You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

Legendary Upgrade theory crafting

23 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

Gearing: Legendary goes into Slot 5 and allows for 5.6km concealment, at the cost of 15% reload speed.

Skills: PT, LS, EM, BoS, SI, CE, RPF
Mods: MAM1, EBM1, ASM1, PM2, Legendary, MBM3

End Result: 5.6km, 19.04RPM, 180d/24.25s
Normal Gearing: 5.9km, 20rpm, 180d/25s

You sacrifice torpedoes outright and lose a slight amount of effectiveness of your turrets, but you gain 0.3km of concealment. This allows you to outspot all, but the torpedo bote IJN DDs and for those, you have RDF to track them down.

Since you now have 5.6km concealment, you will now outspot a majority of T8/9 DDs, allowing you to dictate the terms of engagement and you also have tons of firepower to handily win against them. Gearing's largest drawback is being shot at by larger ships while trying to chase down a superior concealment DD, but this combination of equipment should negate almost all of these issues.

T10 DDs with their own legendary upgrades can still put up a fight, but you definitely will be able to bully T8/9 DDs far more easily.
Against T10 DDs with legendary upgrades, the only true downside this configuration seems to have is the lack of torpedo output, but this may still not be as bad as it seems, if Gearing gets Fletcher torps and picks TAE over SI.

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles

It's a waste as far as I'm concerned. The Gearing already bullies  everything but tier X Russian and German dds.

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles
1 minute ago, saber1979 said:

It's a waste as far as I'm concerned. The Gearing already bullies  everything but tier X Russian and German dds.

Except when it's outspotted and gets hammered by BBAP and cruiser HE

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles
11 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

The difference is so negligible, that if you are moving at speed, by the time your render, you will have spotted them.   

[DESS]
Beta Testers
169 posts
6,672 battles
12 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

To be fair, that applies to virtually all DD's anyway, and the Gearing isn't too far out of line with the others that with RDF it can catch them more often than not.

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles
1 minute ago, PzkwVIB said:

To be fair, that applies to virtually all DD's anyway, and the Gearing isn't too far out of line with the others that with RDF it can catch them more often than not.

I love RPF, I've lost count of how many times I've caught out a Shimma, and gotten 2 to 4 salvos into him before even has his guns pointed at me. 

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles
2 minutes ago, saber1979 said:

The difference is so negligible, that if you are moving at speed, by the time your render, you will have spotted them.   

only if you are crossing their T or in a head-on engagement.

Against ships that are kiting or in parallel engagements, this concealment difference makes a huge difference.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,360 posts
3,564 battles
23 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Gearing: Legendary goes into Slot 5 and allows for 5.6km concealment, at the cost of 15% reload speed.

Mods: MAM1, EBM1, ASM1, PM2, Legendary, MBM3

End Result: 5.6km, 19.04RPM, 180d/24.25s
Normal Gearing: 5.9km, 20rpm, 180d/25s

You sacrifice torpedoes outright and lose a slight amount of effectiveness of your turrets, but you gain 0.3km of concealment. This allows you to outspot all, but the torpedo bote IJN DDs and for those, you have RDF to track them down.

Since you now have 5.6km concealment, you will now outspot a majority of T8/9 DDs, allowing you to dictate the terms of engagement and you also have tons of firepower to handily win against them. Gearing's largest drawback is being shot at by larger ships while trying to chase down a superior concealment DD, but this combination of equipment should negate almost all of these issues.

T10 DDs with their own legendary upgrades can still put up a fight, but you definitely will be able to bully T8/9 DDs far more easily.
Against T10 DDs with legendary upgrades, the only true downside this configuration seems to have is the lack of torpedo output, but this may still not be as bad as it seems, if Gearing gets Fletcher torps and picks TAE over SI.

for pub's id run the mk 16's to make up for the lack of torpedo reload skills and mods. 

Its a good pubbing build, i dont see much use in ranked or CW though as concealment is not as huge as a deal. 

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles
Just now, MrDeaf said:

only if you are crossing their T or in a head-on engagement.

Against ships that are kiting or in parallel engagements, this concealment difference makes a huge difference.

That only works if they don't fire. If they fire at me, I'll own them, and if they just try to spot me for their team RPF takes care of that as well.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,360 posts
3,564 battles
27 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I would swap EM for AR and BOS for SE or BFT. 

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles
7 minutes ago, saber1979 said:

That only works if they don't fire. If they fire at me, I'll own them, and if they just try to spot me for their team RPF takes care of that as well.

??????????

The general idea with DDs is to light up superior targets and have friendlies whittle their HP away before going in for the kill

Why would an inferior gun ship shoot at a superior one, unless it knew it could get a better trade off?

That's the whole point in having good concealment, so you can dictate the terms of engagement

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

??????????

The general idea with DDs is to light up superior targets and have friendlies whittle their HP away before going in for the kill

Why would an inferior gun ship shoot at a superior one, unless it knew it could get a better trade off?

Gut reaction maybe, I see it happen all the time.

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles
3 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I mean, if you can live with the turret traverse from MBM3, that is also a totally valid option.

IMO, Gearing with MBM3 is a bit on the slow side for my tastes.

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles
8 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I run PM, TA, LS, TAE, SI, RL (RPF), CE!

Edited by saber1979

Members
17,799 posts
5,084 battles

All I know is, I'm thinking of trading AFT and Vigilance for FP and BoS, and enjoying my fire-retardant Hindenburg lol.

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

All I know is, I'm thinking of trading AFT and Vigilance for FP and BoS, and enjoying my fire-retardant Hindenburg lol.

I'm kinda interested in seeing fire retardant Hindy get shot at by 3x Clevelands without IFHE to see how well it can tank.

• Funny 1

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,119 battles

My problem with many of these Legendary Upgrades is that they require you to give up the Concealment mod.  That is a non-starter for most ships in my view.  Gearing is special because it replaces one concealment mod with another, and there are a few that take slot 6 (for instance Republique) which might work out.  Overall, I don't see much real benefit for most of these.  In particular, I would never give up concealment on Hindy because when the Yamato starts shooting at you, the cloaking device is really handy!  Hindy is tanky for a cruiser, but long range 18" AP really hurts!

Edited by Nhi_Vanye

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,749 posts
9,477 battles
45 minutes ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

My problem with many of these Legendary Upgrades is that they require you to give up the Concealment mod.  That is a non-starter for most ships in my view.  Gearing is special because it replaces one concealment mod with another, and there are a few that take slot 6 (for instance Republique) which might work out.  Overall, I don't see much real benefit for most of these.  In particular, I would never give up concealment on Hindy because when the Yamato starts shooting at you, the cloaking device is really handy!  Hindy is tanky for a cruiser, but long range 18" AP really hurts!

Yup. Most of these are DOA due to the slots they take. If the designers played their own game they would know this. 

Edited by HazardDrake

Members
17,799 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

I'm kinda interested in seeing fire retardant Hindy get shot at by 3x Clevelands without IFHE to see how well it can tank.

I'm surprised the fire chance was -50% in the first place. That would have made for a fireproof Hindy lol.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts

To me the Kurfurst, Montana, and Hindy upgrades all look good.  I look forward to trying them out.

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles
7 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Yup. Most of these are DOA due to the slots they take. If the designers played their own game they would know this. 

No, that's the whole point

If these upgrades were excellent, then there's no point in picking any of the other upgrades and is a straight up powercreep

Which is what the Yamato legendary upgrade is

Alpha Tester
2,731 posts
4,343 battles

What can Midway's tier 10 bomber with legendary upgrade plus ASE on Evasive Maneuver endure? :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,749 posts
9,477 battles
18 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

No, that's the whole point

If these upgrades were excellent, then there's no point in picking any of the other upgrades and is a straight up powercreep

Which is what the Yamato legendary upgrade is

Yes, these should be sidegrades, but they look to be mostly downgrades.