Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HarryVoyager

Strategies for Standard Battles?

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

Working to get better, and am trying to figure out if there are a standard set of basic strategies for Standard Battles, akin to what there are for Domination maps. 

Just looking at the win conditions (hit 1k points by kills plus control area|cap control area|kill everyone) it seems as though the primary objective (BB oriented) is to stay alive, while keeping within fire support range of your team and the control points, it would seem to lean towards the team forming up a battle line and advancing together toward one side of the enemy's spawn, yet I don't think I've seen that so far. Going through my current replays, it looks more like the teams break into two lines that tend to get into mostly independent skirmishes until one line or the other folds, though that's from an admittedly limited sampleset so far.

I'm curious what the better ways to approach the random battle Standard Battle maps?

Thank you,

Harry Voyager

[TOG]
Members
2,378 posts
14,643 battles

Well actually, staying alive is the primary condition for a successful match. The longer you live, the more chances you can influence a battle. Yes, typically one flank normally collapses in the course of a game.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Members
1,788 posts
17,406 battles
2 hours ago, HarryVoyager said:

Working to get better, and am trying to figure out if there are a standard set of basic strategies for Standard Battles, akin to what there are for Domination maps. 

Just looking at the win conditions (hit 1k points by kills plus control area|cap control area|kill everyone) it seems as though the primary objective (BB oriented) is to stay alive, while keeping within fire support range of your team and the control points, it would seem to lean towards the team forming up a battle line and advancing together toward one side of the enemy's spawn, yet I don't think I've seen that so far. Going through my current replays, it looks more like the teams break into two lines that tend to get into mostly independent skirmishes until one line or the other folds, though that's from an admittedly limited sampleset so far.

I'm curious what the better ways to approach the random battle Standard Battle maps?

Thank you,

Harry Voyager

The strategy differs for each map & how the battle unfolds...if all ships go 1 way the other way is left wide open for a DD to slide in & cap you out...but if the push is aggressive enough that can be cancelled out by enough of your ships in their cap (more ships cap faster).

Basics of caps:

Standard bases take 3:00 (180 seconds) to cap w/1 ship...domination caps take 1:00 (60 seconds) to cap w/1 ship.

Barring getting shot & reset...each ship caps at 1 point/second...so 4 ships in a base will cap it in 45 seconds while 4 ships in a domination cap will cap it in 15 seconds.

If a ship gets shot while in a base/cap...only that ships time gets reset...so if multiple ships are in your base/cap it is best to alternate between targets to reset each of them or the ships not being shot at will cap regardless of how many times you shoot the other ships.

So even if you have 5 or 6 ships in their cap...if they have enough ships close enough to keep you all spotted & keep resetting each of your ships their 1 ship can still out cap you if nobody is at your base defending it.

A ship from the team that owns the base/cap in the base/cap will stop all capping though...but won't reset the capping they have achieved until the capping ship has either been shot & reset or forced to leave the cap.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,479 battles
5 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Well actually, staying alive is the primary condition for a successful match.

Not at the exclusion of actively doing your job. For some ships, that is tanking fire so your team's more fragile ships aren't getting shot at.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,716 posts
3,905 battles

Always have a plan to fall back and defend the base in the event the reds manage to sneak a DD into it.  Your team stops gaining points if the reds are capping your base.  Seen a LOT of games lost because everyone is chasing kills/damage but simply let the red team cap the base.  

And if a red runs for the corner of the map, don't chase them there.  If they take themselves out of the battle, let them.  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
102 posts
633 battles

So following that thread of thought, does that imply a default strategy of Fast/Slow flanks, with the fast flank going up one side, and the slow flank heading up a central position, ready to hane out to provide crossfire with the fast flank? (I'm a BB main, so I have to think about which side I'm going to fight on. If the goal is to provide crossfire with the fast flank, that implies pre-turning my guns towards the friendly flank, and then swinging away from them on hostile contact.)

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,815 battles
On 6/20/2018 at 8:57 AM, HarryVoyager said:

So following that thread of thought, does that imply a default strategy of Fast/Slow flanks, with the fast flank going up one side, and the slow flank heading up a central position, ready to hane out to provide crossfire with the fast flank? (I'm a BB main, so I have to think about which side I'm going to fight on. If the goal is to provide crossfire with the fast flank, that implies pre-turning my guns towards the friendly flank, and then swinging away from them on hostile contact.)

@IfYouSeeKhaos pretty much nailed it in the first paragraph above.  Even "default" strategies can differ widely from map to map, spawn to spawn, and even with the composition of each team's lineups.  And then of course you run into that old adage that no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.

In the most general terms, each ship should probe forward on the flank they spawned at, forming two roughly equal fleets.  Upon first contact, it's up to individual players to recognize when to push forward (when their flank has the advantage) or kite back toward your own cap (when the enemy holds the edge).  As a battleship player you need to be able to see several minutes into the future, though, as it's going to be too late to turn around if you wait until after your teammates have.  Some things you can look to for cues are how aggressively your destroyer(s) are scouting ahead of you, how far forward your fellow BBs are pushing, and if there is a division on your flank, what they are doing.  When you set off on your flank, look ahead for islands you can use as cover should you have to turn around, and try not to push beyond those unless you're certain the rest of your team is pushing with you (if you're on Ocean, just pray somebody will pop smoke should you have to turn :Smile_teethhappy:)

To echo what @Lert said above, while preserving your ship is important, it's critical that you always balance that with continuing to affect the battle.  Few things cause more rage in this game than seeing a full health battleship sitting behind spawn while the game is still on the line. :cap_look:

Sign in to follow this