Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

Helena camo contest results.

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,668 battles

 

So, based on the schedule laid out on the Helena camo contest link, the results and public voting should have begun quite a few hours ago. I realize that because it will be a vote going on all the servers at the same time, there will be some delays.

Is it possible to get an ETA however?

Link is up now to vote

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/camo-n-feel-the-noise/

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles

Whatever the winning camo is, I've exactly zero interest. I prefer the more historically accurate / conventional camos already in the game, and will strap a permanent one for doubloons on my Helena, which will become Atlanta v 2.0.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,464
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles

I liked the coast guard camo. The rest were kinda' meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles

Just give me the ship so I can be Atlanta 2.0. Lol. Her concealment's about 1 km less than Atlanta, not sure how much of a difference it will make. At least with her 16mm frontal armor I heard she won't be penned by 203mm AP from the front. Atlanta gets penned everywhere.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,464
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles
Just now, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Her concealment's about 1 km less than Atlanta, not sure how much of a difference it will make.

 

Atlanta will be at a massive advantage because she gets RADAR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
2 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

 

Atlanta will be at a massive advantage because she gets RADAR. 

Her radar's really spoiled me........ Boise will also get radar but I'm worried about the reload and maneuverability. According to WoWS Numbers Atlanta's average damage has been increasing a bit, and recently I've been seeing Atlantas a lot more often than usual.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,464
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles

The nice thing about Boise's RADAR is it's basically neutral with her concealment.

 

With CE and the concealment module, she'll have 10.1km concealment and 9.9km RADAR. Which is going to be awesome. 

 

Problem is, she's going to need a minimum 14pt captain. She needs both IFHE and CE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
Just now, ramp4ge said:

The nice thing about Boise's RADAR is it's basically neutral with her concealment.

 

With CE and the concealment module, she'll have 10.1km concealment and 9.9km RADAR. Which is going to be awesome. 

I think Helena gets 9.5km concealment with CE, compared to Atlanta's 8.6km. Both aren't that different in terms of maneuverability. I mean Helena's the bigger ship and a "true" light cruiser, but I think 9.2 s rudder shift and 680m turning circle's still fairly agile. How do you think she'll perform statistically on average compared to the other Tier 7 cruisers like NO, Fiji, Belfast, Algerie, Yorck, and Myoko?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,464
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles
1 minute ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

How do you think she'll perform statistically on average compared to the other Tier 7 cruisers like NO, Fiji, Belfast, Algerie, Yorck, and Myoko?

 

Not that great, honestly, because she's going to have a very niche playstyle that a lot of people are going to fail hard at. That and the fact that like Boise, she'll NEED a 14 point captain to really be usable. And nobody grinding her is likely to have a 14 point captain. So she'll shine in the hands of clubbers, but she'll probably be a nightmare to newer-ish players grinding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
4 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

 

Not that great, honestly, because she's going to have a very niche playstyle that a lot of people are going to fail hard at. 

And to my own surprise, I've succeeded in the Atlanta which is arguably more difficult to play due to her smaller caliber guns and fragility. But then if you look at my profile, I have done above average in a number of niche ships like the old Pensacola, old Cleveland, post-buff Colorado, Furutaka, and Aoba. I bought the Atlanta because I've always been curious to try it out, but also because I wanted to train myself a bit for the CL line. It has ended up becoming a favorite much to my astonishment, and I hope to replicate the success (with more alpha damage from HE) in the USN CLs.

   Also, do you think a ship with not-so-high server averages equals a niche ship? I mean, a ship like the New Mexico and the North Carolina have lower average WR and damage compared to their non-USN counterparts, but many people think they're good ships and from what I've heard NC has become the most popular choice for competitive modes among Tier 8 BBs.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,464
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles

I'm actually looking forward to Dallas more right now because I want another tier 6 Operations boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
2 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

I'm actually looking forward to Dallas more right now because I want another tier 6 Operations boat. 

But she's significantly worse than the old Cleveland at Tier 6. Less guns, significantly less HP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,668 battles
28 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Whatever the winning camo is, I've exactly zero interest. I prefer the more historically accurate / conventional camos already in the game, and will strap a permanent one for doubloons on my Helena, which will become Atlanta v 2.0.

Lots of the camouflage schemes that were submitted are if not more, at least as historically accurate as the permanent camouflages that Wargaming offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Lots of the camouflage schemes that were submitted are if not more, at least as historically accurate as the permanent camouflages that Wargaming offers.

Ah that's good then. I'll try to get a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
76
[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,072 battles

Where do we go to vote 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,668 battles
6 minutes ago, justdags said:

Where do we go to vote 

Thats the thing, there was supposed to be a page up, but nothing yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,668 battles

Ok, so on the Russian server portal, the results are already up if anyone wants  to check.

https://worldofwarships.ru/ru/news/contest/vote_it_black/

And this is the voting link

http://chooseyourhelena.hscampaigns.com/#submissions

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,045
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
44 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Whatever the winning camo is, I've exactly zero interest. I prefer the more historically accurate / conventional camos already in the game, and will strap a permanent one for doubloons on my Helena, which will become Atlanta v 2.0.

Not being a jerk or starting anything with you but IMO Helena really isn't an Atlanta V2. Even if you will play them similar I don't really see them being the same ship types...

  • ROF: Atlanta 4.5 sec vs Helena 8.5 sec = Atlanta
  • Main Guns: Atlanta 127MM vs Helena 152MM = Helena
  • Main Gun Range: Atlanta 13.3km w/ AFT vs Helena 14.6km = Helena
  • Torpedoes: none for Helena = Atlanta
  • Radar: none for Helena = Atlanta
  • Concealment: Atlanta at 9.4km w/ CE vs Helena at 10.5km w/ CE = Atlanta
  • AA: Atlanta base rating 64 Helena base rating 52 = Atlanta

Worcester might actually be more of an Atlanta V2.

Again just an opinion and civil discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,045
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
50 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I think Helena gets 9.5km concealment with CE, compared to Atlanta's 8.6km. Both aren't that different in terms of maneuverability. I mean Helena's the bigger ship and a "true" light cruiser, but I think 9.2 s rudder shift and 680m turning circle's still fairly agile. How do you think she'll perform statistically on average compared to the other Tier 7 cruisers like NO, Fiji, Belfast, Algerie, Yorck, and Myoko?

Your concealment numbers are off quite a bit. Atlanta and Helena don't have access to CSM1 so they only can get reduced concealment from the CE Capt skill which gives a -12%.

Atlanta:

  • Base Concealment = 10.7km
  • 10.7 - 12% (1.284) = 9.416
  • Concealment w/ CE = 9.4km

Helena:

  • Base Concealment = 11.9km
  • 11.9 - 12% (1.428) = 10.472
  • Concealment w/ CE = 10.5km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,741 posts
5,464 battles
1 hour ago, ramp4ge said:

I liked the coast guard camo. The rest were kinda' meh.

You didn't like that great white fleet camo someone submitted based off the color scheme of the older St. Louis at T3?

I thought that camo looked pretty awesome, and I hope it gets into the finalists and/or wins.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Your concealment numbers are off quite a bit. Atlanta and Helena don't have access to CSM1 so they only can get reduced concealment from the CE Capt skill which gives a -12%.

Atlanta:

  • Base Concealment = 10.7km
  • 10.7 - 12% (1.284) = 9.416
  • Concealment w/ CE = 9.4km

Helena:

  • Base Concealment = 11.9km
  • 11.9 - 12% (1.428) = 10.472
  • Concealment w/ CE = 10.5km

Sorry for the wrong numbers, I forgot that CE only gives -12% reduction in detection for cruisers. What do you think Helena's playstyle will be? Is it completely like the Atlanta, or will there be key differences?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
1 hour ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Whatever the winning camo is, I've exactly zero interest. I prefer the more historically accurate / conventional camos already in the game, and will strap a permanent one for doubloons on my Helena, which will become Atlanta v 2.0.

You're probably going to be disappointed then, because Helena's permanent camo belongs to her sister ship St Louis. Same old Measure 32 scheme.

049B.jpg

 

Helena's camo actually looked like this, and it will not be in the game AFAIK.

uss_helena_cl_50__july_1942____measure_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,668 battles

I am very happy to announce one of my best friends IRL, Leftos,  got into the top 10 with the "Resurfaced" submission. He is on NA as well, so if you enjoy his submission vote :Smile-_tongue: Regardless, I have to say Gorgon's Wrath, though completely fictional has incredible job done on it

 

d0a3319a-73bc-11e8-a387-d89d6715223c_120

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,045
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
2 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Sorry for the wrong numbers, I forgot that CE only gives -12% reduction in detection for cruisers. What do you think Helena's playstyle will be? Is it completely like the Atlanta, or will there be key differences?

I think, from what I see stat wise on Helena it will be somewhere between Atlanta and the old Cleveland at T6 for playstyle. Island humping and cover spamming HE when possible but with a couple differences...

  1. Atlanta has a bit better concealment so it can push staying close a little longer as it can fade away quicker PLUS it has the last stand big alpha strike weapon of torps if you screw up and stay too long. You can at least take something with you or even sink it and live. Helena, like Cleveland, will take longer to fade away and without torps it can not afford any mistakes letting things get super close. So Helena will have to abandon ship (pardon the pun) sooner than Atlanta does.
  2. Helena will be more like Cleveland than Atlanta when it has to fight in open water. While it won't be able to take hits the old Cleveland could it will take them better than Atlanta can (which is to say none and not at all LOL).

Just my preliminary thoughts not that they will turn out accurate or correct. Played quite a bit of Atlanta but haven't Helena yet so we will see. I do know the 8.5 sec reload for Helena alone will make these 2 ships very different. It will be like a 7 sec CL vs a 15 sec CA on the ROF differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,045
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
13 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

You didn't like that great white fleet camo someone submitted based off the color scheme of the older St. Louis at T3?

I thought that camo looked pretty awesome, and I hope it gets into the finalists and/or wins.

I didn't follow along during the contest so the only ones I have seen are the 10 finalists (just went and looked). While they are all well done from a design/technical viewpoint I have to say I am not a huge fan of most of them. They are either crazy weird/strange or just not appropriate WW1-WW2 camo's. The 2 I like the best are the Corsair version and then the one that is white/blue/gold. They are the only 2 of those 10 I would use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×