You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Dev Blog - ST Balance changes Boise(ARA Nueve de Julio)

33 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

ST. Balance changes. American cruiser Boise (Pan-American ARA Nueve de Julio), tier VII.

Testing alternative variant of the ship, instead of the сonsumable Surveillance Radar, Boise will get Repair Party.

restores 2% of HP per second;
active for 20 seconds;
Reload time: 120 seconds (80 seconds for premium equipment);
Charges: 2 (3 for premium equipment);
Hits to citadel restored: 33%.
In the final stage of testing, ship will get only one сonsumable - Surveillance Radar or Repair Party.

BB3FBB79-9B53-450C-817B-108A8B17129C.jpeg

• Cool 3

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

Well now.  Unlike the radar version, /this/ brings me something I don't have in my port.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,947 battles

No surprise here.  Always relying on a gimmick to make a new ship balanced and/or interesting.

• Cool 4

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles
4 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

No surprise here.  Always relying on a gimmick to make a new ship balanced and/or interesting.

That's because they don't have enough variety to make things interesting. They only have a couple of weird gimmicks and they cycle them over and over again; namely repair and radar.

It's barely acceptable in singular premium ships, but it's worse when they do it to whole lines, i.e. the British HE and repair, French speed boost.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. They need to overhaul the captain skills from the ground up and give some of those as flavour/unique ability to specific lines and/or ships.

[S0L0]
Members
850 posts
4,638 battles

Interesting... I like it better than the Radar version, for sure, though I'm a little concerned about only healing back 33% of citadel damage. The one I played against seemed to be entirely citadel.:Smile_amazed: On the other hand, I was in Molotov, and if you can hit it, you can pen it.

Matt

[SVF]
Members
882 posts
1,277 battles
21 minutes ago, yacskn said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. They need to overhaul the captain skills from the ground up and give some of those as flavour/unique ability to specific lines and/or ships.

Do you more specific ideas on that?

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Wow, the possibility of not having another radar ship in game?

Either an asteroid is about to hit earth, or the sky is falling.

I'll be amazed...

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
1 minute ago, Wulfgarn said:

Wow, the possibility of not having another radar ship in game?

Either an asteroid is about to hit earth, or the sky is falling.

I'll be amazed...

Maybe both are about to happen. Better take cover :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,674 posts
9,998 battles

Well i guess that's more interesting, it's potentially more balanced as well - I've always thought adding radar to T7 to go ravage newbies in T5 destroyers was a bit off.

I'm not sure how effective it'll be. Sometimes in Cleveland I go half the game without taking so much as a scratch behind an appropriate island, then open water means blappedy blap time.

Generally the hull is just terrible - poor reload, awful range, poor HP, 30kt top speed. It needs something from the box'o'gimmicksTM but this is probably better than radar, though not as good as perhaps some more subtle features.

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles

Very good news. Very very good news.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
6 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

Maybe both are about to happen. Better take cover :Smile_teethhappy:

takecover.gif

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,947 battles
1 hour ago, yacskn said:

That's because they don't have enough variety to make things interesting. They only have a couple of weird gimmicks and they cycle them over and over again; namely repair and radar.

It's barely acceptable in singular premium ships, but it's worse when they do it to whole lines, i.e. the British HE and repair, French speed boost.

Exactly.  So if the Italian cruiser line gets released without a specific gimmick (ie: radar, repair, etc), what incentive is there for anybody to really play those ships over other cruiser lines?

They're quickly painting themselves into a corner with all these oversaturated gimmicks and consumables.

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,901 battles
22 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Exactly.  So if the Italian cruiser line gets released without a specific gimmick (ie: radar, repair, etc), what incentive is there for anybody to really play those ships over other cruiser lines?

They're quickly painting themselves into a corner with all these oversaturated gimmicks and consumables.

Yup, or in the case of the Groz, their chosen gimmick didn't pan out, so the ship gets another gimmick on top of the first one. Pretty soon we will have who lines of ships with radar, repair, smoke, hydro, dfaa, etc...

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles
1 hour ago, landcollector said:

Do you [have] more specific ideas on that?

I do.

For example; remove the Priority Target skill from the tree and give it as a unique ability to ships that rely on a long-range supporting style to perform; like Russian and French cruisers as well as Russian gunboat DDs.

Remove Last Stand and give it to DDs that rely on their guns more than their stealth and those that are likely to contest caps; like US and German DDs.

Reload Booster for Japanese DDs.

Basics of Survivability for brawling BBs.

Other stuff that can be designed anew.

The new captain skills can then be used for more customisation options, instead of accessing absolutely crucial upgrades that the ship cannot perform properly without; like IFHE on Akizuki (before the DD armour changes).

Edited by yacskn
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,942 battles
7 minutes ago, yacskn said:

I do.

And in my opinion they are all complete nonsense. I've seen enough of your contrariness - it's ignore list time again.

• Funny 2

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And in my opinion they are all complete nonsense. I've seen enough of your contrariness - it's ignore list time again.

Uhm...okay?

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,612 posts
14,017 battles

Repair Party version will set it apart from Atlanta, Indianapolis, Belfast as Radar Cruisers.  It'll be only the 2nd Cruiser of Tier VII with Repair Party, so her and Fiji.

Radar however is the more match decisive tool, but hey, whatever.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,486 posts
8,036 battles
4 hours ago, MorbidGamer said:

Smart move for a papered armor ship that has to give a lot of side to use all of it's guns.

From Notsers video, Boisy has exceptional firing arcs for even the 3rd turret.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,486 posts
8,036 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Repair Party version will set it apart from Atlanta, Indianapolis, Belfast as Radar Cruisers.  It'll be only the 2nd Cruiser of Tier VII with Repair Party, so her and Fiji.

Radar however is the more match decisive tool, but hey, whatever.

Only decisive if you can get ships sunk with it. Repair has much more personal use overal. One of the reasons Atago, though the oldest and most linear premiums still over performs; she gets away with making mistakes.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles

I'm not convinced it will sell as well with a heal over radar.  I wouldn't be surprised if you get to choose in the final version.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,612 posts
14,017 battles
1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

Only decisive if you can get ships sunk with it. Repair has much more personal use overal. One of the reasons Atago, though the oldest and most linear premiums still over performs; she gets away with making mistakes.

Repair Party doesn't make too much of a difference with a squishy USN Cruiser.  Very easy to get blapped.  Atago can get away with her Repair Party because she also has that combined with IJN CA Ninja Concealment Ranges.  Boise / NdJ doesn't have that.

Radar, even if it doesn't get a target killed off, will still drive the target away.  They don't want to linger anywhere near an area that has a known Radar Cruiser lurking, that zone is suddenly a "No Bueno" zone for them.  And that's enough for your DDs to finish the cap, which helps lead toward victory.