doing something wrong.  

You can find a lot of ship-specific tutorials/set-up guides on YouTube.  Just keep in mind that many other ships have been added and some of the game mechanics have been changed since Warships was released 2 1/2 years ago, so you're generally best off looking for the most recent one(s) you can find from reputable content creators.  Some of the better-known ones out there include Flamu, iChaseGaming, and Notser, but there are plenty of very good, smaller channels to choose from as well.  The Warships wiki also contains suggested upgrades/modules/captain skills for every ship in the game, with links to video guides for most.

Speaking of the wiki, you can also send a few of your replays to wiki editor, player, and all-around good guy @Lord_Zath for a customized critique of your game play along with tips on where & how to improve.  I believe he's away on travel right now, but he offers a great resource that's worth waiting a bit for. :Smile_Default:

Finally, there are a lot of excellent Twitch Warships streamers, from fellow noobs to some of the best players in the world.  One who I very heartily recommend is Mejash, who is not only an excellent player but who is also very good about interacting with his chat, answering questions, and even playing specific ships when requested.  He also streams very regularly (mostly Warships, but some other games as well) and does have a YouTube channel with some excellent teaching videos.

As for Co-op vs. PvP, there is nothing at all wrong with playing more games in Co-op, or even with sticking to that as your only game mode.  Just know that the bots are not particularly challenging once you've gone up against them a few times, and the in-game rewards (experience, credits, etc) are lower there than in PvP battles.  Many players do play a few battles against the bots in each new ship they purchase, just to get a better feel for it, and that's definitely something to consider whatever your goals in the game are.

Welcome aboard! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[SPF]
[SPF]
Members
4 posts
1,199 battles
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, captkrueger said:

personaly I  like the saint louis and am new at the game also the trick is to keep distance and constantly fire try to keep bow in front so you don't get broadside hits also keep angling so you can fire all your guns is hard but it works I have other members follow me when I play new people like me but gives more firepower that way 

[NNA]
Members
140 posts
5,262 battles

All of the above advice is great and I've been taking advantage of them all. One other thing that I've found that is a good hands-on resource and allows you to test out game mechanics and ship limitations is the Training Room. You can create just about any simulation you want for any ship that you're using with any of the maps. It helps if you understand what tiers overlap with one another and what maps they are usually matched with so you can train with the ship you have selected in Port the same way the game matches you when playing Co-op or Random. You can invite other players to train with you or you can train solo with bots as your opponents and allies. You can set the enemies/allies level of play (low, medium, high) and see how they react to your presence and adjust your game play accordingly. You can set the bots to be armed and mobile or to remain still and passive. (A great feature for seeing just what your guns can do). Another big factor is the time. You can run a simulation up to an hour if you so choose. Learning to create your own training battles is pretty easy and above all you don't use up resources. 

[NSEW]
Members
413 posts
7,896 battles

Do the research, read (watch, videos) up, and absorb all the information as much as possible.

Use the Coop mode, to test the water of the ship and her various types of upgrads/modifications/Captain skills. Afterall, it's better to lose in a coop game than to effect the outcome of the Random mode with actual players.

If you have the access, find a player with experience to give you pointers. Whether it be in-game, or after. An AAR (After Action Review) if you will.

Patience & Practice. Dedicate your will power to keep a level head, and keep cool. No one likes a salty guy flooding the chat box with their discontent.

Most of all, enjoy the experience. We're here to enjoy the game, not to make it a job... for some. :)

Members
15 posts
4,706 battles

Just my own Rant:

I spent almost 4000 games in Co-Op from Feb, 2018 to July(ish). I'm trying Randoms because that is the only mode that I can earn certain perks like the Yamamoto unique captain....which also btw I cannot do unless I am in at least a T-8 ship (which I do have plenty high tier ships). So far I have only about 85 games in Random mode.

Though I have learned to shoot well in Co-op, there is almost nothing that I've learned in Co-op (in my experience) that translates well over to Randoms, even the shooting is often not the same. Randoms seem to be a TOTALLY different world! hehe. Now I feel like I am a "total" noob learning a totally different game all over again. It seems that I am bored about 40% of the time, and frustrated to the point of not enjoying the game for 40% of the time, and only 20% of the time at most do I actually have fun in Randoms. Tonight I got so frustrated in the Cleveland that I purposefully ran into some torpedoes just to get out.

If I want to learn how to play in randoms I have no choice but to "NOOB" my way through a few hundred (or thousand?) games until I figure it out. I was trying to avoid causing frustration to other players by playing "like a noob". But it seems that no amount of videos can actually help (and I watch a couple hours per day of videos) because the rules, ships and play-styles change so often that the info I learn is no longer valid. Or maybe the videos are just not good for "noobs" and only players that are already advanced are able to understand what is being taught in the videos.

If anyone sees me in-game please know that I am trying to do well and not ruin the game for any one and I am usually open to instruction on the fly when in the game. To me, this is the only way I can learn, which is by just doing it. Starting randoms in lower tiers is a partial help and I have done that, but again, the missions given to me that I have chosen, some of them require higher tiers. Besides, some pro's such as Flambass have said that the meta can be very different from T-8 to T-10 (errrrr....something like that), so again, learning in low tiers first is the same as learning in Co-op first....it doesn't translate very well since they are sooooo different.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
135 posts

@captkrueger I have a new project I just started, and if you are interested, you're more than welcome to stop by the Newbie Corner. A section of the Warship News discord for teaching those that want to get better at the game some of the basics and perhaps some of the more advanced skills needed for the higher tiers. Also, Thank you for the inspiration! It was your OP that gave me the idea :)

[KOBK]
Members
9 posts
1,556 battles

I find with the Co-ops are a great place to learn the ropes for a newbie like myself, and when I do switch it up and go random it seems im the only one actually engaging and trying to do my "job" its super frustrating getting taken out rather quickly when all your support is back guarding home or hugging the outlines waiting.  Is this a gaming tactic that i have not yet learned? I guess my question is should i keep playing co-op where according to warshipstoday im crushing it for a newbie or suck up the frustration and try to improve my game in the randoms?  (btw, pvp score sucks) 

thanks for any input  or opinions...im a sponge and wanna learn. 

Also a great big thanks for all the great content i have read and watched.  Im sure it takes a lot of time and commitment to help all the FNG's and I appreciate it. 

Acesover