You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Hidden numbers: Which ships have 'hidden' EXP modifiers?

33 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

What has brought some suspicion to me lately is the Atlanta's base EXP gain at the end of a battle. I've had a number of matches where I did 40-50k damage and didn't really cap or take large chunks off DDs, but still ended up 2nd or 3rd on the team. I got kills on those matches. Even in a mediocre 40-45k match without any kills, I've still ended up 5th. I don't think I've placed so consistently in the Top 3 in other Tier 7 cruisers, or any cruiser really. So my question is, does the Atlanta, and other ships, have "hidden" modifiers to their base EXP that automatically gives them higher base EXP for whatever they do? Or is it just because that my other team mates simply didn't do as well as me?

Assuming I get more or less an equal result, say 100k damage in Atlanta, and 100k damage in New Orleans. In both of those matches I took approximately the same chunk of health off of two destroyers, and I got the same number of kills / amount of proportionate damage to my targets. Will the Atlanta still give me a higher base EXP, and therefore a higher position on the scoreboard, than the NO for having played to the same results?

Do different classes / ships / lines have their own formulas for base EXP? I mean, I'd like to believe that my consistent placement in the Top 3-4 when playing the Atlanta is solely the result of my familiarity with the Atlanta, rather than external modifiers.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[YARRR]
Members
392 posts
4,726 battles

It is a premium ship, so yes it does pay out better.

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

I know premium ships on average have higher base EXP and credit gain, but say if I played equally well (or better) in a New Orleans I'd still be below the Atlanta on my team when it comes to the scoreboard?

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles

Isn't the scoreboard a measure of base exp without modifiers?

Any premium status or flags should be modifiers, no? Shouldn't everything have the same base exp earning potential and then have modifiers stacked ontop of that base earning potential? 

• Cool 2

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

I assume 90% of players in this game are / have been on long-term premium, because I heard the average EXP shown on stats sites takes all the modifiers into account. For example, I've only started using premium time quite recently, and in the past I didn't learn that XP is proportionate to the amount of HP taken from targets. In cruisers I dueled BBs a lot, in BBs I shot at enemy BBs instead of cruisers. OTOH I've seen below average / average players with higher average EXP in their profiles.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

3,623 posts
521 battles

If it takes modifiers into account than it's broken. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,027 posts
7,609 battles

Some premium ships do have a [mystery descriptor word -- what could it be?  You'll never know!] base experience earning coefficient than their peers.  But then again, some tech tree ships also have modified experience earning coefficients.  This is before any modification for flags, signals, camouflage, events, etc.  Sims and Atlanta are two ships that appear to have spiked earning yields.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
946 posts
5,676 battles
10 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Some premium ships do have a base experience earning coefficient than their peers.  But then again, some tech tree ships also have modified experience earning coefficients.  This is before any modification for flags, signals, camouflage, events, etc.  Sims and Atlanta are two ships that appear to have spiked earning yields.

Yes,  I recall during Ranked Battles Season 7, that someone started a thread titled "SIMS is Ranked GOLD!!!" or very similar to that, based on the proposition that it had a higher base XP multiplier than its Tier 7 competitors.

A quick search reveals it was NoZoupForYou. The thread:

USS Sims is Ranked Gold - forum thread

Some links to the Wiki with some very old (Build 0.5.2, 0.5.3, etc.) XP earnings multipliers for ships.

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

I'll just point out that, your rank on the team depends on the quality of the rest of the team too. 

I played a match recently where I got about 45k in damage in a Cleveland. I was number one on my team. No caps, no kills, just the damage (about half from fires). The rest of the team totally folded and I think we got zero kills on the enemy. 

In that case, I was top of my team, not because I'm awesome, but because everyone else was so much worse. 

So, it could also be that there are 2-3 players on your team that are carrying the team and are getting the vast majority of the XP, while the rest of the team might as well not even have shown up to the battle. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,128 posts
8,749 battles
1 hour ago, ramp4ge said:

Any premium status or flags should be modifiers, no? Shouldn't everything have the same base exp earning potential and then have modifiers stacked ontop of that base earning potential? 

This, the only modifier to base experience is the +50% win bonus so for example you earn 500 base exp what will show in the results is 750 base if you won.

Members
9,862 posts
1 hour ago, OgreMkV said:

I'll just point out that, your rank on the team depends on the quality of the rest of the team too. 

I played a match recently where I got about 45k in damage in a Cleveland. I was number one on my team. No caps, no kills, just the damage (about half from fires). The rest of the team totally folded and I think we got zero kills on the enemy. 

In that case, I was top of my team, not because I'm awesome, but because everyone else was so much worse. 

So, it could also be that there are 2-3 players on your team that are carrying the team and are getting the vast majority of the XP, while the rest of the team might as well not even have shown up to the battle. 

I regularly see Atlantas playing poorly, and yet still at or near the top of the scoreboard....

Same with the tier 7 ops, you'll see an Atlanta do seemingly very little in the game, yet top the scoreboard.

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles
18 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I regularly see Atlantas playing poorly, and yet still at or near the top of the scoreboard....

Same with the tier 7 ops, you'll see an Atlanta do seemingly very little in the game, yet top the scoreboard.

That's fair. I just wanted to mention the other possibility. 

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Some premium ships do have a base experience earning coefficient than their peers.

Are we missing a word in this sentence? Like "higher" or "greater" after coefficient.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,027 posts
7,609 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Are we missing a word in this sentence? Like "higher" or "greater" after coefficient.

We are.  It's a mystery for the ages!

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
25 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

We are.  It's a mystery for the ages!

See, I would have gone and put it in the wrong place. LOL Miss Mouse.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[DKM]
Members
106 posts
14,389 battles
3 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

no, look at sims and you know that some ships have hidden exp multiplier

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,103 posts
18,616 battles

It’s hard to compare the xp since they are also modified by what you do. A Atlanta with low damage could easy be on top since all the damage was from 2 DD of same or higher tier. 20k damage on loliboats net you more then 20k damage on a BB. Then like I said tier difference. 45k in a Cleveland from a T10 BB gives more XP then you get from a T6. Rumour has it that DD get more XP from a cap then other ships. Plus the ship own modifier for base XP. Sims and Atlanta seems to be the worst offender in this category. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,888 posts
3,268 battles

due to the fact that we only know that specific actions awards experience, but not how much experience those actions give, it is impossible to determine if there is a hidden multiplier, without digging into the game's code.

So it could very well be possible, that there are hidden experience boosters that we do not know about.

9 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Rumour has it that DD get more XP from a cap then other ships. Plus the ship own modifier for base XP. Sims and Atlanta seems to be the worst offender in this category.

Unless WG comes out with the experience earning, and/or someone looks deep into the game's code and reveals the information, this will forever remain a rumor.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I was thinking "different" myself, since it can be lower too.

Members
9,862 posts
1 hour ago, OgreMkV said:

That's fair. I just wanted to mention the other possibility. 

Just always found it odd. I'd even check the Atlanta's stats, and the stats would generally be pretty meh, but the guy was top scorer.

My objection to having "hidden variables" that only WG knows is that they can change them anytime they feel like it, and we'd never know whether something was changed, or RNG is just bending you over with out lube.

The very fact that they have hidden multipliers seems to bring in to question what else is manipulated behind the scenes.....:cap_hmm:

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
30 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

due to the fact that we only know that specific actions awards experience, but not how much experience those actions give, it is impossible to determine if there is a hidden multiplier, without digging into the game's code.

So it could very well be possible, that there are hidden experience boosters that we do not know about.

Unless WG comes out with the experience earning, and/or someone looks deep into the game's code and reveals the information, this will forever remain a rumor.

WG's penchant for opaque game mechanics is probably their worst trait.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

It’s hard to compare the xp since they are also modified by what you do. A Atlanta with low damage could easy be on top since all the damage was from 2 DD of same or higher tier. 20k damage on loliboats net you more then 20k damage on a BB. Then like I said tier difference. 45k in a Cleveland from a T10 BB gives more XP then you get from a T6. Rumour has it that DD get more XP from a cap then other ships. Plus the ship own modifier for base XP. Sims and Atlanta seems to be the worst offender in this category. 

This.

I can have a low Damage game with Montana, say 40k-50k while my Div Mates playing other ships like Hindenburg, rack up 100k+ Damage.  Yet I can get Top Score with 40k-50k damage because I was smacking DDs that our team finds with Montana's guns.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
5 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Yes,  I recall during Ranked Battles Season 7, that someone started a thread titled "SIMS is Ranked GOLD!!!" or very similar to that, based on the proposition that it had a higher base XP multiplier than its Tier 7 competitors.

A quick search reveals it was NoZoupForYou. The thread:

USS Sims is Ranked Gold - forum thread

Some links to the Wiki with some very old (Build 0.5.2, 0.5.3, etc.) XP earnings multipliers for ships.

I remember when this went down.  People were all talking about Sims' Knife Fighting ability and XP earnings in Ranked.  She was not in the Premium Shop in a long time at that point.  When that Ranked Season ended and the talk about her was still in the air, guess who showed up as soon as Ranked ended?

SIMS

"Strike when the iron is hot."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BBC]
Members
908 posts
12,227 battles

the SIMS gets more exp  for the same tasks than other ships. this was tested in ranked. 

a hidden modifier was applied to the sims due to its bad performance in standard games.