You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

This is why I call myself a Seal-Potato.

28 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles

Looking through my inventory last night for things I could sell, I came across the fire control systems for the Bretagne and the Normandie. The Type 2 fire control systems. And the B hulls.

WTH, I asked myself, why are those available to sell? Wasn't I given those ships fully kitted-out and upgraded for unlocking them in the French events?

So off to my port I went, and took a very close look at my French battleships.

Yep... the B hulls, upgraded FCS, engine upgrades... all were indeed unlocked and paid for. BUT THEY HAD NEVER BEEN SELECTED. :Smile_facepalm:

:Smile_child: DERP! :Smile_child:

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,964 battles

I did the same thing but noticed after a few games becuase I had somehow played a few games while forgetting to install upgrades and switch to premium consumables.

Community Department
2,021 posts
500 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Looking through my inventory last night for things I could sell, I came across the fire control systems for the Bretagne and the Normandie. The Type 2 fire control systems. And the B hulls.

WTH, I asked myself, why are those available to sell? Wasn't I given those ships fully kitted-out and upgraded for unlocking them in the French events?

Yep... the B hulls, upgraded FCS, engine upgrades... all were indeed unlocked and paid for. BUT THEY HAD NEVER BEEN SELECTED. :Smile_facepalm:

Hold on! Nevertheless you are strong enough to play on stock. I used to do so for a couple of times when I wanted to overcome some ships faster. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

My best one was when i first started playing the game. My first thought was my commanders could play any ship, any NATION. Duh. Wrong. Then for whatever reason, I expanded my port. Double down on the duh. First few months were confusing, clearly, for dumb reasons. 

[CUTIE]
[CUTIE]
Members
168 posts
8,454 battles

I couldn't help but look this up after reading the title....

RNBl2aR.jpg

• Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,496 battles
31 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I've made some classic Seal-Potato mistakes, but the biggest was accidentally using almost 300k of free xp to level up a captain.

That hurt my soul reading.  

[YORHA]
Members
3,260 posts
16 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

My best one was when i first started playing the game. My first thought was my commanders could play any ship, any NATION. Duh. Wrong. Then for whatever reason, I expanded my port. Double down on the duh. First few months were confusing, clearly, for dumb reasons. 

What is dumb is WG's complete lack of interest in setting up formal training/orientation/communication/explanation on these and other important aspects of the game.  They leave it to the player base to handle, but for people who haven't found the forums or (shudder) Reddit they are completely on their own to figure out the confusing way WG has set this up.

If they are so damned concerned about player retention this would be a good start.

[TDD]
Members
882 posts
7,902 battles

Have had the Des Moines for couple of months now not a lot of battle in her never did very good and i'm bad driving cruisers to begin with...so decide to take her out last night and for some odd reason I decided to take a look at her upgrades...of which I had none.

So basically I been playing my T10 Cruiser for two months with no upgrades selected.

Now who's the Seal-Potato?

:)

Edited by nina_blain_73

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts
26 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

What is dumb is WG's complete lack of interest in setting up formal training/orientation/communication/explanation on these and other important aspects of the game.  They leave it to the player base to handle, but for people who haven't found the forums or (shudder) Reddit they are completely on their own to figure out the confusing way WG has set this up.

If they are so damned concerned about player retention this would be a good start.

Oh I agree... I've always sort of felt an "on the rails shooter", sort of like coop, which took you through the basics would be a great start. Mandatory, can't skip it... can replay... what a way to start out. I think, from experience, a lot of bad lessons are learned when you are just dropped into the game without any training. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
15 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I've always sort of felt an "on the rails shooter", sort of like coop, which took you through the basics would be a great start.

There IS such a thing, but it couldn't repeat enough times for me! :Smile_child:

1 hour ago, TheBigM145 said:

I couldn't help but look this up after reading the title....

RNBl2aR.jpg

Oh my God, it actually exists. I had no idea... 

32 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

So basically I been playing my T10 Cruiser for two months with no upgrades selected.

Now who's the Seal-Potato?

I take mine out a few times without some or all of them when I have higher-tier upgrade options, just to get a feel for the ones I think I need most. But two months is quite a while to go without!

1 hour ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I've made some classic Seal-Potato mistakes, but the biggest was accidentally using almost 300k of free xp to level up a captain.

It's only an unforgivable mistake if it didn't get him to 19 points. If it did, one could argue that it was (sort of) worth it.

[GN_BR]
Members
125 posts
4,616 battles

Two nights ago I forgot to hit R after eating a torp and flooded out in the heat of a knife fight.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
1 minute ago, cthuhulu said:

Two nights ago I forgot to hit R after eating a torp and flooded out in the heat of a knife fight.

Yeah, but that's a one-off blunder made under extreme stress. My omission has been ongoing since... oh, mid-March or thereabouts. I could be excused at first because I went on an overseas trip shortly after I got the Normandie, and checking to see that my B hull, FCS, etc were selected was the last thing on my mind. After that? No excuse.

Beta Testers
1,158 posts
7,889 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's only an unforgivable mistake if it didn't get him to 19 points. If it did, one could argue that it was (sort of) worth it.

It didn't, something like 14-16

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
3 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

It didn't, something like 14-16

Oh dear. :Smile_sad: Commiserations, then. 

Members
193 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I just found I was guilty of the same. :Smile_amazed:   In my defense, I hardly ever play BBs.  :Smile_hiding:

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,700 posts
3,468 battles

Some errors I made when I started playing back in Alpha through now:

* I thought Captains could only be trained on Premiums of the same ship type.

* I wasn't aware Captains didn't need retraining, and still had access to their skills when using a Premium ship.

* I use to have a new Captain for every ship.

* Didn't know for a while that you could spend in game credits to mount camos, and Consumables instead of dubloons.

* Took for granted how incredibly valuable Hydro is, not to hunting DDs, but avoiding torpedoes.

* Didn't understand the math behind overmatch, and penetration with HE and AP until last year, despite understanding bounce mechanics armor actually worked.

* Didn't know that HE could start fires even when it shatters, and thought it must hit the deck to light fires, so I rarely got non-superstructure fires. Hell no, you can fire straight into the thickest armor at the waterline with HE, do 0 damage, but actually get a bloody fire on the bow and stern if your shells hit them.

* Didn't know about Concealment and how it worked through the start of CBT.

* Didn't know about ctrl+clicking aircraft to increase AA DPS against a Squad by 10%.

* Didn't realize until CBT that DCP gave you fire and flooding immunity for a short time.

* Never thought of island shooting until nearly release. I'm still not a huge fan of it since it is crucial to USN Cruisers, yet map design limits it's use too much.

* Didn't know you could abuse MM with a CV in Divs to help yourself avoid being bottom Tier. Don't like doing it, but if I have to play trash ships like Ranger, and Lexington I feel like it's ok.

I think that's it for now. Just remember we were all potato once. WoWs is a complex, poorly explained game. Be your own self critic and ask questions about any ship, ship type, mechanic, or map you struggle with.

I have been made fun of, and rediculed for asking these questions to improve my play. It never feels good to get that treatment, but I will tell you that I'd rather look a fool for asking and learning than end up on the bottom of the ocean for being the smartest looking idiot in the room.

• Cool 1

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
4 hours ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Ouch man just ouch.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
25 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

I thought Captains could only be trained on Premiums of the same ship type.

In fairness they are BEST trained on a ship of the same type. Sometimes there is overlap of useful captain skill sets, and this is good.

26 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

I use to have a new Captain for every ship.

I tend to do this still because until very recently I haven't had premium ships in navies with well developed tech trees. 

30 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Just remember we were all potato once. WoWs is a complex, poorly explained game.

I think it's Flamu who's got this thing on his subscription feed that sings out "I am potato, we all die". I like the complexity and to a certain extent I even like the poorly explained. It means I keep discovering things about the game I thought I knew, and if I want explanations there are plenty of helpful people who have done and still are doing things right. It's also a dynamic game - the advice that mattered two years ago when the skill tree was different and open-water stealth firing was a thing is now irrelevant or obsolete, and it makes coming back to ask advice on particular ships necessary; an online guide isn't necessarily updated quickly enough. 

And hey, if you were making mistakes in beta testing, that's sort of OK; the whole game is new then, and EVERYBODY is learning the peculiarities.

35 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

I have been made fun of, and rediculed for asking these questions to improve my play. It never feels good to get that treatment, but I will tell you that I'd rather look a fool for asking and learning than end up on the bottom of the ocean for being the smartest looking idiot in the room.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, unless the same person is asking it for the fifty billionth time having not yet understood the answer. 

[-BSS-]
Members
385 posts
5,934 battles

I think I played at least 100 battles in coop before I realized that there was a random mode.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
3 minutes ago, Visidious said:

I think I played at least 100 battles in coop before I realized that there was a random mode.

Yes, but that's a noob mistake. Forgetting to select upgraded hull, FCS and engine for THREE WHOLE MONTHS when one already has hundreds of games under one's belt is a whole different level of derp.

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,268 battles
7 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

One of my dumbest mistakes early on was thinking that I could eventually have ALL the commander skills, as long as I kept plugging away at it (not realizing there was a point limit).  So I loaded up on a lot of the lower point skills since I had a point or two, and they would help me now.

After I learned about the point limit, I had about a half dozen commanders I had to pay to retrain.  This was back in the 18 pt commander days, before free commander XP.

[YORHA]
Members
3,260 posts
6 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Oh I agree... I've always sort of felt an "on the rails shooter", sort of like coop, which took you through the basics would be a great start. Mandatory, can't skip it... can replay... what a way to start out. I think, from experience, a lot of bad lessons are learned when you are just dropped into the game without any training. 

While I was on vacation away from my desktop and limited to my laptop and it's 12 inch screen I made the decision to play co-op only for 3 weeks.

Over that time I realised that co-op was the absolutely worst place for beginners to start out.  The bots do not act like real players at all. They rush forward so you  learn to rush forward and to get all guns blazing by going broadside at every opportunity.  The only reason you survive is that the bots are so bloody stupid that they ignore you.  The only lesson you learn in co-op is to sink stuff fast or everyone else will and you will either lose or be bottom of the list.  So it teaches to be reckless, rush forward, go broadside and pew, pew, pew.

Then new players, thinking that 95% winrate in PVE makes them pretty hot stuff, jump into PVP and get nuked in the first 2 minutes.

I cannot conceive of a worse way to learn the game than PVE. Amazing that Half-Life, a 20 year old video game, was able to come up with a comprehensive training module that you had to complete before getting into the game.  I geuss the developers realized that if they didn't people would get frustrated and quit ear;ly on .

Hmmmmm...

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,260 posts
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I like the complexity and to a certain extent I even like the poorly explained.

You attitude is laudable, but for the people who don't know (or care) to come to the websites and ask questions but try to figure it out on their own... well that leads to the proliferation of "I POTATOES" threads.

3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There is no such thing as a stupid question ...

Maybe, but there sure are a lot of stupid answers.

Members
287 posts
4,325 battles

I built up just over the required 28400 XP on the Myogi to research both Kongo and Hosho.  Then when I tried to do so, it seemed I did not have enough, and the game asked me for ~6k free XP as well.  Why?  Because I was still using the Myogi A-hull.   Though I had already taken the upgraded propulsion and fire control modules, I had totally forgotten about the hull upgrades, so I spent the entire grind with lower HP, terrible rudder shift, and zero AA.:Smile_sad: