Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Would it be worth it getting AFT?

10 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts

For my Kiev which is almost fully upgraded last but not least the 8KM torpedoes.  But while playing this I notice it's not as much of a torpedo boat but more of a gun boat.  Like a Miniature cruiser.  With a rate of fire about like Atlantas.  I could easily grind the captains XP for the Advanced Firing Training which would increase my main battery firing range out to 14 KM I think.  Would this be worth it?  Or are the shells too floaty?

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

It's worth it, Kiev has good arcs and can hit things at 14km.  You spend so much time firing outside of smoke anyway that you kinda need it to help mitigate the times where you're dealing with T9 and T10 ships shooting at you.

Members
1,125 posts
6,693 battles

AFT is worth it imo.  You can play it like all the other gun boat russians.  aka fire from long range at high speed where people have a hard time hitting you.   You can still fight for caps.   AFT is great for the khaba and the tashkent as well. 

[KWA]
Members
116 posts
7,861 battles

AFT is a borderline requirement on most Russian DDs. Many captains, including me, will choose to take it instead of Concealment Expert, as most ships in the line get out-spotted even with a full concealment build. The line of thinking is, if not shooting your guns in a Russian DD your not doing your job. The change in playstyle is that you shadow and support allied DDs in the early game then harass larger ships in the mid-late game.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
Just now, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

AFT is a borderline requirement on most Russian DDs. Many captains, including me, will choose to take it instead of Concealment Expert, as most ships in the line get out-spotted even with a full concealment build. The line of thinking is, if not shooting your guns in a Russian DD your not doing your job. The change in playstyle is that you shadow and support allied DDs in the early game then harass larger ships in the mid-late game.

Kiev was actually the last point in that side of the line where I ran with CE, for the Tashkent and Khaba I went all in on guns and rudder.  Its detection still sucked compared to its competition, but it was nice to be able to break detection if I needed to.  I miss having that ability a lot with the Khaba.

Members
3,774 posts

I'm actually running CE right now but I'm considering Re Specing.  So I guess I will be grinding some elite xp and re specing.  With that being said.  I know AFT what other skills should I run.  I almost always go with Super Intendant.  I don't really see the point of Expert Marksmen because the turret turn radius for Kiev is actually pretty decent.  I'm actually considering taking Smoke Screen expert but I'm not exactly sure in what way or how that would really benefit me.

Edited by SuperSpud1

Members
3,774 posts

The way I currently have my captain set but I will be respecting green circles are what I want and what I'm considering.

shot-18.06.19_09.22.35-0780.jpg

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

I usually plan for long term for all of my ships and I believe you got a good idea of what you want. I tend to want to differentiate from other players so some of my ships may be "unconventional".

Example:

• My Ryujo has Last Stand and Emergency Takoff
    • Both of these skills are needed with each other because that is how I play
    • I believe Emergency Takeoff is a useless skill for most CV players because most CV players don't like to be near the front and when they are or when they are shot at, they usually runaway
    • Last Stand is needed for me because the moment I stop, I am dead
    • I generally don't runaway because I don't want to be broadsided so I rather push forward while fire is rained on me while at the same time I got planes flying, engine still running despite getting taken out, and my secondaries firing
  • Richelieu has Concealment Expert, Advanced Firing Training, Manual Secondary Guns and I am still debating on Manual Anti-Air
    • My Richelieu and Dunkerque are commanded by the same CO
    • Richelieu is fast enough to runaway and escape the enemy after concealment is restarted
      • I am willing to do a full u-turn as long as I am far enough to get away and possibly confuse an enemy
    • Manual Anti-Air is useful because Richelieu has numerous high-caliber AA guns
      • Dunkerque also has numerous high-caliber AA guns
  • No specific Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship
    • I find that having Priority Target, Incoming Fire Alarm to both be useful
      • You know how many are looking at you and you know when to turn a little bit to the left

[HEROS]
Members
1,397 posts
11,810 battles

AFT at those tiers dealing with the amount of radar that you can run into?  Yea, get the AFT.

It's a must have in my mind on any DD that can shoot over 12 Km.. they high tier russian boats, the AKizuki (and its "soon" (tm) to appear tier IX and X gunboat line ships.  The tX Harugumo with AFT at the moment will be able to pump shots out to I think it was 17-17.3 Km.  Sit back and shell em in DD's is going to be useful.   Harugumo with take advantage of the long range shoot em up by keeping a nearly non stop barrage of fire from its 10x100mm guns and will no longer need IFHE to hurt DD's when it's released (the thinned plating on DD should go live right around the same time)

Oh and a funny thing happens with those DD gun rounds at those extended ranges... they get a gravity boost and gain BACK some of the velocity they've lost getting out to distance.   If im reading my charts and tables  right IJN 100 MM rounds may just be amle to pen 40mm, possible 50mm of deck armor at that extended range.  Add the ROF and accuracy of the guns in (very accurate) and this ship could end up being a very real menace to battleships and cruisers at ranges over 14 Km where your getting deck hits that are going in at a sufficiently steep angle as to not bounce and shatter.   I'm still looking over the numbers I know.

Your russian DD's even with a slightly slower ROF are still highly accurate, and that range bonus from AFT should be might handy allowing you to stay far 'nuff out to be able to dodge incoming.  Your also much faster then the IJN Gunboat line (33 knots for the tier Viii, and iX, 35.5 for the tier X) which should also help keep you alive..  There no real downside to it.  And the high tier RU DD's do have decent AA and the AFT will help that also.

All commander skills and ship upgrade module all have some sort of trade off.    Pick wisely and always remember think carefully.  If the most popular "right" answer does not jibe with your style of play then it's NOT the right answer.    If the game were as simple as some folks seem to make it to be the AI bots would be kicking all of our butts!  I've seen it happen in other games.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,391 battles
1 hour ago, SuperSpud1 said:

I'm actually running CE right now but I'm considering Re Specing.  So I guess I will be grinding some elite xp and re specing.  With that being said.  I know AFT what other skills should I run.  I almost always go with Super Intendant.  I don't really see the point of Expert Marksmen because the turret turn radius for Kiev is actually pretty decent.  I'm actually considering taking Smoke Screen expert but I'm not exactly sure in what way or how that would really benefit me.

Sh.. can concealment get AFT. I run RDF instead of IF HE because late game I like to hunt any and all remaining DD's.

Sign in to follow this