You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Muzzle__Flash

Tier V CL blues

34 comments in this topic

[CL-8]
Members
12 posts
1,461 battles

I've been grinding all nations cruisers and German BB's with the exception of the RN to tier V. I have a few good battles but find lower tiers were much more fun and balanced. Tier VII ships 1 salvo sink my cruisers with full XP more times that I can remember and I'm out ranged most of the time as well .. Love the game but why WOW sets these tiers together is beyond me.

I like & hate the nations CL ships at the same tier, thats why I'm grinding so many nations CL's. Its going to take forever to get to higher tier as a sitting duck. I thinking why bother with cruisers and try more DD, BB and carriers maybe they're more tier balanced.

Members
3,774 posts

Dont show full broadside, do that and you wont get insta deleted.

• Boring 1

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

You must learn to dance in cruisers.

• Cool 2

[CUTIE]
[CUTIE]
Members
168 posts
8,448 battles

I can't give general advice here because the T5 cruisers play very differently,  but as stated,  you have to start being more attentive to positioning.  Emile and Omaha you need to play in motion at all times and don't show side. Konigsberg,  learn to kite, it will serve you well up the line. Furutaka, stay angled where you can and punish with HE. Kirov, stay at max range and use the railguns. Emerald....pray...a lot.  

Edited by TheBigM145
  • Funny 1

[THICC]
Members
68 posts
166 battles
11 minutes ago, Muzzle__Flash said:

I've been grinding all nations cruisers and German BB's with the exception of the RN to tier V. I have a few good battles but find lower tiers were much more fun and balanced. Tier VII ships 1 salvo sink my cruisers with full XP more times that I can remember and I'm out ranged most of the time as well .. Love the game but why WOW sets these tiers together is beyond me.

I like & hate the nations CL ships at the same tier, thats why I'm grinding so many nations CL's. Its going to take forever to get to higher tier as a sitting duck. I thinking why bother with cruisers and try more DD, BB and carriers maybe they're more tier balanced.

Don't despair, t6 is where it gets fun! (Trust me)

[CUTIE]
[CUTIE]
Members
168 posts
8,448 battles
1 minute ago, skull_122_steel said:

I think you mean Kirov

Fixed 

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,956 battles
6 minutes ago, TheBigM145 said:

I can't give general advice here because the T5 cruisers play very differently,  but as stated,  you have to start being more attentive to positioning.  Emile and Omaha you need to play in motion at all times and don't show side. Konigsberg,  learn to kite, it will serve you well up the line. Furutaka, stay angled where you can and punish with HE. Kiev Kirov stay at max range and use the railguns. Emerald....pray...a lot.  

Kiev = cruiser?

FTFY :cap_like:

[PVE]
Members
499 posts
4,119 battles

Cruisers are challenging, but once you learn them they can be very rewarding. Stick with it and keep learning.

I just got my T9 Ibuki and I am having an absolute blast with it.  I haven't even upgraded it yet. They get better but you have to learn how to use them.

[SYN]
Members
326 posts
5,997 battles

Learning patience and the mini-map will help you.  The mini-map gives you the awareness you need.  Patience keeps you alive long enough to make use of that awareness.

[CL-8]
Members
12 posts
1,461 battles

Thanks guys; yes with any ship you try to hide the broadside but impossible sometimes. Like you never see it coming from a VII because YOU CANT SEE THEM 20K away! LOL...

Emile is my best dancer and konegberg is the best at retreating. However all V CL's suffer from glass hulls...

Give me my Svietlana when I feel depressed.. Love that ship

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,085 battles
11 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Usual asinine commentary. Nagato can whack a T5 cruiser from across the map and they wouldn't even know they were broadside. You're almost always broadside to something particularly when there are 5 BBs and more cruisers than Furutaka with 8" guns which can send you back to port just as quickly.

T5 cruisers also don't have an abundance of bow armor so they can be citadelled from the front as well.

• Angry 1

[CUTER]
Members
676 posts
18,590 battles
28 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

You must learn to dance in cruisers.

I believe we call it the water dance.  

What do we say to death?

Members
9,868 posts
49 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

For many tier 5 cruisers, the angle doesn't matter to a tier 7 BB.....:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

For many tier 5 cruisers, the angle doesn't matter to a tier 7 BB.....:Smile_facepalm:

Hence the dance... to constantly be elsewhere from where they were aiming when they shot.

[CL-8]
Members
12 posts
1,461 battles
44 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Usual asinine commentary. Nagato can whack a T5 cruiser from across the map and they wouldn't even know they were broadside. You're almost always broadside to something particularly when there are 5 BBs and more cruisers than Furutaka with 8" guns which can send you back to port just as quickly.

T5 cruisers also don't have an abundance of bow armor so they can be citadelled from the front as well.

Yeah what he said!!! T5 have a major disadvantage with T7 IMOP.

T5 would be much more fun in the T4 - T6 only battles..

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Keep at it, learn to constantly WSAD and analyze the minimap and your positioning vs. enemy threats. Get priority target captain's skill. Cruisers are very rewarding but have a steeper learning curve than BBs.

The most important skills in any cruiser are positioning, movement,  and knowing how to not make yourself an easy target.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Members
40 posts
1,411 battles

Playing RN cruisers from the start really helped me play paper ships. Just takes some time getting used to, German, USSR and French are all 1 hit kills aswell. Stay out of direct fire from BBs and you'll live a lot longer.

There's always that one poor Omaha at the start of the game that decides to yolo.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles
10 hours ago, torpsRus said:

That's fine until you got CAs with 203mm guns and Battleships that know how to aim.

Members
3,774 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That's fine until you got CAs with 203mm guns and Battleships that know how to aim.

True lol. but I don't think the OP is there yet.

Edited by torpsRus

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles
18 hours ago, torpsRus said:

You can over-match most t5 bows with 203mm guns and citadel them.  Hell I have citadelled Omahas through the bow with 152mm guns.

[CL-8]
Members
12 posts
1,461 battles

I've noticed that the Kirov gets the most T7 in a battle and Emile almost never. cant remember the other ships now; more later

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,064 battles
On 6/20/2018 at 12:10 PM, Muzzle__Flash said:

What I've found to be effective is to try and find an island where I can sit bow on, poke my nose around the corner and plink away while the enemy shoots my team's BB's.

Members
3,641 posts
13,487 battles
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, awiggin said:

I'm here to tell you that at ANY tier, angle doesn't matter when Cruisers are targeted by BB AP.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles
18 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

You can over-match most t5 bows with 203mm guns and citadel them.  Hell I have citadelled Omahas through the bow with 152mm guns.

The Tier V Cruisers are so bad that a DD can roll up to them and citadel them.

Gunnery isn't their problem, except for possibly range.  Murmansk's guns are still good to go.  K-Berg is good to go but needs time to do work.  Left unmolested, Tier V Cruisers can do decent damage.  The key term however, is if "left unmolested."  For me, when I play a higher tier ship and I see a Tier V Cruiser, I am constantly on the lookout for the easy kill, and they very much count as easy kills.  My BBs fo' sho look for them.  But even the CAs such as Myoko can, and will rip through them.  Pensacola at Tier VI has firepower to trash them.  NOLA at Tier VII, for as bad as her rep was in Tier VIII, still at the very least packs very respectable 203mm guns with USN CA autobounce rules.

Think of how squishy those V Cruisers are.

Omaha-class of CLs are all very squishy, even worse with that very tall hull and superstructure at the forward half of the ship.  She is bred to catch shells.

Konigsberg is super squishy.

Kirov, like most RU Cruisers, is extremely soft.

Furutaka is okay, at least bow on, but she's got super short range and can be in danger big time because of how close she needs to get if improperly played.

Then of course, you got everyone's favorite self-propelled target drone... EMERALD!  Not safe in any angle against any kind of shell, regardless of size, she implodes quickly, easily, embarrassingly.

This isn't a good reputation for Tier V Cruisers.  At least the BBs of Tier V can take some punishment.  A Tier V DD can still be annoying and dangerous, with a few these are trolltastic.  But the only thing worse than a Tier V Cruiser when bottom tier is a Tier V CV caught in the same situation.  Or worse, a Tier V CV that has to fight a Tier VI CV.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway