You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Ships rendering and visibility... Update?

10 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

So it's been since April 18th since we heard anything about this... Any chance we can get a little update on how things are going? Any progress? Challenges? Findings? 

Anything? 

• Cool 1

Members
9,863 posts

Still 3-5 sec lag time for a ship to show after spotting....perhaps they feel that's good enough?

[NOBS]
Members
471 posts
5,470 battles

I thought it had been better lately, it's still not instant, but the whole ship does appear now. 

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles

Not sure if it’s currently a priority to fix but I’m pretty sure since they had issues with delays and trying to instantaneously show the ship that it has to do with the game coding. If something is coded one way, it takes significant effort to change it and make sure there are no adverse effects. 

My guess is we won’t hear anything for a while since it is “acceptable” currently and there are other things going on with the game.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
782 posts
4,726 battles

Almost liked it better before.  At least I could shoot at the spot below the sudden smoke where the sudden shells were coming from.  

It is still a problem, but most likely a problem that's going to require a significant rewrite of the visibility and rendering code.  Prebuffering an asset client-side before it's generated is a very, very delicate process that could lead to some very significant exploitation.  If you thought 1337hax04z were bad before the recent mod purges... yech, don't even want to think about it.

-R

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I'm seeing WG really increase their presence online, providing a lot of support and information to newer players. Kind of hoping they'll keep this trend going by providing some insights on this stickied technical issue. I have no doubt it's a big issue... and I don't expect anything but would sure like to see that sticky updated every couple patches.

[YORHA]
Members
3,247 posts

UPDATE:   still not working.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
4 hours ago, JCC45 said:

UPDATE:   still not working.

I concur with this assessment...

Members
1,767 posts
8,068 battles
7 hours ago, awiggin said:

Still 3-5 sec lag time for a ship to show after spotting....perhaps they feel that's good enough?

5 second lag for auto lock.

5 second lag for showing obstruction icon

Get the server new hamsters?

[CAST]
Members
1,158 posts
7,174 battles

The rendering lag isn't as bad as it used to be.   However, from time to time, it is still annoying to see the shots come out of the ocean where you know the ship is, and still not be able to see, or target for another 3 to 5 seconds.