You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JohnPJones

Tabletop naval war games

11 comments in this topic

Members
2,228 posts
6,722 battles

What are your favorites and what would you like to see from a hypothetical new game that were to come on to the scene?

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,153 posts
8,766 battles

Naval Thunder for Pre-Dreadnought, WWI, and WWII. Kiss Me Hardy for the age of sail.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,967 posts
2,203 battles

The Victory Games' Fleet series, especially 7th Fleet. 

I wish they'd reissue with the current and projected Pacific powers updated.

Members
2,228 posts
6,722 battles

Quick question.

anyone know of any games that allow for a warhammer-esque level of customization?

Beta Testers
9,042 posts

This one looks kind of interesting but I doubt there is any English version of it.

Edited by Eisennagel

[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,986 battles

Seekrieg for pre WWII and Harpoon for modern.  Come onto the scene as in new computer game or new tabletop game?

Members
2,228 posts
6,722 battles
7 hours ago, Airjellyfish said:

Seekrieg for pre WWII and Harpoon for modern.  Come onto the scene as in new computer game or new tabletop game?

Tabletop as is the title of the topic.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,967 posts
2,203 battles

Wanna buy some Harpoon stuff?  Minis?

[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,986 battles
15 hours ago, JohnPJones said:

Tabletop as is the title of the topic.

I like the depth of Seekrieg, but it does get cumbersome running the charts.  Some sort of app to aid this would be nice.  For Seekrieg, I wrote a couple programs.  The first tab calculated the column to use for the gunfire by selecting the appropriate radio buttons for fire control, range, speed, etc.  The second tab calculated torpedo hit numbers and turns to impact.  The second program recalled critical hits from the chart.  That one needs some development since Seekrieg released a new (at the time) crit table for non penetrating hits.  I think they both ran on Windows 7 but I am not sure about 10.  They were written on XP.

I would like to see a nice range of pre painted minis.  My free time has decreased too much to assemble and paint fleets.  I like the 1:2400 scale.  It is easy to store and transport.  The PT boats do need to be put on a base to prevent them from getting lost.

Ship cards would be nice too.  They would have a plan view of the ship showing the gun/torpedo layout and rows/positions where markers could be placed to show the loss of guns, torpedo tubes, and speed.  The cards would also have tick boxes for the type and quantity of shells carried.  This is not important unless you run a campaign where you fight with what you have until resupplied.  If I remember correctly, Seekrieg had 4 shell types.

We only messed with aircraft once.  We were running a Mediterranean mini campaign and had some land based air and a Brit carrier.  Automating the AA and air attack calculations would help.  I never got around to this though.

Straight up, already detected, Harpoon battles went quick because the ships were squishy.  The most cumbersome part was finding/reading the crits which was not bad.  Harpoon with a ref and map movement was awesome because you had to find the enemy first.  The main part that really needs simplification or some sort of aid for Harpoon is the air operations.  Aircraft range depending on load and flight speed took quite a bit of time to figure out.  Harpoon does have nice ship cards.

Again, pre painted minis would help Harpoon.

The mini issue would be a problem because only the popular stuff would sell.  I am one of the few who buy off the wall ships like freighters to use in scenarios.

The system would use at least d10s or be percentile based. d6 dice are too limited.

Edited by Airjellyfish
typo

[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,986 battles
13 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Wanna buy some Harpoon stuff?  Minis?

Lol, odd you should mention that.  We were at the local store the other day.  The wife picked up a couple US BBs, I believe the Oklahoma and Washington.  I probably won't expand my collection at the moment, thank you.  I have a stack of ships to assemble still.

Members
4,138 posts

One game(s) which I played a lot when I was younger was a simplistic game, War at Sea and its companion Victory in the Pacific.  It led me to develop my own version of the game with a bit more complex combat system based upon the guns and armor as well as an overhaul of the carrier combat.  Actually went and developed an entire game with navies with a hypothetical WW2 starting year of 1945.