You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TexJapan

How much XP for new Line?

21 comments in this topic

[VFW]
Members
906 posts
20,784 battles

BLUF:  With the upcoming USN CLs arriving soon, how much XP is needed to research the Line?

Background:  I have all the T10s and have researched all ships so I don't see the baseline XP requirements for ships anymore in the tech tree.   In getting ready for the CLs, I've re-bought the Omaha and built back ship XP on it to get the T6 Dallas when it arrives (about 35K stored on it).  For my Cleveland been playing it a bit to build up ship XP for research of the Seattle but I don't know how much is needed.

Credit will not be a problem nor will free XP although I'm curious how much XP I'll need for research of the Helena, Seattle, and Worcester.   Not a big issue, just curious. 

VR,

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
420 posts
6,201 battles

If you have all the ships researched and bought in your port ( Pepsi, NO, Buffalo, and Des Moines) you will get the new ships ( Pepsi - Dallas, NO - Helena, Buffalo - Seattle, Des- Worcester) for free regardless of how many exp you accumulated ( with port slots for them). <----- Tho not sure about this myself

T8 Balti wont have anything since we already have T8 Cleve for it

Edited by KAGA_kaini

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,127 posts
18,640 battles

If you have the Cleveland fully researched it’s 179k till the Seattle. From there on it’s about 45k for the second hull plus around 250k to T10

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,870 posts
4,001 battles
37 minutes ago, KAGA_kaini said:

If you have all the ships researched and bought in your port ( Pepsi, NO, Buffalo, and Des Moines) you will get the new ships ( Pepsi - Dallas, NO - Helena, Buffalo - Seattle, Des- Worcester) for free regardless of how many exp you accumulate

Where on earth did you get this idea?

OP, start here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Pensacola 

I would be willing to bet that the research costs and purchase prices of the light cruisers won't differ from the heavies by more than a thousand or so for XP and a few hundred thousand for credits. But having Cleveland is not going to unlock Dallas or Helena, and having the heavy cruisers is not going to unlock or pay for any of the light cruisers. If you expect this to happen, I think you're in for a terrible disappointment.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
33 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Where on earth did you get this idea?

OP, start here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Pensacola 

I would be willing to bet that the research costs and purchase prices of the light cruisers won't differ from the heavies by more than a thousand or so for XP and a few hundred thousand for credits. But having Cleveland is not going to unlock Dallas or Helena, and having the heavy cruisers is not going to unlock or pay for any of the light cruisers. If you expect this to happen, I think you're in for a terrible disappointment.

Cthulhu, I think that KAGA is only stating what WG's done before, during the Russian DD line split to be exact.

As for the research costs, I think that you're spot on.  The XP costs for the new CL line ships should be very close to those of the CA line's ships.

[VFW]
Members
906 posts
20,784 battles
1 hour ago, KAGA_kaini said:

If you have all the ships researched and bought in your port ( Pepsi, NO, Buffalo, and Des Moines) you will get the new ships ( Pepsi - Dallas, NO - Helena, Buffalo - Seattle, Des- Worcester) for free regardless of how many exp you accumulated ( with port slots for them). <----- Tho not sure about this myself

T8 Balti wont have anything since we already have T8 Cleve for it

Kaga...no you will not just get them for free.   You'll have to research them through XP to unlock.

1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

If you have the Cleveland fully researched it’s 179k till the Seattle. From there on it’s about 45k for the second hull plus around 250k to T10

Erebthoron,  Thanks for the info....I could not recall the XP needed for the T9 USN CA since it's no longer shown in my port.  You answered the mail...appreciated.

VR,

[ARGSY]
Members
5,870 posts
4,001 battles
27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Cthulhu, I think that KAGA is only stating what WG's done before,

We've already got the split benefits in the heavy cruiser line; there won't be a second bite of the cherry.  Just from reading up on what happened in the RU DD split, this was a very complicated thing with multiple ships moving every which way; the US cruiser split was far simpler, with only one lateral transfer (Cleveland) and almost every other cruiser moving down one spot to fill the empty gap. The only complication here is that the US cruiser split is happening over two patches.

My Omaha stands ready with 41K XP; I will have the Dallas on Day 1.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,342 posts
11,500 battles

I believe it is 45k from Omaha to unlock Dallas.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,870 posts
4,001 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I believe it is 45k from Omaha to unlock Dallas.

Source? This figure seems a bit high.

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

My body is ready for Worcester

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,740 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Well for example from Omaha to Pensacola, you need 45,500 xp to unlock it.

This includes researching the hulls for the Omaha before you can start to unlock the Pensacola for 36,500 xp

[ARGSY]
Members
5,870 posts
4,001 battles
1 hour ago, Vader_Sama said:

Well for example from Omaha to Pensacola, you need 45,500 xp to unlock it.

This includes researching the hulls for the Omaha before you can start to unlock the Pensacola for 36,500 xp

Duly noted. However, I had the Cleveland before the split, so my Omaha is fully researched as regards hulls.

You do raise a valid point, however, that the unlock cost quoted for a particular ship specifically implies that the B hull (and sometimes the C hull) for the previous ship has been taken care of. I'm sure that some people who try to free-XP up a line without having done their research get an unpleasant surprise partway through!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,740 battles
49 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Duly noted. However, I had the Cleveland before the split, so my Omaha is fully researched as regards hulls.

You do raise a valid point, however, that the unlock cost quoted for a particular ship specifically implies that the B hull (and sometimes the C hull) for the previous ship has been taken care of. I'm sure that some people who try to free-XP up a line without having done their research get an unpleasant surprise partway through!

In game it tells you how much xp you need before researching the next tier ship if you're looking in the modules tab and it includes whatever kinds of hull you need to research if it hasn't been researched already. While the tech tree just lists what the xp value is for the ship

[ARGSY]
Members
5,870 posts
4,001 battles
5 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

While the tech tree just lists what the xp value is for the ship

I'm willing to wager it's the tech tree which the have-nots drool over most hungrily (until they grind out enough XP to become haves).

Then they look at the actual XP cost and realise there's an extra 20-30K XP built into the higher tier ships and their hearts sink just a little. 

I compare it to moving from Australia to Canada. In Australia, the sticker price on the shelf is what you pay and the taxes are built in; in Canada (and the US when I visited once), they add the sales tax at the till.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

We've already got the split benefits in the heavy cruiser line; there won't be a second bite of the cherry.  Just from reading up on what happened in the RU DD split, this was a very complicated thing with multiple ships moving every which way; the US cruiser split was far simpler, with only one lateral transfer (Cleveland) and almost every other cruiser moving down one spot to fill the empty gap. The only complication here is that the US cruiser split is happening over two patches.

My Omaha stands ready with 41K XP; I will have the Dallas on Day 1.

Actually, I think that you're wrong about this.  When the RU DD split was done, the original line had some ships shift around and players  still managed to get ships in the other line as well.  I would know, since I was around for that split and got a fair number of ships out of it.

As for the Dallas, whether I get for free or not, I also have a fair amount of XP on her and will be able to get the Dallas immediately, if need be.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I do believe 33k exp to research the Dallas Then 72k to research the Helena. Just a guess from past Grinds of Tech Tree ships.

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,556 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Actually, I think that you're wrong about this

He isn't wrong. You do not get all the ships in the new line.

For IJN, I already had every DD ship up to the Shima, but I was only given the new Hatsu. I still had to grind it over again to get to the Shiratsuyu (which I also had to buy) and grind it to get to that Akizuki.

Same with the RU DD split, yes I was given the new Udaloi, but still had to regrind it to get to the Groz, of which I had to buy.

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
2 hours ago, sbcptnitro said:

He isn't wrong. You do not get all the ships in the new line.

For IJN, I already had every DD ship up to the Shima, but I was only given the new Hatsu. I still had to grind it over again to get to the Shiratsuyu (which I also had to buy) and grind it to get to that Akizuki.

Same with the RU DD split, yes I was given the new Udaloi, but still had to regrind it to get to the Groz, of which I had to buy.

I didn't mean to imply that you would.  I meant, if I didn't say it clearly, was that you'd get ships in the new line at the tiers where you owned the ship in the CA line.  That's what happened in the RU DD split.

[VFW]
Members
906 posts
20,784 battles

As it stands, the only ships I'll have to research and buy are Dallas, Helena, Seattle, Worcester.   Now, once the line occurs, I'll have enough ship XP to have the Dallas and Seattle right out of the gate (Omaha and Cleveland have enough XP built).

That means that I'll be playing the Dallas and Settle to built ship XP to research the Helena and Worcester....clear as mud but it's the way.   I'll not free XP nor buy Free XP to accurate up the line, although I will upgrade each ship with Free XP.   So grinding the line really will not take too long before I'll have them all (will see if I keep each though)

I appreciate that everyone kept on topic and keep this a positive and informative post.   Thanks all.

VR,

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,342 posts
11,500 battles
22 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Public test