You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

USS Johnston and How to Get Her and Other Ships into the Game

43 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,726 battles

This video asks two questions I'm trying to get feedback on.
Would you pay for premium camouflage to get this or another ship you want to see into the game? This means it is merely a skin that you can apply as premium camouflage. In Johnston's Example, its applied to the Fletcher and doesn't change the ship at all.
How much would you pay for such a camouflage?

• Cool 4

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

Maybe about 4500 to 5000 doubloons.:Smile_honoring:

Just because it is the Johnston.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,685 posts
15,215 battles

Needs to be done on a modified Kidd base with the square bridge, the quad 40mm replaced by twin 40mm and the second set of torpedo tubes put back on between the funnels, with the searchlight platforms moved. I'm all in on this if they do it....

• Cool 4

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,391 battles
14 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Would you pay for premium camouflage to get this or another ship you want to see into the game? This means it is merely a skin that you can apply as premium camouflage. In Johnston's Example, its applied to the Fletcher and doesn't change the ship at all.

Zoup make this happen. I posted a thread yesterday on reskinning ships to get em in game. All positive feedback.

Yes and yes

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
6 posts
316 battles

Uss Johnston is the stuff of legends, I do wish they would added into the game

Also the Uss Samuel B Roberts would be cool to add into the game also.

both have great history from that battle to save taffy 3. And both need the be added.

• Cool 5

[TDD]
Members
881 posts
7,891 battles

premium camo prices is about right but the camo would have to have the same bennies of the primium camo not just the skin If it's just a skin I wouldn't buy it

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,759 posts
3,925 battles

Well, if we can have the HSF and standard Graf Spee, there's no reason why you can't reskin an existing ship with the same mechanics to turn her into a historically relevant sister ship.

We need some sort of unique bonus differentiator on the camo, though, otherwise it's just another permacamo. Perhaps the Anshan's Free XP bonus?

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,391 battles

I agree with what some others have said. The price should be the same as the premium camo cost. The price point I believe would be fair as it's an already established cost.

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles

8k was too rich for my blood when it was for Sci-Fi camo.  

For Johnston, Hoel, Heermann, O'Bannon, or any one of a dozen other prominent Fletchers?  I'd buy at least one.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

Johnston's camo looked like this though (overall Navy Blue), and WG seems to favor multicolored patterns. Another issue is that Johnston had the square bridge, whereas the tech tree Fletcher uses the round bridge. Personally I prefer to see her as a premium. I'm actually willing to buy her if she became a free XP premium, because this is Johnston we're talking about. As for a mere skin without any changes to Fletcher's model? I guess I could live with that so long as the price is 4k doubloons like the premium camo.

uss_johnston__dd_557____october__1944_by

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
2,416 posts
2,253 battles

I can think a of small down side.  If there are a lot of renamed ships it might be confusing to players.  For example, everyone know the Fletcher, no one knows what the Johnston is.  Don't get me wrong, I like the idea.  I just think WG would have to be careful adding new names to familiar faces.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
23 minutes ago, Firedtm said:

both have great history from that battle to save taffy 3. And both need the be added.

:Smile_great::Smile_great::Smile_great:

Unfortunately, it would prolly be made to be the most worthless Piece of crap out there.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[SIM]
Members
2,430 posts
4,060 battles

I’d much rather see it added as its own ship, personally. We have plenty of sister ships already, are we really going to draw the line at one of the hardest fighting destroyers in naval history?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
43 minutes ago, Firedtm said:

If Wargaming ever brought the Sammie B into the game, it would be a embarrassing time for me! :Smile_facepalm:

Because I would be begging my wife to get it!:cap_haloween:

I mean on the knees full begging mode!:cap_haloween:

The only USN Ship I would want more the these two is my beloved USS Olympia!

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,743 posts
9,446 battles

Honestly, there is no point until WG fixes the 5”/38 that they broke with 6.3 and the removal of OWSF. 

They KNOW it’s broken because they had to give the PADDs that use the 5”/38 permasmoke to make them competitive. The fact is that the max range gun bloom with a 20 second bloom time is downright punitive, given the arcs that the 5”/38 has. The best Fletcher and Gearing players I see activity avoid using their guns most of the time. 

• Funny 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
14 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

If Wargaming ever brought the Sammie B into the game, it would be a embarrassing time for me! :Smile_facepalm:

Because I would be begging my wife to get it!:cap_haloween:

I mean on the knees full begging mode!:cap_haloween:

The only USN Ship I would want more the these two is my beloved USS Olympia!

While you're down there.... :Smile_trollface:

Tie her shoes.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
3 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

While you're down there.... :Smile_trollface:

Tie her shoes.

:cap_haloween:LOL you got me LOL:cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[PNGYN]
Members
490 posts
2,954 battles

I would certainly pay up to a certain amount. If they charge as much as a premium ship, then forget it. 
Unless there are bonuses to the camo (which I personally would be against), then $25 would be the most I'd be willing to spend.

That said, I would much rather have USS Johnston as a tier 9 premium FXP ship (the first of its type). 

Edited by Viper101

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles
1 hour ago, Wolcott said:

As for a mere skin without any changes to Fletcher's model?

There are several "camouflages" available now that entirely replace the original ship's geometry.  Swapping the high, round bridge for the short, square setup should be easycakes compared to the Halloween, April Fools', Bismark and Hood event camos.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
  • Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,205 posts
5,662 battles
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I have been suggesting this for years, instead of trying to come up with gimmicks for every ship introduce skins. My suggestion was to sell them for $1.99. I think they would make more money by selling a lot of cheap skins verses selling a small amount of high priced skins. 

[TAZ]
Members
391 posts

Good Idea, the price of current premium camo for that respective tier/vessel.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,607 posts
8,799 battles

It would be nice to see something like this and they could add them into the arsenal store.

B19C80D8-C05A-42F3-8C94-947415F3E4BC.jpeg

Members
3,295 posts
7,973 battles

I've wondered for a while why WG hasn't already done this to add alternative representations of other historically significant within existing ship classes such as Fletcher. It seems to me an obvious no-brainer. 

On a separate note, I'd like to see the Fletcher and Gearing models/3D geometry updated or improved for accuracy. They did a very nice update of Cleveland when they moved that ship from T6 to T8; I'd like to see the same level of refinement of the models done for Fletcher and Gearing.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
536 posts
11,831 battles

I am in favor of a mechanism where if there are exact clone ships, WG should just release one of them...but allow the player to select which name they'd like.   Again this would be for EXACT clones only.

On the other hand, looking at the impending release of the Massachusetts...I am beyond thrilled that it is NOT a clone of the Alabama, but something really very different and unique.   It made the ship far more satisfying to me knowing that it is a unique ship.

So if the ships like the USS Maine, or USS Wisconsin are not coming into the game, I'd like to see the option for a player to rename an existing in-game clone when earned or purchased.   But...if they will eventually WILL come into the game, as the Maine or Wisconsin,  I'd like there to be something special about them...as it appears we are getting with Big Mamie.  And again THANK YOU WG!

To me, the issue can be partially solved if WG would do what car manufacturers do:  release a multi-year plan that tells us what the "plan" will do and "when" it will do it...knowing that these things can (and likely will) change before then.   We don't even really know yet what 0.7.7 will bring and have no clue as to what 0.7.8 comes with.   

I know there are competitors like WarT. , but surely knowing for example the USS Johnston IS coming out next February...is not a competitive disadvantage going forward.  An enlightened fan-base is a happy fan-base.  Please keep us more in the loop.

Edited by nagasakee