You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

A discussion on how to play Shatter

22 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,053 battles

WG should just cut the map into 4, following the giant islands. Then remake the 4 maps into 3v3s. Because that's what most matches quickly devolves into on Shattered. Literally no point having other 9 people on your team because all of them are in places separately and cannot receive any help, except from CVs (and CVs should be removed from the game).

Edited by NeutralState

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,219 posts
8,804 battles

Shatter needs the Bikini Atoll treatment.

NaiveEllipticalBasenji-max-1mb.gif

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles
5 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Wow, you guys dont like the map?

hhn.gif

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
8 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The west side is tolerable. But everyone either seems to camp or get blapped everywhere else.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
226 posts
3,092 battles

Nice video/commentary, subbed. I think the maps great, C cap is such a fun spot to ambush people.

Members
1,674 posts
9,749 battles
2 minutes ago, cometguy said:

The west side is tolerable. But everyone either seems to camp or get blapped everywhere else.

Its why I showed a replay from the East side perspective.  It plays unlike any other cap off the top of my head.

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles
59 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Fine lets bring back Bastion.

Let's bring back Ocean.

Members
4,748 posts
5,466 battles

What I've noticed about Shatter is that it's more of a trap than the actual map named Trap.

B is a killbox. No room to maneuver, and multiple lanes to fire in from with no real way to effectively angle against most/all of them. The mistake I often see on this map regarding this killbox is players rushing in too soon in larger, less stealthy ships, which allows the enemy team to quickly focus down whatever is spotted inside the cap.

A team has to completely secure a flank before sending larger/heavier ships into B, so they can effectively angle against possible enemy attack angles. Otherwise, you'll find yourself broadside to someone and that never ends well. Heavier ships also cannot, and should not, move into B if the enemy team is kiting from one flank to the other.(east to west, or west to east) It just ends up like the above mistake, which I find common. No easy way out and basically a sitting duck. Plus staying out of B can get the remaining enemies to push into it in desperation(if one of your DDs or cruisers secured it already). Putting them inside the killbox and your team poised to quickly kill whatever was dumb enough to go in there. Also, it doesn't really matter if they take the cap when they do this, so long as your team focuses them one by one as they slowly try to maneuver their way out.

As for the video, I approach C in DDs depending on what I am and the enemy team composition. Gunboats(as in USN DDs for me) I usually go to the cap first, just because they're cap bullies and the island doesn't care if radar gets used. I can't be shot at through the island. Plus, I don't find it common for people in larger ships to push around the island often until the flank is won for them anyway. It also allows me to quickly react to B if it needs help or if C is secured quickly. For IJN DDs (generally my Yuugumo), I do tend to swing wide like you did. Though I'm less likely to push that far up. I usually find enemy BBs going to where you found that Zao, so I just hang out around that east side of C spotting ships and torping into the cap and around the islands.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
1,674 posts
9,749 battles
2 hours ago, yacskn said:

Let's bring back Ocean.

Now you are just being a tease.

2 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

What I've noticed about Shatter is that it's more of a trap than the actual map named Trap.

B is a killbox. No room to maneuver, and multiple lanes to fire in from with no real way to effectively angle against most/all of them. The mistake I often see on this map regarding this killbox is players rushing in too soon in larger, less stealthy ships, which allows the enemy team to quickly focus down whatever is spotted inside the cap.

A team has to completely secure a flank before sending larger/heavier ships into B, so they can effectively angle against possible enemy attack angles. Otherwise, you'll find yourself broadside to someone and that never ends well. Heavier ships also cannot, and should not, move into B if the enemy team is kiting from one flank to the other.(east to west, or west to east) It just ends up like the above mistake, which I find common. No easy way out and basically a sitting duck. Plus staying out of B can get the remaining enemies to push into it in desperation(if one of your DDs or cruisers secured it already). Putting them inside the killbox and your team poised to quickly kill whatever was dumb enough to go in there. Also, it doesn't really matter if they take the cap when they do this, so long as your team focuses them one by one as they slowly try to maneuver their way out.

As for the video, I approach C in DDs depending on what I am and the enemy team composition. Gunboats(as in USN DDs for me) I usually go to the cap first, just because they're cap bullies and the island doesn't care if radar gets used. I can't be shot at through the island. Plus, I don't find it common for people in larger ships to push around the island often until the flank is won for them anyway. It also allows me to quickly react to B if it needs help or if C is secured quickly. For IJN DDs (generally my Yuugumo), I do tend to swing wide like you did. Though I'm less likely to push that far up. I usually find enemy BBs going to where you found that Zao, so I just hang out around that east side of C spotting ships and torping into the cap and around the islands.

I agree B cap gets misplayed a lot.  Too many people try to cap from bad positions, or push into the middle of one of the worst torpedo alleys in the game.  How you cap it depends IMO upon hte enemy.  To really take it you need to hold more of the approaches to the cap than the enemy.  Doing this lets multiple ships focus on one enemy opening at a time.  Sort of like we do in the below video.

I'm still not fond of gun boats sitting in that position unless its a Russian where they cant scout DDs.  Winning the vision war on the east flank is more important to the team.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,219 posts
8,804 battles
3 hours ago, yacskn said:

Let's bring back Ocean.

Ocean is still in the cycle but it is high tier only, it has to be a tier 10 match and the chance is very low. I know I am in the minority and more than a little weird but I actually miss the time when tier 3's could get Ocean.I also miss the old five cap domination on Hotspot. Did I mention that I am weird? :Smile_trollface:

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,006 battles

I was one who found Bastion an interesting addition.  Never have seen complaints remove a thing faster from the game.  Ocean was another though it is still found once in a while.  Imagine that, ships fighting on the open ocean.  Pfft.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

you get into the middle of the map with a 56s radar cruiser to deny all enemy DD access to the mid, so they can all get reported and cursed by their team

[INTEL]
Members
8,457 posts
25,353 battles
4 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It is by far the worst map in the game. That Island in C is mute testimony that the developers do not play the game.

Shatter produces exactly the same match each time. It is as predictable as the sun rise but nowhere near as beautiful.

WG needs to remove all of the islands on the C side. The height of all the islands should be reduced. Half of the central islands should also be removed.

Shatter is a choked channeled nightmare. Best to kill it...

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
4,748 posts
5,466 battles
14 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I also miss the old five cap domination on Hotspot

I do too. I'd love to see it make a return, with the new spawn layout of course.

Members
4,748 posts
5,466 battles
33 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I'm still not fond of gun boats sitting in that position unless its a Russian where they cant scout DDs.  Winning the vision war on the east flank is more important to the team.

Eh, as I said, it depends on team compositions. If there's a stealthier DD that's looking to swing wide/spot, then I'll go to help secure the cap. If there are other DDs, but they look to be heading to the cap, I'll go to spot targets for my team to shoot.

I just adapt to the situation at hand. I also often find that cruisers that don't have radar are reluctant to get into the cap at all(for that matter, I also don't recall seeing many KM CAs pushing into the cap with their hydro either). Don't know why.

Members
1,674 posts
9,749 battles
4 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It is by far the worst map in the game. That Island in C is mute testimony that the developers do not play the game.

Shatter produces exactly the same match each time. It is as predictable as the sun rise but nowhere near as beautiful.

WG needs to remove all of the islands on the C side. The height of all the islands should be reduced. Half of the central islands should also be removed.

Shatter is a choked channeled nightmare. Best to kill it...

I always liked it because it was so different than other maps.  Sort of like Shards where you cant get a lot of long range sniping done in most areas of the map.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,457 posts
25,353 battles
2 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I always liked it because it was so different than other maps.  Sort of like Shards where you cant get a lot of long range sniping done in most areas of the map.

I understand your point, but I prefer maps like New Dawn with a good mix of islands and open water that enable stealth when necessary and flowing movement. 

I also hate Shards, another crappy choked disaster.

[R-R-R]
Members
973 posts
6,428 battles

Nice play.  Very safe and effective positioning.

Really lucky that Montana was able to finish off the Des Moines. It could be a lot harder if the Des Moines survived.

I don't agree on the play on coming around the corner against Zao though. You would be dead if Zao runs hydro and a lot of players on this server run hydro due to low CV count. I have been on the receiving end of hydro cruisers multiple times already.

[ALPHA]
Members
401 posts
8,375 battles

I love this map, but i prefer a oldest version with more huge island. We have many way to realize aggressive action.