You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Wisdom Wednesdays - Commander Air Group

27 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
784 posts
5,768 battles

Image result for world of warships japanese carrier

As the Commander of the Air Group (CAG), what's your go-to offensive weapon: dive bombers or torpedo bombers?

I initially had success with torpedo bombers but lately dive bombers with AP seems to be effective especially against battleships.

Which squadron gets the call to launch against the enemy fleet?

#wisdomwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 3

[5D]
Members
1,194 posts
7,091 battles

Torpedoes are what's best for killing dd's.

Killing dd's wins games.

Torpedoes win.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

I've always feared and loved (depending on which end) the torpedo bombers. Dive bombers ne er really have the kicks, and you can't really see their drops and anticipate what will happen like you can with torps. However, there have been plenty of times when I have been utterly destroyed by ap bombs. Have yet to play with them though 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Entirely situational for me. I've gotten to the point to where I can reliably manually drop bombs on destroyers, so dive bombers tend to be my weapon of choice for high health battleships, AA cruisers, and low health destroyers. I figure the battleship will let the fire burn, which will eat up one of their heals. Hopefully I'll knock out some AA on the cruiser, and it's less overkill on the low health destroyer.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Ryujo

• My Dive Bombers scouts the enemy and shadows them
    • If they happen to fly over a ship, I will have them attack and then proceed with scouting
    • They are my decoys that give's their lives so that my Torpedo Bombers can attack
  • My Torpedo Bombers are my main offensive weapon
    • They sink the Destroyers first when safely possible
    • They attack any ship that has lessened Anti-Air firepower
  • My Fighters defend myself from snipers, defends my torpedo bombers from enemy fighters, and defends my fleet from enemy bombers

My tactics are in my signiature

Edited by Vangm94
  • Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
8,034 battles
10 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

As the Commander of the Air Group (CAG), what's your go-to offensive weapon: dive bombers or torpedo bombers?

I initially had success with torpedo bombers but lately dive bombers with AP seems to be effective especially against battleships.

#wisdomwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

Torpedo bombers every time. DB with or without ap are too often a huge let down for my taste.

• Cool 1

Members
813 posts
8,519 battles

IJN: Torpedo bombers which hold most of the potential dmg/kill output

USN: Torpedo bombers for deleting BBs and AP dive bombers. AP DBs are good for deleting a select few targets from 100% to 0 and are an actual threat to cruisers unlike HE DBs. In the end, AP DBs carry a far larger potential threat than do HE DBs.

• Cool 2

[EASY]
[EASY]
Members
16 posts
20,608 battles

My go to weapon is the Torpedo Bomber... with manual drop.  I will usually take torpedo acceleration as a captain skill, because range is not that important. I get a high percentage (70-90%) of hits on CV/BB/CA without DFAA... and at least two hits with DFAA. Against a DD, I'll usually get one hit (enough to kill or cripple him).

Dive bombers are a mixed bag. Needs to be HE against a DD, and AP against the capital ships... but you have to select the bomb type BEFORE the game starts (wish you could select during the game when the planes are re-arming). The BIG problem is that the bombs utilize RNG to determine hits, location of hits, and damage.  THAT makes the damage from dive bombs to be very unpredictable, unlike torpedoes. Even my IJN Kaga gets unpredictable results, even with the micro drop ellipse.

When I have the choice, I will take HE dive bombs and deep water torps. The HE allows the dive bombs to be a potential problem for DD's that are getting too close to my ship. I can also use the HE to set fires to the capital ships that have just stopped flooding from the torpedoes.

Edited by TexasViking1955
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I actually use TB as my offence.

DB as my defence

Fighters are my security.

• Cool 1

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts

fighters.

I cant bomb or torp the enemy without some form of air superiority, and I cant last long against other surface ships if the enemy CV is nuking my team.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,579 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

#wisdomwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

As I still only have American carriers unlocked.  I use both against the same target. Unless the target dies before the second squadron gets there. I've still not played enough to determine if getting there at the same time or slight apart matters. But I can say the air superiority skill for the commander is a must have. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,035 posts
12,515 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

what's your go-to offensive weapon: dive bombers or torpedo bombers?

AP dive bombers are easily the most offensive thing in the game.

Spoiler

:cap_cool:

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,791 posts
7,765 battles
8 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

AP dive bombers are easily the most offensive thing in the game.

Hide contents

:cap_cool:

Can confirm

Spoiler

TE81VGx.jpg

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
11 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

As I still only have American carriers unlocked.  I use both against the same target. Unless the target dies before the second squadron gets there. I've still not played enough to determine if getting there at the same time or slight apart matters. But I can say the air superiority skill for the commander is a must have. 

There are multiple ways of doing it. You can strike at the same time (which is what I do in IJN) or you can do a "one, two, punch" strike. Here is an example of what I try to do with Lexington:

• DB1 and DB2 attacks, causes severe damage
  • 10+ seconds pass and TB1 attacks from the side, may sink the ship

or

• DB1 and TB1 attacks
  • 10+ seconds pass and DB2 finishes the job

It's up to you to decide on how you want to attack.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,052 posts
16,991 battles

Dive bombers are pathetically useless RNG hostages (unless you’re a bot; then you can get damage, and a fire, with a single bomber, even in the face of DFAA it seems,) seemingly good only for the scouting they can provide after killing whales, krill, sharks and tunas.

Torpedo bombers will at least cause damage if you get some hits; so my TBs are often off first for a quick scout, and or attack, before settling down for the long haul.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[TIMT]
Supertester
473 posts

Any chance this means Enterprise or Saipan will be making a store appearance this Friday Gneisenau013?

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles

Depends on line and all.

If I had my way - aka when I'm not dealing with super OP AA BB's, my go to weapon even with TB's now as a former USN AS player still is and always will be the DB's. With HE. Come in with group one, hit, usually start a fire or two, wait, then hit with two is ideal. However, I almost always seem to get the finger from MM and have a ton of AA on the other team (even before the cruiser split) Meaning I've had to rely on TB's a bit more even though I can, when AA permits, do as much or more with DB's.

However, with IJN the DB's are so utterly worthless I have to go with TB's on them.

Realistically, even USN's DB's are far from ideal consistent damage dealing. I've had a Saipan manual drop along the deck on a parked enemy CV miss. Yesterday/day before my Kaga DB's, that have an even smaller dispersion circle than that, missed a parked BB, down the deck, dead center of the ship.

I would gladly trade alpha for better accuracy/reliability and they seriously need an HP buff to counteract all the AA buffs some that were meant to counter manual drop TB's. 

Some people - they want immediate gratification and think TB's are the only good damage source and that DB's will never be useful. Me - Well, I just want to watch the battleships burn. And the CV's. And the cruisers.... and the DD's. Yeah, somewhere between Ronald from "Backdraft" and Joker from Dark Knight. 

• Cool 1

[STW-D]
Members
1,857 posts
5,651 battles

I would gladly trade my Essex's 2 dive bomber squadrons and AP bombs in order to get an extra two torpedo bomber squadron and more reserves.

Although I also find that a surprising number of cruisers trigger defensive AA when they see dive bombers, leaving them very vulnerable when my torpedo bombers arrive.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
576 posts
4,537 battles

I enjoy the HE DBs to be honest of the US lines, more so at T7+.

Someone taught me to send both Dive bombers over a target but only drop one. The enemy generally DCPs that fire thinking both dropped, then you send the second one to inflict more damage over time.

Same with the Indy at T6, Torp first, wait for DCP then fires, or vice versa. 

Whilst not having the impact the IJN CVs can have, the DoT can do just as well.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,472 posts
6,653 battles

both, never make yourself predictable.

change loadouts every few battles.

When you have the choice, always take a mixed loadout to random battles.

of course, we can only do this for now, as perhaps WG CV rework is going to make my advice obselete.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,579 battles
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, Vangm94 said:

There are multiple ways of doing it. You can strike at the same time (which is what I do in IJN) or you can do a "one, two, punch" strike. Here is an example of what I try to do with Lexington:

• DB1 and DB2 attacks, causes severe damage
  • 10+ seconds pass and TB1 attacks from the side, may sink the ship

or

• DB1 and TB1 attacks
  • 10+ seconds pass and DB2 finishes the job

It's up to you to decide on how you want to attack.

Thanks for the info. But it will be awhile before I can play lady Lex, Although I do want to get Midway Since I served aboard Coral Sea :)

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
1 minute ago, Sped_Gax said:

Thanks for the info. But it will be awhile before I can play lady Lex, Although I do want to get Midway Since I served aboard Coral Sea :)

While I do love Lady Lex, my main issue with USN CVs is that they really need two fighter squads to be more competitive. One squad can only do so much when fighting two fighter squads. If instead of 6 but 3 USN Fighters formed a squad and you got two of them, I would enjoy Lex a lot more. Here are my Lex videos, see if they help you learn more on CVs. I am not the best at her so I am easily outplayed by better skilled Lexes and just about all IJN CVs.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
442 posts
On 20/06/2018 at 1:54 PM, Gneisenau013 said:

#wisdomwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

i play usn so i dont get to choose

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,579 battles
On 6/21/2018 at 3:37 PM, Vangm94 said:

While I do love Lady Lex, my main issue with USN CVs is that they really need two fighter squads to be more competitive. One squad can only do so much when fighting two fighter squads. If instead of 6 but 3 USN Fighters formed a squad and you got two of them, I would enjoy Lex a lot more. Here are my Lex videos, see if they help you learn more on CVs. I am not the best at her so I am easily outplayed by better skilled Lexes and just about all IJN CVs.

A trick I've learned with my bogue was to bait fighters groups into attacking my bomber groups the leading them over my cruiser groups.