Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Defensive and Offensive hydros - Z-52 on Islands of Ice

5 comments in this topic

Members
1,626 posts
9,725 battles

This game shows the flexibility hydro has, even in the world of radar.  Being able to protect yourself or allies from torps, and maybe in the same hydro detect DDs for the team to shoot.  When you have your hydro up you should take advantage of islands or smoke enabling you to sneak in undetected.  If you expect to be radar detected, just use hydro to detect your target and angle away dodging from the main threat, or try to get solid cover between you and the threat as I am able to in the video if you decide to shoot at the detected target, smoking yourself in that case is just more harmful to you.

• Cool 2

Members
1,626 posts
9,725 battles

In this game I play the weak side of the flank.  My primary objective is staying alive and keeping the enemy from pushing through to my home cap as long as possible.  On this flank I have a few enemy radar CA and Shima and a Kagero that will out spot me.  This game I really am abusing terrain, and situations to let me sneak around and get to unexpected areas where I can be helpful.  When my flank collapses I use a friendly BB that had over extended to cover my movement through a cap where multiple enemy radar ships can cover me.  I talk a little about what makes players trigger radar, and how to predict those events so you can give yourself the maximum amount of time to get radar safe.

• Cool 1

[BIER]
Members
58 posts
1,177 battles

German DDs in general are excellent at offensive hydro.  

The key here to offensive hydro is twofold:

1. DON'T get too close. You don't want to get bit by the Min Detection Distance metric, so stay near the outside range of your hydro when keeping an enemy spotted. When using smoke as your cover, watch your Smoke Firing Detection range.
  2. Make sure your team knows what you're doing, because you need THEM to kill what you spot.

I find that offensive hydro works best not for my own benefit, but rather as part of a teamwork approach. Let everyone else know EXACTLY what you're doing, because it works soooooo much better to just be the spotter, and have the CAs and BBs reign down hurt on your opponent, than try to pop them yourselves.

Not to mention that offensive hydro used this way can very often spook an opponent, flushing them out into the general open. That alone is worth the effort - getting an enemy out of their advantage spot can quickly tilt the balance in a local fight.

And hi, guys, I'm back. Had to do a respin. So I get to redo all the lines again. Sigh.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Great video at showing the offensive and defensive benefit of hydro. Excellent footage too! 

Sign in to follow this